Guest viewing is limited

Estimated expenses !

Merlin836

Experienced member
I know this may be a tricky one to ask but here goes .
I'm trying to work out a budget of sorts as I think it could potentially go to final hearing possibly .
I know prices will vary depending on situation .
I was thinking along the lines of hiring a direct barrister for FHDRA and if needed for other hearings , what sort of money did people spend , is it actually possible to estimate .
Don't get me wrong I'll spend every penny of I have to but I've also got to think how much it will cost so I can try and work out how much I may need .
My ex has already stated she ignored the Miam request as she's not bothered and did not even open the letter .
She has an habit of doing this so I think she will definitely ignore absolutely every letter and phone call which makes me think it's going further than FHDRA (not sure how they can proceed though if she just ignores everything but that's another issue ) .
Sadly after a bit of hopeful news last week it's all gone downhill again .

My solicitor quoted Estimated 15-20K if it went to final hearing. Depends how many days for final hearing and if it’s a complicated case

My solicitor quoted Estimated 15-20K if it went to final hearing. Depends how many days for final hearing and if it’s a complicated case

Wow that's a huge expense . I don't think I could afford that , as you say if it's a complicated case I was accused of domestic abuse but I have texts off her just a few days ago saying she never said any of that and I've never done it either ( I was specifically told she and her family had by a children's service ) .
But now she's said just go to court because she knows I won't be allowed to have my daughter stay with me overnight as she's less than a year old .
She says I should be part of my daughter's life but at the same time still won't let me see her and she's not going to bother with court .
I genuinely baffled with her response and it will gut me if I cannot have my daughter overnight as I used to most weeks plus regardless of the court order she doesn't care , I know the enforcement orders are useless .
This is where I'm struggling to work out what to try and get together or save money by doing things less expensively although I'm not confident of representing myself and don't want to chance it .

Ill second the above but this is not with a DAB so if you do use a DAB you can expect the Barrister fees to be half that via the Solicitor I think.
It's best to ask the Solicitor to provide a breakout of the Barrister fees seperately so you can see what you can save.

Wow that's a huge expense . I don't think I could afford that , as you say if it's a complicated case I was accused of domestic abuse but I have texts off her just a few days ago saying she never said any of that and I've never done it either ( I was specifically told she and her family had by a children's service ) .
But now she's said just go to court because she knows I won't be allowed to have my daughter stay with me overnight as she's less than a year old .
She says I should be part of my daughter's life but at the same time still won't let me see her and she's not going to bother with court .
I genuinely baffled with her response and it will gut me if I cannot have my daughter overnight as I used to most weeks plus regardless of the court order she doesn't care , I know the enforcement orders are useless .
This is where I'm struggling to work out what to try and get together or save money by doing things less expensively although I'm not confident of representing myself and don't want to chance it .

If you dont have a Finances case to fight as well - that can cost 5-10k more, and you feel you can manage the DAB and avoid using a Solicitor then this will save you a significant amount of money - @Ash can provide more details I hope.

Ill second the above but this is not with a DAB so if you do use a DAB you can expect the Barrister fees to be half that via the Solicitor I think.
It's best to ask the Solicitor to provide a breakout of the Barrister fees seperately so you can see what you can save.

I was looking at using a DAB for that reason .
I know a lot of the paperwork would have to be completed by myself which I'm hoping I can pull off .
Maybe a rough estimate using a DAB would be 12'000 or so ?

I was accused of domestic abuse. Represented myself and lost. So I really would advise a Barrister if you can afford it. It sounds like your ex is all over the shop with her accusations and rationale. But would advise getting a barrister to highlight this as otherwise you can just look like a bully in court and caffcass can just side with the mum. Calm head needed and possibly a bank loan.

If you dont have a Finances case to fight as well - that can cost 5-10k more, and you feel you can manage the DAB and avoid using a Solicitor then this will save you a significant amount of money - @Ash can provide more details I hope.

