Guest viewing is limited

Advice/help needed

cw243

This might be a long one.
My ex partner and i have a 5 year old son together who is the sweetest, kindest person ive ever known. He never gets into trouble or anything with me.
I have moved in with my current partner of coming up to 3 years and we have had a baby together. She also has a 5 year old son but he is auic. He is high functioning so he can communicate fairly well.
My son comes to stay the weekend every weekend and also every wednesday evening so there is a lot of contact to which i have never missed a single day.
When my boy is over the boys play well together. My psrtners boy struggles with his strength and can sometimes be a little rough but my boy does not get badly hurt ever and we are constantly monitoring and managing their play. They are both always laughing snd hugging and we do not see any issues with their friendship. They seem to be best friends and both get excited to see each other. My son has not grown up with any other young siblings and i was naturally anxious about my psrtners boys autism; whether thry would get hurt etc. I told my son to tell me if gets hurt. Every time now he tells me. This is during the smallest of things though and multiple times a day. Things that would be considered normal play. A car bumped his foot, his finger hurt a little bit when my partners boy grabbed it etc. Things you would exprct from playing with everyone.
One evening there was an incident where my partners boys had had a bad day with his dad and his senses were all off so it was having a difficult time. The boys went upstairs and after about 2 minutes i heard screaming. My partners boy was trying to put my son in "jail" but was being too rough and hurting my boys hand. I quickly interveined. No one was injurred.
This sparked some issues with my ex. My boy has been telling his mum about every single time he has been hurt.

Another incident occured where i caught the boys with theor penises out. More concerning but by every person i have spoken to... absolutely normal curious behaviour between boys of that age. This was promptly stopped and parented.

This however reached his mum. His mum told me that my partners boy touched his penis and bum. I had spoken to thr boys individually and my boy told me multiple times that he wasnt touched. After more digging it was revealed that he did. Me and my partner have done more digging to find out where this behaviour came from and found that it had a name. "The rude game". We are confident that there have been no outside sinister influence as my partners boy said he just made it up. We have spoken to schools, friends and my partners boys dad. All of which have no concerns.

The other day i received a call from social services. My ex partner has called a health advisor following my boy telling her about the incident.
Despite SS being told by my ex that she has no concerns about me and that i am a great dad, the worker was not the nicest or easiest person to deal with. This was classed as sexual assault. The boys are no longer allowed to sleep in bunk beds and one of us has to be with them 24/7. As you can imagine this is almost impossible with a 5 month year old baby on top of keeping the house a safe/clean environment.
We bought a camera monitor for the boys room for when they are playing and one of s with cooking and the other with the baby etc

This was deemed good enough for social services.

Throughout the day when the boys were together i had reported ea h incident of when my boy said he was hurt through a co parenting app in case he told his mum and she worried.
He then told her about a moment where my partners boy brushed past him at the top of the stairs. He told his mum however that he pushed him and nearly fell down the stairs. Not the words he used with me. My partners boy wouldnt maliciously do that. Needless to day this was managed too.
However this to my ex was a scene of violence and lack of monitoring as i allowed it to happen and didnt report it to her.

MY ex and i have a very bad past with a very emotional abusive relationship where i almost ended my life when my boy was 1. Apparently though im the abuser. Our past doesnt matter but it provides evidence thst conclusions and judgments are jumped to whenever i am involved (she despises me). All of my friends and family think shes troubled.

As you can imagine things got out of hand.. apparently i was not following SS orders, my partners boy is dangerous and violent, i dont care about my boys happiness or well being and we are not doing enough.

My boy is the absolute light of my life and i literally dug myself out of a life of poverty and drugs when i found out i was going to be a dad!
I personally think that he is being quizzed/interrogated every time he goes home and is being asked very specific questions and hes giving answers that his mum wants.
He tells me he is happy snd enjoys being here and from what i see when the boys are playing together this is evident. He apparently says otherwise to his mum.

I am absolutely terrified of losing him and i am at a complete loss of what to do. Either my son is lying to me as not to upset me and he in fact is unhappy, he is giving his mum answers she wants (i.e youre not happy at daddys are you?) Or his mum is literally blowing everything massively out of proportion.
I suspect a mixture of the latter two.

SS are completely one sided. Thry cant assess a situation with one phone call. I am afrsid that nothing i have told them has been logged and nor has anything regarding my partners boy has been logged.

I Want someone to come and see for themselves how the boys are together to prove that we are good paents, my boy isnt getting hurt and that this is a safe place. Is this something i can request either from SS or any third party?
What can i do?
What are my rights? How do i get to the bottom of whether my boys is actually happy here or not?

It would absolutely end me if i lost him.

Hi. Sorry I've only just seen your post. My question is - what has happened to make you think you'll lose him? Have social services suggested that? I can see your ex's point of view as well - she's not there, so worries about these incidents. Kids do sometimes say different things to each parent, to please them. but as you say it could have been questioning as well.

Practical things - could you get a stairgate so no one falls/gets pushed down the stairs? Also maybe they could have separate bedrooms?

Thanks for the responses.
Nothing serious has happened that i would think would warrant me losing my boy but i dont know what is being said. I have no experience with social services at all and i am in a panic. My ex has said "if hes hurt one more time thatll be the last time he goes over". Now as my boy tells us of every single little bump, that is terrifying.
There is currently a stairgate but its not currently directly above the stairs. Its in such a position so that it prevents my partners boy from going downstairs ifnhe wakes up in the night. I see if i could move it to another position.
IM currrntly going to be sleeping on the floor in the boys room when my boy is over and my partners boy will be sleeping in the bed with mum and baby brother. We currently only have a 2 bedroom house and searching for a 3 or 4 bed. Ive spoken with my boys schools family support officer who has been very kind and offered to translate the social service jargon and help me throughout this as well as have some one on one time with my son to see how he is really feeling about anything.
i would ideally like someone to do a home visit to assess how the boys play etc. I dont think the situatiin can be judged on a single phone call.

