Guest viewing is limited

Help - son's fiancee taken child

Pop

Please help me. My son arrived home from work and his fiance had left with their five month old baby with a note that she will contact him in two weeks. He doesn’t know where they are but her mum knows. What can we do.

Hello. Sorry to hear this - it must be a very anxious time. And it sounds quite strange to leave - but then say she will be in contact in two weeks with no further explanation. Do you think the fiancee was stable at the time? Not depressed or anything. If her Mum knows where she is then it sounds like she and child are fairly safe and maybe the Mum is the person to deal with. However I think in your position I may be inclined to call the Police and ask them to do a welfare check. The fiancee's Mum may give more information to the Police. They may just come back and say - no concerns, she is safe and well - take it up with the courts.

So if you think this is permanent, then I suggest your son puts an application into court as well - for an order - to ensure he doesn't lose contact with his child. Before that he needs to have had a MIAM (first mediation appointment).

So 1) Perhaps call the Police and express concern as to the whereabouts of the baby
2) Google mediators in your area, ring around them and book a mediation appointment asap - for your son only. Then he tells them he wants signing off to apply to court and doesn't know where the Mother is.
3) Start filling out a C100 form.

If it turns out to be a blip and they've just had a tiff and got back together, then the application could always be withdrawn, but I wouldn't delay because it could be weeks before a hearing and that means weeks without seeing his child possibly.

C100

Just to add. If he doesn't have her address (needed on the C100 form) then either try to get an address (from her Mother or the Police). If neither will give an address then you have two options. The first costs money (not too much) and gives you an address quickly. The second is another form to send to court with the C100 and the court then traces her and sends her the application (that can be slow).

The first option is to use a tracing agent. I've done it before and it's very good. If they don't find anything, they don't charge you. But they usually do because they have access to all records (DSS, benefits, rentals, etc). It can also be reassuring (and helpful) to know where they are - and you may find out something you didn't know as well (eg if she has moved in with a new partner or something).

I've used the one linked below. The standard fee is about £35. For a 24 hour response it's about £75. And I think it's worth the £75 for quick info! And as I said - if they can't find anything they don't charge you.

However if you do get an address it would be best not to turn up there or try and send anything there or your son could end up being accused of harrassment. Just use the information for the court form.

Click on "Locate a person" in the left blue section. Give as much info about the fiancee as you can (eg any previous names or previous addresses).

Tracing Agent

Thank you for all the advice. Is it a crime for a mother to take their baby and not tell the father where there are.
His name is on the birth certificate.

I have stumbled across this one before, if the mother feels that they are in danger, then they do not need to disclose the address.

Also I don't think it would be considered a crime, even if the Mother didn't feel in danger - but more a matter for concern. The family courts don't deal with crime, they only look at what is in the best interests of the child. Under the law, it's considered that the best interests of the child are to have regular and significant time with both parents, when there are no welfare issues (eg drug taking, alcohol problems etc).

If the Mother is going to cut all contact, then the court is only likely to order a few hours a week of time with the Dad - unless the Mother agrees to more than that. So there's an incentive to sort things out if they possibly can. It sounds to me like her Mother could be helpful there.

i wonder if anyone can help regarding C and F assessment and safe guarding checks. I gave doctors consent on time to social workers and they said it wasn’t done and now they have closed the case and therefore the checks have not been done only the police checks. I have a court hearing next month And they say no contact and the case has now been closed as the are no medical record. I cant get hold of cafcass or social workers and they refuse to open the case. Please help.

Hi. Not sure what C and F assessment is? Is the court hearing for Child Arrangements? Who has said no contact - social services? Could you give us a bit more detail/info and see where things are at.

Back