Guest viewing is limited

Actions to be taken after mother defies court order

BigLes

Hi all, I’m sure this has been touched on elsewhere more than once (sadly) but I just wanted to ask the question in a manner that is specific to my predicament.

An interim CAO is in place that states that I have an overnight with our child every other Saturday (collection at 9am from her place, return at 5pm on Sunday). Plus a full day on alternate Sundays.

My child’s mother sent a text the night before I was due to collect our child (for his second overnight). The text demanded that I send detailed photos of my bed and bedroom, and my child’s bed and bedroom (including the location of the electric heater, safety rails on bed etc). The text said that if I didn’t send the photos then I wouldn’t be able to collect our child. The text alleged aggressive behaviour in front of our child at her doorstep last time (I replied that no such behaviour had occurred, that the conversation was carried out via her intercom, and that her recording intercom doorbell would back-up my position). I replied that I was not at home and was out-of-town, and that I was going direct to hers on the Saturday morning hence it would be impractical to drive back to my home to take photos. I replied that if she wasn’t going to have him ready for collection, to let me know in advance in order to save me a wasted 2.5 hr journey to her home.

I arrive at her doorstep on Saturday morning. She asks for photos. I reply that I have no photos. She refuses to come to the door. I send a message and email saying “it’s very disappointing, particularly as [child’s] gran and cousins drove a 4 hour journey to see him for his birthday that day. It’s not in his best interests. It’s also not fair to let me drive to your home for no reason.” She asks me to return home take photos and come back (2.5 hour round trip). She says that she told me that she wouldn’t open the door if I didn’t present photos (turns out she had sent me an iMessage in the middle of the night rather than a SMS, my phone can’t receive them. I actually asked a day earlier that she use a parenting app - as recommended by the court last year - instead of messages). I drive back home and take all the photos she needs and send them. But she then goes radio silence after I send them so basically I didn’t see him at all that day.
I had previously sent loads of photos of my room, his cot, his clothes, of bed guards that go on my bed, of him sleeping on the first night. This latest request was for additional photos. None of these photos were required by the court order obviously.

So my first question is what do I do? Tell my solicitor and then they send an email to her solicitor? This would cost me obvs but if it’s the correct procedure then I’ll do it. The court order also states that I must inform the court if the other party does not comply with any order or direction contained within it. Presumably the court has to be notified then? Is that all I do? Do I need to do the same thing again if she refuses to follow the order again?
Next question is how do I raise it in the forthcoming final hearing statement? (“Updating statement of no more than 5 pages”). I’ve received mixed advice. Depressingly I’ve actually been told by one source that this behaviour is an example of how we cannot co-parent and therefore it would actually work against me (and conversely would work in her favour). I’m seeking a lives with / lives with order (progressively increasing overnights culminating in a 50/50 arrangement). So I perhaps touch on it briefly, include the solicitor’s letter as an exhibit, but finish with “…however since then there have been no more incidents and Miss X has shown an encouraging willingness to co-parent”.

I’m actually really struggling to fit all my child’s mother’s antics into the updating statement. There’s a 5 page limit but most of that is my proposed schedule (it’s very detailed and gradually progressive and includes future school arrangements) plus the title page and signature page. If I don’t include a detailed account of this latest incident (inc. text messages as exhibits) then I’m certain my child’s mother will include it but spin it somehow into me being the bad guy.

That’s an incredibly long message and I apologise!

P.S. I’m aware that I have to basically put up with her unreasonable demands for the good of our child. I’m aware that I should be giving the court the impression that we, as co-parents, can really make shared care work (it’s hard to make this argument when she is so difficult though!)

When is your final hearing? If it's not too far away it may be worth putting all this in your final statement rather than seeking further action beforehand. Although if it's a long time away I guess your solicitor can advice the best course of action.
So sorry you're being put through this. There's just no need.

Yes normally, if you both have solicitors, yours would write a firm letter to hers saying she must comply with the order and there is no requirement to provide photographs, and to make the child available. Hopefully that will work for next week.

Don't worry about someone saying it means you can't co parent - you can turn that argument around - and when showing evidence of your ex being difficult to communicate with/arrange things with - you can argue that this is a good reason why the order needs to be defined with clear dates and times and holiday dates defined, so there is less need for communication, other than in an emergency.

Is this 5 page statement your final statement? With evidence? If you're getting bogged down - do you want me to have a read through? Another eye on it can help. Although if you're using a solicitor, they should help construct the statement (some do this very well, some don't). I'm guessing you're not using a solicitor throughout but were just thinking of it for a one off letter.