There's no finance case thankfully . I read some of the threads where Ash did point out about using a DAB too which is what got me thinking along those lines .
Its so unpredictable as when the FHDRA appointment date is given I want to start preparing
I want to do a position statement pretty much right now so it's ready and then appoint a barrister , the tricky thing is though do I appoint one for a FHDRA or risk going unrepresented as I think my ex is not even going to bother turning up as she pretty much said she won't bother with any of the court proceedings , it's too much hassle for her ! She said this is in person as I saw her recently .
I don't want to be left scrambling for funds if it goes all the way but then I wonder what can they actually do if my ex simply refuses to let me near my daughter anyway .
Her behavior is so strange , it's like she thinks nobody can do anything , the courts the police nobody .

Are you getting any contact when did you last see daughter ?

Id not seen her since May , she's been witheld from me . With no correspondence since mid June .
Last week she got in touch which absolutely shocked me . She sent photos and even went to my house to put some fathers day gifts in bin .
I was out , she knew id gone out but I could've been home when she called as I was on my way home.
We chatted about what's gone on and some surprising info came up and we even arranged a video call with my daughter for a good 20mins and then by chance I saw her with my daughter and day after as I was out riding my bike and she went to where I rode it .
She felt awkward but I saw my daughter for the first time since May and my ex was even encouraging saying "there's your daddy" and even gave her back to me when my daughter cried for a moment as I handed her back .
For some reason though when I asked the next day if I could have a video chat , she read message but blanked it .
The day after same again and the day after .
We brought up some issues and I genuinely don't know why she's doing this to me now .
I had hope for a moment that we could resolve things but it's tearing me apart again , letting me chat to my daughter on video then nothing . It's cruel .
She said she's not bothered about court as she doesn't care , she will ignore court of that there's no doubt .
I spoke to a barrister and explained it and he said there's penal punishments such as community service , fines etc but I've read enough to know they're rarely administered and if I know this then she will too so I think she will never turn up to court

Are you in Greater Manchester? I used a decent barrister in GM who does direct access and she won't cost the earth. I used her via my solicitor but she definitely does direct access. I had DA allegations amongst other stuff and she got me a good result with a progressing order. PM me if you want details.

It sounds as if she’s emotionally unstable and doesn’t know what she wants with regard to your input with child. It’s not fair on you or the child and without court I’m guessing she will keep flip flopping and you will never get regular time. Be careful with correspondence with her as she could use anything against you down the line.

She can only ignore court for so long. I’m not sure but if she doesn’t show to the first hearing maybe a barrister could push for some interim contact, you could check that out with a free 30 solicitor call.

It sounds as if she’s emotionally unstable and doesn’t know what she wants with regard to your input with child. It’s not fair on you or the child and without court I’m guessing she will keep flip flopping and you will never get regular time. Be careful with correspondence with her as she could use anything against you down the line.

She can only ignore court for so long. I’m not sure but if she doesn’t show to the first hearing maybe a barrister could push for some interim contact, you could check that out with a free 30 solicitor call.

Yeah I'm thinking that too. She's living in her own world but she said some strange stuff such as a children's service told her if she sees me they will get social services involved !
I have no idea why they would say this as I've never abused her in any way not even so much as sent a threatening text message in our long relationship , I've never controlled her , controlled her money , I'm not danger to our daughter , there's no welfare issues , I don't have a criminal record , I genuinely don't get why they would say that to her .
I'm baffled by it all .

I think advice is a Barrister at FHDRA cam be very helpful so I'd budget for it if you can.

Are you in Greater Manchester? I used a decent barrister in GM who does direct access and she won't cost the earth. I used her via my solicitor but she definitely does direct access. I had DA allegations amongst other stuff and she got me a good result with a progressing order. PM me if you want details.
@18city i presume that no solicitor would let you work with them and appoint your own DAB ?

