Guest viewing is limited

next step

NewcastleBrownAle

Experienced member
well, I emailed the C100 to the court last week, they called me for payment, today I received a big bundle, which mentions that they have a gatekeeping hearing, I take it that's CAFCASS and the judge to discuss safeguarding, it also says something about alcohol testing, I hear they ask for test before the FHDRA now, has that happened to anyone ? I would need another cm or so of hair to grow.

That's very quick and it's surprising that a gatekeeping hearing has been arranged without you having had the Cafcass call and letter first. Or have you had the Cafcass call and letter? At the end of the letter it's usually what Cafcass recommends to the court, but a Judge doesn't necessarily do that. So yes a gatekeeping hearing is Cafcass and a Judge deciding what next and after that you'll get court papers informing you if it's going to a first hearing (usual). At a first hearing it can sometimes be determined whether there should be a fact find.

That's very quick and it's surprising that a gatekeeping hearing has been arranged without you having had the Cafcass call and letter first. Or have you had the Cafcass call and letter? At the end of the letter it's usually what Cafcass recommends to the court, but a Judge doesn't necessarily do that. So yes a gatekeeping hearing is Cafcass and a Judge deciding what next and after that you'll get court papers informing you if it's going to a first hearing (usual). At a first hearing it can sometimes be determined whether there should be a fact find.
The letter states , court orders
Safeguarding. CAFCASS must send a safeguarding letter the court and to the parties by 6th march. The application is listed for a second gatekeeping appointment for 11th march, Neither party attends this appointment. After reviewing the report , further directions will be made and approximately 6 weeks time after the gatekeepers have carried out this appointment, the parties will be and an order with tithe court's further directions.

So I'm guessing, the safeguarding letter is the schedule 2 report and that report will be based on the initial calls from CAFCASS to both parties ?

Okay, so that sounds like the standard procedure, at what point is the test mentioned?

Reactions: Ash
So I'm guessing, the safeguarding letter is the schedule 2 report and that report will be based on the initial calls from CAFCASS to both parties ?
Yes. It's fairly standard for a gatekeeping hearing to happen these days. So next thing is your cafcass interview and letter. Don't say anything negative about the ex and keep it child focused. They send an email via Egress and ask you to confirm your identity then you'll either get another email or a letter through the post, with the date of the phone interview. Don't miss it.

do CAFCASS email you or write to you , so that you know when they will call you. Rather than call you out of the blue ?
You will both get an email from Cafcass which asks you to register and install a Secure Email app called Egress which is basically encrypted email.

Their emails then will only open in that app and can be responded from there.

First email is a confirmation of your contact details.

After that is up to your case worker how they confirm your appointment, mine tried to do it adhoc suddenly and I politely stated I was busy but can arrange a mutually agreeable time, she did not let me push it out more than few days from her initial call though.

A good mantra is "I just want my son to have happy loving homes and relationships with both parents".

I'm dreading CAFCASS, they pretty much sound like kangaroo court, where you are guilty whatever you say or do and if they don't like what you say, they will just change it to suit their report.

It's a bit of a roulette wheel with case workers but there is a formulaic approach as Ash mentioned.

They'll likely talk to EX first then address you with the allegations, you just can't deny them with a ' that is not true' or 'I refute that allegation' end up being reported as Mum made allegations, father refuted them.

have to say though, my case seems to be progressing with lightning pace, not sure that is good or bad......
There has been a recent push to clear cases across specific regions.

I'm at FH stage soon and it's taken less than 9m yet I waited almost 6m to my FHDRA and 3m of that was just doing the GK.

Its also very case dependent downstream of the GK how many stops you'll have along the way to FH

It's a bit of a roulette wheel with case workers but there is a formulaic approach as Ash mentioned.

They'll likely talk to EX first then address you with the allegations, you just can't deny them with a ' that is not true' or 'I refute that allegation' end up being reported as Mum made allegations, father refuted them.
ok, so how do you address the allegations? I've been wondering this for a while. I can't attack her as I don't want to get labelled as conflicting, but I can't just let the allegations wash over me, so my though was too just politely state that the allegation was untrue and I'm disappointed my ex feels the need to make them.

ok, so how do you address the allegations? I've been wondering this for a while. I can't attack her as I don't want to get labelled as conflicting, but I can't just let the allegations wash over me, so my though was too just politely state that the allegation was untrue and I'm disappointed my ex feels the need to make them.
sorry that should have read ... you can just sent them with a...

Think I need another A4 sheet, to re- write. Ex is claiming I'm an alcoholic, but I don't drink, but I thought I would have a few cans before the CAFCASS call to relax me ........ (just kidding,,,, seriously).

I had a lot of stuff written out - thinking things through, reminders etc. I then had another A4 sheet with about 8 bullet points on - memory joggers for the stuff I'd written out - to prepare for every eventuality. We had a rehearsal. My partner fired awkward questions at me and we rehearsed responses.

The main thing is - don't react. People who aren't prepared can sometimes react. Eg Cafcass officer is chatting away and it's going well and they suddenly say - Mrs Ex says you're controlling what do you say to that. Boom. It catches you unawares.

Don't say - Controlling! How dare she - she's the controlling one - she does xyz, she's lying and blaming me for her own behaviour

Do say - (pause to breathe and catch your thoughts) - That's unfortunate, I'm not sure why she would say that, as it's untrue, but I do think she is very angry with me for making this application.

You will hear the most ridiculous and outrageous allegations that will both make you annoyed and upset. BUT remember this is coming from a disgruntled ex.. You do not want to spend the next 6-9 months wasting energy on counter-allegations or trying to get one over on the ex.

During the process, if Cafcass do raise any allegations from your ex just simply say; I don't know why my ex is making these allegations, I think that she is operating from a place of anger which is understandable, but I do have evidence which proves that these are untrue.

Let the evidence do the talking and put your energy into showing Cafcass that you are completely child focused and a brilliant Dad 😀

Last edited:
Back