So the other alternative, rather than send a solicitor letter, is just email the court informing them that the interim order isn't being complied with - that your ex insisted on seeing photos of child's room before she would let child come.

The downside to that is the court might just say - why didn't you just show her some photos? Obviously you shouldn't have to but they might expect you to have tried to sort it out. If you did show her some photos and the child comes then you can just say in your statement, that the Mother refused to follow the order unless I provided photos, for the second time, of child's room and set up, when there are no welfare issues. Just to show how awkward she is. But if you took photos and she then found fault with something and said - not letting him come, that isn't suitable - then you have even more to put in your statement about excuses preventing child from coming.

Personally what I would do is

a) Get the solicitor letter sent tomorrow saying she must comply with the order, there is no requirement for you to provide photos (and you have already done that previously) and ask for confirmation that child will be available to collect on Saturday.
b) Assuming they reply saying no she won't agree unless she has photos, then just take some photos and send them to her with a polite note saying - I hope this reassures you that our son has a suitable bedroom set up.

Unbelievable!

From experience, I'm guessing your interim order says something along the lines of; "the mother must ensure that the child/ren spend time with their father as follows; every (date/time)." No mention of you having to submit a photographic account of your sleeping arrangements and compliance with health & safety regulations?

No? What a surprise.

If the next hearing is some time away and if this behaviour continues you stand to lose valuable mid hearing time with your child, I would be filling in a court form C2, to make an application in existing court proceedings. You'll get a date for an Enforcement Hearing within a fortnight.

If you've been exchanging emails with your courts administrative team and they're relatively responsive you could try emailing the court with your case reference number to inform them that the interim order of (date) is not being complied with because the mother is insisting on photographic evidence of sleeping arrangements, which is not a part of the order, and can the court offer any advice. It's not their place to, but I did this and the clerks ran it passed my judge, he listened to the recording of the hearing and sent a message back; "this is what I ordered and it must be complied with, please advise Mr. Kyle that he may want to consider enforcement."

Personally, I don't think this is reasonable behaviour at all from the mother. It just smacks of a delay/deny tactics. My ex did this to me by contesting the courts decision to grant me supported contact centre time instead of supervised, as ordered in my interim order, costing me two sessions and valuable time. I submitted the C2 straight away and had her in court, in person, to enforce the interim order. Being hauled to an Enforcement Hearing made her realise I wasn't standing for it.

Defending your order should not make you look like the creator of conflict. If it does, I'm done! This is what the C2 form was created for.

Have you compiled a Parenting Agreement? I don't see anything that brings your co-parenting attempts into disrepute.

You're not the one breaching an order with unreasonable demands outside the boundaries of that order.

I’ve sent the photos. I drove back home when she refused to answer the door, took photos, but she still refused. I have him today and tonight though so not the end of the world, I had to drive back again and collect him this morning obviously.

It was annoying that his birthday family thing was ruined yesterday and that I had to drive back and forth for no reason though. And that I now have to take annual leave tomorrow.

I have a solicitor but I’m not full of confidence that they always give me the right steer. I also try to minimise correspondence because I’m getting bled dry!

So I’ve been reasonable, and I’ve taken the photos even though I didn’t have to. I’ll get my solicitor to
When is your final hearing? If it's not too far away it may be worth putting all this in your final statement rather than seeking further action beforehand. Although if it's a long time away I guess your solicitor can advice the best course of action.
So sorry you're being put through this. There's just no need.
2.5 months away. I’ll see what my solicitor advises.
The court recommended that additional overnights start over and above what was set out in the Order, but because it’s recommended rather than ordered, I need agreement from her. So appeasing her is important. It is however, extremely unlikely that any additional time will be agreed despite the court’s recommendation.

Unbelievable!

From experience, I'm guessing your interim order says something along the lines of; "the mother must ensure that the child/ren spend time with their father as follows; every (date/time)." No mention of you having to submit a photographic account of your sleeping arrangements and compliance with health & safety regulations?

No? What a surprise.

If the next hearing is some time away and if this behaviour continues you stand to lose valuable mid hearing time with your child, I would be filling in a court form C2, to make an application in existing court proceedings. You'll get a date for an Enforcement Hearing within a fortnight.

