Guest viewing is limited

Employer letter for shared lives with order?

It's quite simple - I think there's an example on here ............off to look.

That sounds fairly typical - I think they are biased towards Mothers. Judges usually aren't though. Depending on the Judge! It's luck - you could get a great Judge, a lazy Judge or a biased Judge, so if he's representing himself he needs to have a bunch of case law he can quote to the Judge. Judges are obliged to follow case law. Of course the other side might present some conflicting case law - so get some very recent case law! More recent is better. There is plenty of good case law out there as to why it should be shared care.

Case law is basically quoting another case in which there was a Judgement that is relevant.

I would expect he would be cross examining - so he needs to have that prepared - the aim is to undermine the Mother's statement by proving she has lied about something or contradicted herself (which means something isn't true). Mainly using her own statement or any other evidence submitted.

He also needs to know his own statement inside out as he'll be questioned on that. Does Mum have a lawyer?
She has been LIP throughout but indicated that she may have a solicitor for this hearing.

We asked his McKenzie friend about case law and she said that he wouldn’t need to present any cause the judge would be aware that there is case law to support his arguments. I’ve tried to find some myself to try and give him some examples in case he does need it but I’m struggling to find any, mainly cause I’m not sure what to search for or where to look

This is my concern cause his McKenzie friend has said similar and not advised in regards to questions. We’ve come up with questions to ask and he’ll have those with him just in case they’re needed, but he has t had to cross examine before so we don’t even know if the way we have worded the questions will be seen as acceptable by the judge.
Basic method is pull out points where she has contradicted herself or where evidence disproves her position. Keep it focussed on documents before the court. There is no need to attack, let her credibility crumble around her.

Basic method is pull out points where she has contradicted herself or where evidence disproves her position. Keep it focussed on documents before the court. There is no need to attack, let her credibility crumble around her.
That’s how we’ve tried to do it and we have tried to make the questions closed questions where possible so that she hopefully can’t start giving in depth answers

Ok - it must be in a post rather than resources. Need to get one in resources! There is a lot of case law listed in the Legal Resources above but not for shared care - mainly for PA and transfer of residency (or shared care overseas).

For Cross Examination you need a structure prepared in advance. So he needs to go through her statement carefully, in advance. Photocopy it so you can highlight bits and write on it and annotate it. Find something that isn't true. See if you have any evidence in the bundle that proves it isn't true. And or - find bits of her statement that contradict with some other piece of evidence,.

For example if her statement says "The children have always spent Christmas with me and know nothing else and they don't want to spend it anywhere else". And you have a copy email from here agreeing Christmas arrangements with him three years ago say. Then the questioning would go something like:

So you say the Children have only ever spent Christmas with you, is that correct?

At this point she either has to say yes, as it's in her statement, or she'll start to bluster knowing she might be caught out. If she blusters he says

"It's here in your statement isn't it? That the children have only ever spent Christmas with you?" Then she has to say yes.

He then says

"Yet in this email you sent on 12th December 2018, it shows that you agreed the Children would be picked up by me on Christmas Eve and returned at 5pm Christmas Day". She might waffle a bit and say she forgot blah blah. He ignores that and then says

"So what is written in your statement is not true. The Children spent Christmas Day with me in 2018 and this used to be the case on alternate years until 2019 when you changed the arrangements."

That is just an example - there will be other and different points. But you need to prepare - go through the evidence and her statement and find contradictions. The goal is to show to the Judge that something in her statement is not true. Once that is done - her statement is effectively thrown out - meaning he wins the case. Then there's the issue of what the order will say and if it will be shared care.

Take a draft order with you. With everything on it that you want in an order. Then if and when the Judge agrees to all the points (or most of them) you say - I have a draft order here Sir, which just needs a brief amendment at clause b) to comply with your ruling, which perhaps you could do in pen, and then the order can be left at court for sealing.

Having said all that - her lawyer (if she has one) will be doing the same thing - trying to catch your partner out and prove he has lied about something. Hence he must know his statement back to front and inside out and be sure everything in it is 100% correct. If there's a slight discrepancy - prepare an answer for that in advance.

The other thing they want to do, as well as prove you're lying (and vice versa) is get you angry and flustered and hope you lose your cool. Don't do that. If under pressure, pause, breathe for a moment and clear your head, then respond calmly. If you don't know what to say, just say, I'm not sure I would need to try and remember or something.