You could expect to spend £4000 for a full day final hearing for a good Direct access barrister. Plus vat. For a half day hearing (eg FHDRA) it would be haif that. It’s usually a fixed fee so you know what to expect.

It’s great if you can have one for first hearing as well - depending on the circumstances and depending what the Cafcass report says. If there are no allegations and Cafcass says no welfare issues you could go on your own to the first hearing. If your ex makes allegations and has a legal aid solicitor it would be good to be represented.

There are cheaper barristers but anyone charging £1000 for a full day hearing won’t be very good. Depending what part of the country you’re in you might get a good one for 3k.

You could expect to spend £4000 for a full day final hearing for a good Direct access barrister. Plus vat. For a half day hearing (eg FHDRA) it would be haif that. It’s usually a fixed fee so you know what to expect.

It’s great if you can have one for first hearing as well - depending on the circumstances and depending what the Cafcass report says. If there are no allegations and Cafcass says no welfare issues you could go on your own to the first hearing. If your ex makes allegations and has a legal aid solicitor it would be good to be represented.

There are cheaper barristers but anyone charging £1000 for a full day hearing won’t be very good. Depending what part of the country you’re in you might get a good one for 3k.

Cheers Ash , this gives me some ideas of what to budget for .
Although it's highly unlikely now I did for a brief moment think we could possibly finalize a order at the FHDRA of that's possible if my ex agreed because she may just want it all over and done with and did actually say she thinks I should be in my daughter's life but she thinks my daughter will be scared to be away from her mum , she wasnt when I had her stay just three months ago but sadly it's been three months until my daughter saw me again so who knows .
I'll hire a DAB for the first hearing regardless of whether my ex turns up or not I think .
I'm hoping the cafcass report might be ok although they may ask about allegations which I've said I've denied and even said mum is a good mum she may have just lost her way a touch but it may now be my ex does not even make any allegations (possibly because she realized she's nothing at all evidence ) so I am concerned it might look like I was stirring up trouble based on what the children's service told me although my ex denies mentioning anything at all to them but the service did and it was very specific .
. it is what it is now

Wait and see what the Cafcass report says. But it could be good to have one anyway to make sure things go smoothly.

Yeah I'm thinking that too. She's living in her own world but she said some strange stuff such as a children's service told her if she sees me they will get social services involved !
I have no idea why they would say this as I've never abused her in any way not even so much as sent a threatening text message in our long relationship , I've never controlled her , controlled her money , I'm not danger to our daughter , there's no welfare issues , I don't have a criminal record , I genuinely don't get why they would say that to her .
I'm baffled by it all .

I caution against underestimating your ex. She might seem all over the place. But, be ready for her to have a plan. The hot and cold approach to you being with the child suggests to me that she is setting her cards up.

It is possible to represent yourself and beat allegations. As somebody who has done it, I would not recommend.

If you suspect there will be allegations, you should allow for that in your budget.

I am not an authority, but I would allow this:

£1200, FHDRA, 1hr

£1800, Interim Hearing, 3hrs

£3000, Fact Finding, 1 Day

£3000, Final Hearing, 1 Day

Above are minimums price wise. In a complex case the FF & final hearings could be several days. You might get through with just FHDRA and Final. It could be, FHDRA, Interim, Reports, DRA, Final. Mine very nearly went that way. I would try my best to have a barrister at every hearing. It means you get an order that reflects what was said. Slips/dirty play after the hearing can be instrumental. Even for a simple hearing, the strategy is very difficult for an LIP to get their head around. Also, if you are represented from the start. You have continuity. The barrister would be picking up from where they left off.

Hopefully you won’t need a fact find however - even if she does make allegations. And that can be one reason to have a barrister at FHDRA - to persuade the Judge that a fact fine isn’t necessary and make sure things go smoothly. And also to try and broker agreement at the first hearing. And try some leverage to achieve it.

Last edited:
Back