If you've been exchanging emails with your courts administrative team and they're relatively responsive you could try emailing the court with your case reference number to inform them that the interim order of (date) is not being complied with because the mother is insisting on photographic evidence of sleeping arrangements, which is not a part of the order, and can the court offer any advice. It's not their place to, but I did this and the clerks ran it passed my judge, he listened to the recording of the hearing and sent a message back; "this is what I ordered and it must be complied with, please advise Mr. Kyle that he may want to consider enforcement."

Personally, I don't think this is reasonable behaviour at all from the mother. It just smacks of a delay/deny tactics. My ex did this to me by contesting the courts decision to grant me supported contact centre time instead of supervised, as ordered in my interim order, costing me two sessions and valuable time. I submitted the C2 straight away and had her in court, in person, to enforce the interim order. Being hauled to an Enforcement Hearing made her realise I wasn't standing for it.

Defending your order should not make you look like the creator of conflict. If it does, I'm done! This is what the C2 form was created for.

Have you compiled a Parenting Agreement? I don't see anything that brings your co-parenting attempts into disrepute.

You're not the one breaching an order with unreasonable demands outside the boundaries of that order.
Thanks for the input, I’ll ask my solicitor if a C2 is the best move and take it from there. At the very least they will send her a warning letter I guess, and that warning letter can be appended to the next statement in 2.5 months’ time. As I said elsewhere, I need to appease her in a sense, in order to get increased time over and above what is set out in the order (the court “recommended” that additional time with me be agreed between parents - which most likely means it will never happen!)

So the other alternative, rather than send a solicitor letter, is just email the court informing them that the interim order isn't being complied with - that your ex insisted on seeing photos of child's room before she would let child come.

The downside to that is the court might just say - why didn't you just show her some photos? Obviously you shouldn't have to but they might expect you to have tried to sort it out. If you did show her some photos and the child comes then you can just say in your statement, that the Mother refused to follow the order unless I provided photos, for the second time, of child's room and set up, when there are no welfare issues. Just to show how awkward she is. But if you took photos and she then found fault with something and said - not letting him come, that isn't suitable - then you have even more to put in your statement about excuses preventing child from coming.

Personally what I would do is

a) Get the solicitor letter sent tomorrow saying she must comply with the order, there is no requirement for you to provide photos (and you have already done that previously) and ask for confirmation that child will be available to collect on Saturday.
b) Assuming they reply saying no she won't agree unless she has photos, then just take some photos and send them to her with a polite note saying - I hope this reassures you that our son has a suitable bedroom set up.
Thanks mate. I’m a little concerned she’ll pull this stunt on Xmas eve and my family will be devastated. A solicitor’s letter defo seems the right move.

And thanks to you and Kyle on your thoughts on the co-parenting conundrum. It seemed paradoxical and frustrating to me that his mother could breach an order but use it as an example that I’m being difficult or that we are unable to co-parent.

I’ll continue to put up with her requests in order to make it obvious that I’m being the reasonable one out of the two of us.

On a side note her whole argument in the last hearing was that he breastfeeds 6 times during the night (he turns 2 next week!) and is entirely dependent on co-sleeping with her. Hence she said that overnights cannot start with me until 2024(!). The court did not support her argument. Overnights started 2 weeks ago and he sleeps through the night fine, no tears or problems. Everything is going great.

Thanks for the input, I’ll ask my solicitor if a C2 is the best move and take it from there.

It is the last straw move. Of course it is worth considering the implications of just giving her what she wants and hope that is another of her hurdles overcome. But you've got to know when you're prepared to draw a line in the sand. Decisions involve a lot of balance. Yes submitting a C2 could put her on the defensive and see her put the barriers up making co-parenting even more difficult (which I'm sure will be a strong argument) but it also sends a message that you mean business and you are not going to be taken advantage of. A child has the right to have both parents in their life. Your interim order reflects some semblance of that.

And thanks to you and Kyle on your thoughts on the co-parenting conundrum. It seemed paradoxical and frustrating to me that his mother could breach an order but use it as an example that I’m being difficult or that we are unable to co-parent.

A lot of what our exes do and say is paradoxical and frustrating (there's a popular new thread on ex Mrs' behaviour and narcissism at the moment).

I get that a mother has this inherent sense of attachment. Who doesn't? They carry and give birth to our children. Taking absolutely nothing away from that. But this is the world of separated parents we are now in. And the sooner a stable and consistent, conflict free routine is in place the better for all.

A Parenting Agreement, especially one penned by the father, should make it crystal clear to the court how much thought, consideration and effort has gone into being a cooperative, co-parent.