You need to get really prepared this week-end. Get him to practice his cross examination on you like role play and you can advise whether the manner etc is right.

Get some caselaw together for why shared care is best and appropriate.

Finally - some McKenzie friends are not very good and can harm your case. I hope yours is a good one, but don't follow everything you're told - think for yourself.

This is his chance to get a very good order or not.

Has somebody gone through order of play on the day?

My understanding:

Usually applicant will speak first.

Respondent will cross examine first.

Applicant then to cross examine.

Respondent sums up first.

Applicant sums up second.

They can reverse summing up if respondent is LIP and applicant is represented.

They can refer to the person being cross examined as "giving evidence".

Summing up is important, chance to deal with anything left hanging and make the strongest points.

Ok - it must be in a post rather than resources. Need to get one in resources! There is a lot of case law listed in the Legal Resources above but not for shared care - mainly for PA and transfer of residency (or shared care overseas).

For Cross Examination you need a structure prepared in advance. So he needs to go through her statement carefully, in advance. Photocopy it so you can highlight bits and write on it and annotate it. Find something that isn't true. See if you have any evidence in the bundle that proves it isn't true. And or - find bits of her statement that contradict with some other piece of evidence,.

For example if her statement says "The children have always spent Christmas with me and know nothing else and they don't want to spend it anywhere else". And you have a copy email from here agreeing Christmas arrangements with him three years ago say. Then the questioning would go something like:

So you say the Children have only ever spent Christmas with you, is that correct?

At this point she either has to say yes, as it's in her statement, or she'll start to bluster knowing she might be caught out. If she blusters he says

"It's here in your statement isn't it? That the children have only ever spent Christmas with you?" Then she has to say yes.

He then says

"Yet in this email you sent on 12th December 2018, it shows that you agreed the Children would be picked up by me on Christmas Eve and returned at 5pm Christmas Day". She might waffle a bit and say she forgot blah blah. He ignores that and then says

"So what is written in your statement is not true. The Children spent Christmas Day with me in 2018 and this used to be the case on alternate years until 2019 when you changed the arrangements."

That is just an example - there will be other and different points. But you need to prepare - go through the evidence and her statement and find contradictions. The goal is to show to the Judge that something in her statement is not true. Once that is done - her statement is effectively thrown out - meaning he wins the case. Then there's the issue of what the order will say and if it will be shared care.

Take a draft order with you. With everything on it that you want in an order. Then if and when the Judge agrees to all the points (or most of them) you say - I have a draft order here Sir, which just needs a brief amendment at clause b) to comply with your ruling, which perhaps you could do in pen, and then the order can be left at court for sealing.

Having said all that - her lawyer (if she has one) will be doing the same thing - trying to catch your partner out and prove he has lied about something. Hence he must know his statement back to front and inside out and be sure everything in it is 100% correct. If there's a slight discrepancy - prepare an answer for that in advance.

The other thing they want to do, as well as prove you're lying (and vice versa) is get you angry and flustered and hope you lose your cool. Don't do that. If under pressure, pause, breathe for a moment and clear your head, then respond calmly. If you don't know what to say, just say, I'm not sure I would need to try and remember or something.

You need to get really prepared this week-end. Get him to practice his cross examination on you like role play and you can advise whether the manner etc is right.

Get some caselaw together for why shared care is best and appropriate.

Finally - some McKenzie friends are not very good and can harm your case. I hope yours is a good one, but don't follow everything you're told - think for yourself.

This is his chance to get a very good order or not.
So mum had the chance to submit her own evidence and has submitted nothing. Judge only said dad would cross examine, I think it’s cause he’s made allegations of breaches and she hasn’t. We’ve gone through each breach and based questions on her response and listed the evidence he has to prove each breach which shows her repose to the breach is lies. Hopefully we’ve done a good enough job on that but will definitely look at case law and get him to practice the questions with me

I read an opening statement is sometimes asked for but been told they don’t normally ask for this anymore. We’ve prepared one just in case

Ok there's a list of shared care case law on here. But it's not particularly up to date. It's still relevant but something recent would help as well.

