Guest viewing is limited

Financial Order- self representing

It’s just my personal opinion but I find that solicitors can be an unnecessary cost. Seek legal advice from them, no problem but don’t use them as an administrative function, ie to do your paperwork, the costs can be staggering!!

The form E is a good example, only you know your finances and you are best placed to complete it. I sought legal advice on the strategy I was adopting for financial proceedings but nothing else beyond that.

As for your timeline;
- I’d do the Form E yourself and just propose with your ex or their representative a date to complete financial disclose and swap all documents.
- Review and read their Form E and raise a Questionnaire. Anything you know that’s not been disclosed, raise it here. Question anything around income, money in accounts, pensions, mortgage borrowing capacity too
- Dependable on your approach, why wait to open a financial remedy proceedings case? If you genuinely think you can mutually agree and settle without court involvement then great, any doubts and I’d start formal proceedings. This does not stop you from reaching a settlement outside of court or through mediation
- ES1 and ES2 are the other documents you need for court. As well as mortgage borrowing capacity reports and pension values
- All documents should be shared with both the other party (your ex/ex’s solicitor) and the court
- Agree with Unknown, you don’t need a Barrister for FDA. I’d equally gauge whether you need one for FDR. It’s an opportunity to try and reach settlement but I also knew we were never going to settle so it was pointless investing in a Barrister. I took what I could from the hearing and applied the learns for the final hearing where I used a direct barrister

- If you’re going to invest any money in financial proceedings I’d say spend it on representation than rather solicitors

- Educate yourself as much as possible, learn from experience on this forum, research using Google and know your rights
- Court bundles are a ball ache to produce but I did it myself. Wasn’t prepared to spend thousands on a solicitor to pull a few papers together

It’s just my personal opinion but I find that solicitors can be an unnecessary cost. Seek legal advice from them, no problem but don’t use them as an administrative function, ie to do your paperwork, the costs can be staggering!!

The form E is a good example, only you know your finances and you are best placed to complete it. I sought legal advice on the strategy I was adopting for financial proceedings but nothing else beyond that.

As for your timeline;
- I’d do the Form E yourself and just propose with your ex or their representative a date to complete financial disclose and swap all documents.
- Review and read their Form E and raise a Questionnaire. Anything you know that’s not been disclosed, raise it here. Question anything around income, money in accounts, pensions, mortgage borrowing capacity too
- Dependable on your approach, why wait to open a financial remedy proceedings case? If you genuinely think you can mutually agree and settle without court involvement then great, any doubts and I’d start formal proceedings. This does not stop you from reaching a settlement outside of court or through mediation
- ES1 and ES2 are the other documents you need for court. As well as mortgage borrowing capacity reports and pension values
- All documents should be shared with both the other party (your ex/ex’s solicitor) and the court
- Agree with Unknown, you don’t need a Barrister for FDA. I’d equally gauge whether you need one for FDR. It’s an opportunity to try and reach settlement but I also knew we were never going to settle so it was pointless investing in a Barrister. I took what I could from the hearing and applied the learns for the final hearing where I used a direct barrister

- If you’re going to invest any money in financial proceedings I’d say spend it on representation than rather solicitors

- Educate yourself as much as possible, learn from experience on this forum, research using Google and know your rights
- Court bundles are a ball ache to produce but I did it myself. Wasn’t prepared to spend thousands on a solicitor to pull a few papers together
thanks, I have decided to go with your approach. having a special needs child (needs continuous support all the time-day/night from me), I have long future financial commitments, no point on wasting money on Solicitors. also i need to apply for Child arrangement order.
1) which software you used to create the bundle
2) how do you find out good Direct access barrister, checked some websites, so confusing.

Court is definitely a last resort but I have had to start the ball rolling in my own divorce because my wife just won't engage with mediation. Only a court setting hard deadlines is going to work with her.

Court is definitely a last resort but I have had to start the ball rolling in my own divorce because my wife just won't engage with mediation. Only a court setting hard deadlines is going to work with her.
Thanks, I have same problem. I need to request both finance order and child arrangement.

thanks, I have decided to go with your approach. having a special needs child (needs continuous support all the time-day/night from me), I have long future financial commitments, no point on wasting money on Solicitors. also i need to apply for Child arrangement order.
1) which software you used to create the bundle
2) how do you find out good Direct access barrister, checked some websites, so confusing.
I used Adobe to create the bundle and paid the monthly subscription for 1 month of £9.99 and then cancelled it. I think there are other options but for me Adobe is the most recognised.

There are a number of helpful step by step YouTube videos on how to create/prepare a court bundle, I just followed this.

Whereabouts are you in the country? You first need to find your local chambers, secondly, for direct barristers, you’ll need to check with the chamber as to which barristers have experience in family law and finanical remedy proceedings then the chamber will check whether they are actually available or not.

You might need to ring around to get a few profiles together but each barrister should have a profile or CV to share with you. I might also help the ask for 15/30mims free consultation to as questions and see whether you can see yourself working with them.

I used Adobe to create the bundle and paid the monthly subscription for 1 month of £9.99 and then cancelled it. I think there are other options but for me Adobe is the most recognised.

There are a number of helpful step by step YouTube videos on how to create/prepare a court bundle, I just followed this.

Whereabouts are you in the country? You first need to find your local chambers, secondly, for direct barristers, you’ll need to check with the chamber as to which barristers have experience in family law and finanical remedy proceedings then the chamber will check whether they are actually available or not.

You might need to ring around to get a few profiles together but each barrister should have a profile or CV to share with you. I might also help the ask for 15/30mims free consultation to as questions and see whether you can see yourself working with them.
Thanks, my assigned court is Uxbridge County Court and Family Court

Back