I don't think it can be viewed in your case that "we are unable to co-parent" it looks like she (the ex) is unable to co-parent.

Last edited:
Unable or unwilling? Either way - you can have a defined order and parallel parenting (although parallel parenting isn't something you usually mention in court). Agree that it's good to show, after this interim period, that you weren't as awkward as her, and for the child's sake and to keep the peace you agreed to send her photos (if it comes to that but try a solicitor letter first - surely her own solicitor will tell her she has to follow the order!). I suspect if you do take photos she will claim to find fault - so make sure there is nothing to find fault with whatsoever! It's not nice having to answer to this demand but it will show the court you were willing to try and resolve the matter (on this occasion). If it comes to it. Do you think it's genuine anxiety that he might fall out of bed or something? If she's asking to see a photo of bed/cot sides? I would put some pillows on the floor next to the bed as well! Over egg it!

Or you could just send her a really polite email saying - just to reassure you of our child's safety, I confirm that his bed has cot sides - there are pillows on the floor next to the bed - the heater is 6 feet from the bed, is CE Kitemarked and has a safety cut out, there is a room thermometer in the room - there is a night light in the room and also a baby monitor which links to a "gadget" in my room. Or whatever. And then attach photos.

Thinking about it, when my son was 2 I did worry about him falling out of bed and injuring himself or wandering out of his room and falling down the stairs or something. Assume you have a stairgate? Biggest problem I had was keeping him in his own bed (he'd want to come and get into bed with me). I am guessing you already have everything in place anyway, but despite the fact there is a court order in place I would bend over backwards to prove to her there are no issues (and it could be useful evidence later if she then raises some other issue!).

And save your money. Then if you don't get an ok within a day of sending all this info, then get a solicitor's letter sent. So I'd send her photos and detailed information that no-one could argue with on safety grounds! And avoid the temptation to sound annoyed or sarcastic and add at the end

"I am of course willing to take on board any further suggestions you may have".

In other words - don't let her win with this. It's humiliating but I think I'd just do it tomorrow. If she doesn't say - fine you can pick him up on Saturday, by Tuesday night, then get a Solicitor to send a letter.

I am trying to think of anything she might find fault with. What bed coverings do you have? Duvet shouldn't be more than 4.5 tog for a toddler - sheets and blankets are ok. They can't control their body temperature so they can get too hot with a warmer duvet - main thing is have the room the right temperature and sheets and blankets (I stuck with those till my son was 3 or 4) or a 3 tog or 4.5 tog duvet.

You've got me thinking about it now! My ex never asked these questions (mainly because she got it all wrong herself and I worried myself stupid).

It could actually be very useful evidence - an email listing all your child safety things in the house lol!

I was quite thorough when I sent the photos on Saturday, I sent accompanying info about heaters etc. I didn’t know about the tog of the duvet though! Maybe I’ll send another text listing all the safety features of my home. I could ask that she does the same (although this might just be poking the bear with a stick). I’ve been trying to get another session of mediation arranged for ages, she’s making positive noises about it but delaying it because the mediator will presumably push for additional time and additional overnights with me (as recommended by the court order). I should draft a parenting plan in preparation (I did for the last mediation session 9 months ago but we never got anywhere with that it went terribly so the plan was never looked at). The parenting plan can include safety considerations (although I don’t want to commit to anything too intrusive like photos of him asleep every night).

I had him over last night instead of Saturday night. He pretty much slept through the night again last night with no difficulty, he woke up a bit disorientated twice, but fell asleep again in seconds. I’m very happy.

That's good you got him over last night :) So she accepted the photos then! If she hasn't mentioned duvets then don't bring it up lol. And yes it's tempting to ask her to provide a list of her safety measures but yes it would be poking the bear (and also at the moment, you look like the patient good guy but you could be seen as provoking conflict if you did the same in return).

It was a female friend who told me about the duvets - I looked it up and it says they shouldn't have a 10.5 tog duvet till they're 10! Even though I think many people do it earlier. So my son had a 4.5 tog duvet and a fleece blanket on top on colder nights that could be pushed off, but with the room warm enough it wasn't needed. They can get very ill if they get too hot and it can even lead to convulsions. So I just kept the room temperature right. Once they get to 3 or 4 it's less of a worry and he had a 6 tog duvet in winter then and the 4.5 tog one in summer.