Under each case you click the drop down menu and can read the Judgement. Pick out ones that apply. Then you just say something like

Sir, Re K 2008 EWCA 526 makes clear that ""Such an order emphasises the fact that both parents are equal in the eyes of the law and that they have equal duties and responsibilities as parents. The order can have the additional advantage of conveying the court´s message that neither parent is in control and that the court expects parents to co-operate with each other for the benefit of their children."

And likewise T vs T 2010 EWCA 1366 states ""26. In Re AR (A Child: Relocation) [2010] EWHC 1346 (Fam), Mostyn J said that a joint or shared residence order "is nowadays the rule rather than the exception even where the quantum of care undertaken by each parent is decidedly unequal". That, in my view, is to go too far. Whether or not a joint or shared residence order is granted depends upon a determination of what is in the best interests of the child in the light of all the factors in the individual case. However, it has certainly been established that it is not a pre-requisite for a shared residence order that the periods of time spent with each adult should be equal and nor is it necessary that there should be co-operation and goodwill between them and shared residence orders have been made in cases where there is hostility. Re A is an example of this as the parents were there said to be "at loggerheads"."

That is absolute Rubbish saying the Judge will just know the case law. He probably will but the point of final hearing is it's adversarial and one side has to convince the Judge their argument is right and their position for an order is the right one. The Judge will be swayed by case law as well as the particular circumstances.

I think you need a skeleton argument as well.

So mum had the chance to submit her own evidence and has submitted nothing. Judge only said dad would cross examine, I think it’s cause he’s made allegations of breaches and she hasn’t. We’ve gone through each breach and based questions on her response and listed the evidence he has to prove each breach which shows her repose to the breach is lies. Hopefully we’ve done a good enough job on that but will definitely look at case law and get him to practice the questions with me
I take my hat off to you, he is lucky to have such great support.

Has somebody gone through order of play on the day?

My understanding:

Usually applicant will speak first.

Respondent will cross examine first.

Applicant then to cross examine.

Respondent sums up first.

Applicant sums up second.

They can reverse summing up if respondent is LIP and applicant is represented.

They can refer to the person being cross examined as "giving evidence".

Summing up is important, chance to deal with anything left hanging and make the strongest points.
It was only said that dad would cross examine, for the allegations of breaches he has put forward. Mum hasn't put any forward or submitted any evidence so would they still ask her to cross examine dad?

Is this an enforcement hearing?

Ok so although it's a final hearing it's not a final hearing for a Child Arrangements order but for variation of an order?

Anyway most of the above doesn't apply then. He will only be cross examining about allegations. It will be a similar style of cross examination though - and still take a draft order. It wouldn't do any harm to have some case law prepared to quote. (Particularly that last one about shared care still being appropriate even if there is hostility).

Who has made the allegations?

Dad has made the allegations against mum and has plenty evidence to back the allegations up which has all been submitted.
Yes there's already an order which was breached, so the current order will be varied.

Keep coming on over the week-end if you need any help. What are his allegations? Manipulation? PA? Was his application for enforcement or variation or both?

Obstruction of his contact with one of the children. Basically PA although I know it can't be put across as PA. Mum withheld contact numerous times for no good reason.
Enforcement was originally applied for and the judge later gave permission for him to submit an application for residence.

Ok I'm with you. So he's applied for residence, Cafcass did a section 7 and said shared care - if he can prove xyz with employer? It makes sense a bit now. From what I've seen, if a Dad applies for residence, Cafcass gang up with the Mother. It's sickening really that they think it's fine for a Mother to screw up a kid like that.

If his application for residence is still in, the Judge can, technically, order anything he wants at an enforcement hearing. And although this is a fact find it could turn into a final hearing as well. So maybe you need to be looking at case law for change of residence. There's the odd bit on here under Legal Resources.

Chances are it's more likely to be shared care than change of residence but he could ask for a suspended residence order. What that means is, if she breaches again, residence is automatically transferred.

No sorry he originally went for full residence but section 7 said for residence to stay with mum and him to get extra time in school holidays. Because of the argument Cafcass put forward for this he changed his request to shared care, the judge stated in the last hearing she would not be agreeing to him having full residency so that is definitely a no go. He put forward the argument for shared care and judge stated they’d go to fact find but said this will also be final hearing, so everything will be decided at this hearing.

We have already mentioned possibility of a suspended residence order before he asked for a share of residency and we’ve talked about possibly asking for liberty to restore.

Back