Guest viewing is limited

CAFCASS Section 7 Report

DadLad

Experienced member
Hi all,

I know that there is probably heaps of threads regarding the above but I wanted some advice on my case.

Had my FHDRA a couple weeks back and in the order from this hearing it states that during the preparation of the section 7 report, if Cafcass deem it appropriate to start direct contact they should file an urgent notice to the court.

The next hearing is set for 6 months away.

I have now received an update from Cafcass saying that they can’t allocate an officer yet but they should do no later than 8 weeks before the next hearing.

8 WEEKS!!

I have told them that I have been separated from my child for 2.5 years, with a hearing date set for 6 months away. This is not in the best interests of my child and I wish to get contact started asap.

Firstly, Cafcass put the recommendation for a section 7 report. But they are ridiculously overwhelmed with cases and clearly do not have the resources to accommodate.

Cafcass are 50% of the problem in cases and they are not fit for purpose. They are contributing to the time apart from my child which is causing more damage.

Surely there must be something I can do to speed up the process and get the report started sooner or even get the report scrapped because it is affecting my child with all these delays.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated because I feel like I’ve got somewhere by kicking a wall down now another wall has been put back up again.

I feel so frustrated, annoyed, fed up, deflated etc

Last edited:
How are you for funds? You could ask for an Independent Social Worker to do the Section 7 report (and it;s very likely to be much less biased).

it’s something to consider. Would contacting the court be pointless?

I actually can’t stand Cafcass, horrible spineless people.

You'd need to submit a Part 25 application via a C2 after finding an ISW and attach their CV to the application.

Just been looking into all this with DB2021. If the case is ongoing, you can submit a C2 with a part 25 application to ask for the Judge to approve an ISW. As part of that you need a CV and to include a letter of instruction and list of questions for the ISW. There is a template online from the law society for this. Now if you were at a hearing, you could maybe just raise it at the hearing and ask but I think it would take another hearing then to get the ISW approved after submission of CV etc.

What other options are there, I doubt contacting Cafcass will make anything better. They are not fit for purpose for purpose

I don't know of other options unfortunately. If a Section 7 has been ordered, it will either be Cafcass, Local Authority or ISW who can do it. An ISW report can be very helpful though.

Just been looking into all this with DB2021. If the case is ongoing, you can submit a C2 with a part 25 application to ask for the Judge to approve an ISW. As part of that you need a CV and to include a letter of instruction and list of questions for the ISW. There is a template online from the law society for this. Now if you were at a hearing, you could maybe just raise it at the hearing and ask but I think it would take another hearing then to get the ISW approved after submission of CV etc.
Hmm definitely something to consider looking into further. And I thank you guys for researching this.

I literally don’t have much fight in me anymore with all these setbacks and heartbreaks, it takes me a few days to process and I always come back stronger.

The 1 and only picture I have is what motivates me to keep going.

It's tough. You might find Cafcass Section 7 is ok. But the delay is bad. An ISW should be able to have it done before Christmas. You'd have good reason to ask for one as well now Cafcass have said it won't even start for 8 weeks.

It's tough. You might find Cafcass Section 7 is ok. But the delay is bad. An ISW should be able to have it done before Christmas. You'd have good reason to ask for one as well now Cafcass have said it won't even start for 8 weeks.

Cafcass have said it should be appointed and finished within 8 weeks before the hearing. They aren’t starting it until next year. Absolutely shocking

Ok - it does sound like, if you can afford it, using an ISW for the Section 7 could help as you may get to see your child sooner. If it can start before the next hearing in 6 months. What are the allegations against you?

Ok - it does sound like, if you can afford it, using an ISW for the Section 7 could help as you may get to see your child sooner. If it can start before the next hearing in 6 months. What are the allegations against you?

Safeguarding allegations?

An ISW is around £2-3k to carry out a section 7 report plus additional costs for attending the hearing so I reckon this would be in the region of £4-5k all in.

The author of the report is required to attend the next hearing as stated in the order.

I’ve spoke with Cafcass and they are still giving a date of 8 weeks before the hearing which is 6 months away.

The Cafcass officer was quite sympathetic regarding things but even she said the mother has to agree.

I can spend months shutting down allegations but the mother is still the gatekeeper and I find it absolutely disgusting how they can control everything. What about the damaging effects it has on a child growing up with no Father? The mother clearly does not support, encourage or promote any relationship between me and our child and they can just write it off with ‘the child has no bond with the Father’

Back