So you've been threatened. That she is going to stop your boy coming if he gets hurt again. Ok so you need to start keeping a diary and recording things. Record what your son tells you, record any minor incidents like play fighting. Record the sleeping arrangements. Diaries are classed as evidence. You can either do it in a notebook or just email diary notes to yourself - but keep them brief and to the point in case you want to show them to someone at some time. Eg X date - x told me y pulled his hair but it didn't really hurt. Partner and I had a chat with y and explained that it can hurt if you pull someone's hair.

To be honest it sounds a really tricky situation and I would be concerned as well. While it's understandable that autism is a condition, if there are any risks you need something in place to avoid risks.

Last edited:
Ive spoken with my boys schools family support officer who has been very kind and offered to translate the social service jargon and help me throughout this as well as have some one on one time with my son to see how he is really feeling about anything.
This is good. Keep them on side.

So you've been threatened. That she is going to stop your boy coming if he gets hurt again. Ok so you need to start keeping a diary and recording things. Record what your son tells you, record any minor incidents like play fighting. Record the sleeping arrangements. Diaries are classed as evidence. You can either do it in a notebook or just email diary notes to yourself - but keep them brief and to the point in case you want to show them to someone at some time. Eg X date - x told me y pulled his hair but it didn't really hurt. Partner and I had a chat with y and explained that it can hurt if you pull someone's hair.

To be honest it sounds a really tricky situation and I would be concerned as well. While it's understandable that autism is a condition, if there are any risks you need something in place to avoid risks.
Thank you so much. Thats an excellent idea.

While he has autism he is high functioning so hes verbal amd everything. Hebstruggles with his coordination and use of strength which we are trying to manage. I believe that as the word "autism" is associated with him my ex and other people think of him as a violent naughty risk which simply is not the case at all. I was thinking of taking some videos of them playing together too to provide evidence of how they actuallynget along.
When my boy has to go home, my partners boy gets mega upset because he likes him so much.

All of the communications between my ex and myself regarding our boy and "issues" is being kept and archived too.

I will definitly keep a diary of accidents and resolutions though. Thank you.

If you decide to do the email diary notes - I used to just do an email to myself then have a folder I file them all in so they're all together. It does mean you end up with a copy of the email in your sent folder as well which doesn't matter really. Yes take videos.

Re the stairgate - if it's used somewhere else, maybe get a second one? I left mine up for quite a long time.

This is good. Keep them on side.
Yea, im on good terms with the school. Im sure that they deal with some fathers that couldnt care less and evidently see that im actually invested in my sons care, educatiin and welfare. Never missed a parents evening, keep on top of homework as much as we can and never missed a sports day or school play.

They have said that they havent heard any bad words against me or my relationship with my son from anyone so i guess thats something.

If you decide to do the email diary notes - I used to just do an email to myself then have a folder I file them all in so they're all together. It does mean you end up with a copy of the email in your sent folder as well which doesn't matter really. Yes take videos.

Re the stairgate - if it's used somewhere else, maybe get a second one? I left mine up for quite a long time.
The stairgate is literally at a 90 degree angle from the stairs just before the stairs at the top. Will be no issue placing it at the top of the actual stairs

Im finding SS not very forthcoming with what their process is. Ive asked for what i can expect to happen i.e. visits or communications from them but got nothing.
What are peoples experiences? Would they intend to visit in a case like this? If they did i know it would be a benefit to us all to put to bed any worry of risks

So if your ex complains again that your son could have fallen down the stairs or been pushed you can just say - no worries - there is a stairgage, that won't happen.

Im finding SS not very forthcoming with what their process is. Ive asked for what i can expect to happen i.e. visits or communications from them but got nothing.
What are peoples experiences? Would they intend to visit in a case like this? If they did i know it would be a benefit to us all to put to bed any worry of risks
So is the case not closed then? What is the situation? I thought they had been involved before and nothing more.

By the way do you have any court orders in place or is this all just informal agreement?

No they're not very forthcoming. They will contact you if they want to know anything or if they want to visit. They've probably just closed the case - they are inundated and I doubt this is seen as a serious risk compared to some cases.

The case is open. They had one phone call with me. There are no court orders or anything. They said police may be involved but just as a formality they think.
Ive got minimal information from them and just want to get it all over and done with/be as prepared as i can be

Ok so presumably they just asked you questions during the phone call. I know it's worrying but just wait to see what happens next. Probably nothing. Sometimes social services tells the parent who contacted them, to get the police to do a welfare check, because social services are too busy. The police just come and look to see everything is ok and you can chat with them. If the police welfare check says all is fine then social services close the case. If your ex doesn't bother to ask the police to do a welfare check then nothing will happen.

you can ask for a home visit by a physiotherapist or occupational therapist to help you identify risks and lower them, this would be a simple request to the GP. This would show that you are concerned for injuries and have asked for help. The home visit is routine stuff for these staff and is free.

Thanks for the help and advice guys. I feel a bit less bleak about the whole situation now

Try to remember that SS aren't a court or judge.
They can make suggestions but can't order anything.
Also if they don't make a house visit or see you with your son they haven't made a fair and just assessment.
This means if they do write a report try not to get too stressed by it because it would be based on allegations and not facts.
My partner has had dreadful phone SS assessments which cafcass have contradicted further down the road.
Not suggesting your situation will go down the cafcass route though. Just for an example of SS not always be right.

Back