Hi all, I’m sure this has been touched on elsewhere more than once (sadly) but I just wanted to ask the question in a manner that is specific to my predicament.

An interim CAO is in place that states that I have an overnight with our child every other Saturday (collection at 9am from her place, return at 5pm on Sunday). Plus a full day on alternate Sundays.

My child’s mother sent a text the night before I was due to collect our child (for his second overnight). The text demanded that I send detailed photos of my bed and bedroom, and my child’s bed and bedroom (including the location of the electric heater, safety rails on bed etc). The text said that if I didn’t send the photos then I wouldn’t be able to collect our child. The text alleged aggressive behaviour in front of our child at her doorstep last time (I replied that no such behaviour had occurred, that the conversation was carried out via her intercom, and that her recording intercom doorbell would back-up my position). I replied that I was not at home and was out-of-town, and that I was going direct to hers on the Saturday morning hence it would be impractical to drive back to my home to take photos. I replied that if she wasn’t going to have him ready for collection, to let me know in advance in order to save me a wasted 2.5 hr journey to her home.

I arrive at her doorstep on Saturday morning. She asks for photos. I reply that I have no photos. She refuses to come to the door. I send a message and email saying “it’s very disappointing, particularly as [child’s] gran and cousins drove a 4 hour journey to see him for his birthday that day. It’s not in his best interests. It’s also not fair to let me drive to your home for no reason.” She asks me to return home take photos and come back (2.5 hour round trip). She says that she told me that she wouldn’t open the door if I didn’t present photos (turns out she had sent me an iMessage in the middle of the night rather than a SMS, my phone can’t receive them. I actually asked a day earlier that she use a parenting app - as recommended by the court last year - instead of messages). I drive back home and take all the photos she needs and send them. But she then goes radio silence after I send them so basically I didn’t see him at all that day.
I had previously sent loads of photos of my room, his cot, his clothes, of bed guards that go on my bed, of him sleeping on the first night. This latest request was for additional photos. None of these photos were required by the court order obviously.

So my first question is what do I do? Tell my solicitor and then they send an email to her solicitor? This would cost me obvs but if it’s the correct procedure then I’ll do it. The court order also states that I must inform the court if the other party does not comply with any order or direction contained within it. Presumably the court has to be notified then? Is that all I do? Do I need to do the same thing again if she refuses to follow the order again?
Next question is how do I raise it in the forthcoming final hearing statement? (“Updating statement of no more than 5 pages”). I’ve received mixed advice. Depressingly I’ve actually been told by one source that this behaviour is an example of how we cannot co-parent and therefore it would actually work against me (and conversely would work in her favour). I’m seeking a lives with / lives with order (progressively increasing overnights culminating in a 50/50 arrangement). So I perhaps touch on it briefly, include the solicitor’s letter as an exhibit, but finish with “…however since then there have been no more incidents and Miss X has shown an encouraging willingness to co-parent”.

I’m actually really struggling to fit all my child’s mother’s antics into the updating statement. There’s a 5 page limit but most of that is my proposed schedule (it’s very detailed and gradually progressive and includes future school arrangements) plus the title page and signature page. If I don’t include a detailed account of this latest incident (inc. text messages as exhibits) then I’m certain my child’s mother will include it but spin it somehow into me being the bad guy.

That’s an incredibly long message and I apologise!

P.S. I’m aware that I have to basically put up with her unreasonable demands for the good of our child. I’m aware that I should be giving the court the impression that we, as co-parents, can really make shared care work (it’s hard to make this argument when she is so difficult though!)
The thing that concerns me about above , is her claiming aggressive behaviour at her doorstep in front of the kids. I had this with my ex. I would turn up to take them to school every tuesday and friday. They would never be ready and I had two options to wait outside in the car and boys would be late for school or to knock to try and gee everyone along. Either way it led to NMO and final hearing of supported contact. My advise is be very careful regarding pick ups without taking a third party with you.

With regard to demand to send proof that you have a safe bedroom, this is just ridiculous.

I feel for you mate , sounds just like my ex be wary and cover your arse

I have had the same sort of demands repeatedly. They are sent if we have too long without conflict or if there is something she is caving in on that she wants to try and claw back. Always end with a threat to withhold if I do not comply with her absurd requests.

The demand for photos is ridiculous, assurances should be enough. Either let her know that there is no issue to be addressed, or let her know that there is no risk, but that you are happy to confirm you have done X to put her mind at ease.

These demands are presented as tripwires. They ask for some or other reasonable assurance in the most outrageously unreasonable way, all you have to do is avoid letting the outrage into your response.

Without wanting to sound like a caveman, I always have at least two trusted female advisers read these emails and help me to get the response right. They are much better at picking out the reasonable bits I should heed from all the mess and nonsense.

The best way to show how ridiculous she is being is to indulge her as much as you can without compromising yourself and offer to co-parent as a way of resolving concerns. Solutions that result will either be so trivial as to be irrelevant, or be rejected because she is unwilling to work with you in any way.

E.g. "I am sorry to discover you have concerns regarding X, please share pictures of the setup you have for X so that I can provide assurances on equivalence, or take steps to replicate your risk management. It is great if we can work together to provide consistency in both homes."

"Thank you for confirming that you believe X is best for (child's name), I have long been of the opinion this would benefit him/her. Please confirm that we will be consistent with this across both homes. Do let me know as you make changes so that we can work together on important routines/developments"

This is what I used for temp:

And this in place of duvet:

Last edited:
No I wouldn't expect to be putting anything like safety assessments into a parenting plan. This is meant to be about facilitating quality time for a child with a parent not turning things into a military operation. :) Most parenting plans do have a part that mentions the child/ren should be allowed to communicate with the other parent when in each others care. That's perfectly reasonable. As long as it's proportionate and not excessive.

How much does your plan look like this: https://www.separatedfamilies.info/home/parenting-apart/parenting-agreements/

My dad has invested in a Dash Cam especially for the 4 hours he is allowed to collect my son each fortnight and he also takes his girlfriend with him as back up. I've watched the footage of his first collection and lets just say it was a good idea!

Rolling over for these photo's will either pay off and be a one off, if it is a genuine concern, or it will set a precedence that she can continue put up hurdles to disrupt contact to make things as difficult as she can, (getting the dad to jump through hoops at every opportunity will be very satisfying for the potential narcissistic control freak).

What will be interesting is how she keeps to her side of a plan. Because it's not all one way.

Reactions: Ash
The thing that concerns me about above , is her claiming aggressive behaviour at her doorstep in front of the kids. I had this with my ex. I would turn up to take them to school every tuesday and friday. They would never be ready and I had two options to wait outside in the car and boys would be late for school or to knock to try and gee everyone along. Either way it led to NMO and final hearing of supported contact. My advise is be very careful regarding pick ups without taking a third party with you.

With regard to demand to send proof that you have a safe bedroom, this is just ridiculous.

I feel for you mate , sounds just like my ex be wary and cover your arse
That is a good point too - although it sounds like you covered yourself. It could be an idea to have someone in the car, when you go to pick up - who can video you being at the handover.

No I wouldn't expect to be putting anything like safety assessments into a parenting plan. This is meant to be about facilitating quality time for a child with a parent not turning things into a military operation. :) Most parenting plans do have a part that mentions the child/ren should be allowed to communicate with the other parent when in each others care. That's perfectly reasonable. As long as it's proportionate and not excessive.

How much does your plan look like this: https://www.separatedfamilies.info/home/parenting-apart/parenting-agreements/

My dad has invested in a Dash Cam especially for the 4 hours he is allowed to collect my son each fortnight and he also takes his girlfriend with him as back up. I've watched the footage of his first collection and lets just say it was a good idea!

Rolling over for these photo's will either pay off and be a one off, if it is a genuine concern, or it will set a precedence that she can continue put up hurdles to disrupt contact to make things as difficult as she can, (getting the dad to jump through hoops at every opportunity will be very satisfying for the potential narcissistic control freak).

What will be interesting is how she keeps to her side of a plan. Because it's not all one way.
He's done the photos now. I don't see it as rolling over - with it being mid hearing - but being strategic. However frustrating and humiliating. It can help to prepare for certain clauses you want in the final order to stop her continuing with these kind of demands.

At least he got to see his kid :) . No doubt she will try and come up with something else. The idea of mediation is to try and build trust between the parties so they trust the child is safe with the other parent. As well as reach agreements. Of course this doesn't work if someone has an agenda.

Photos as a one off at the start is not a disaster, but threats to breach the order in the absence of photos cannot become the norm.

This stuff is likely to amplify as the child becomes better at communicating. An innocent event reported to mum will be blown out of all proportion to make you look like a monster. It gets really tricky, because I do not like to deny the grain of truth and make my child out to be lying. I also have to acknowledge the concern, without caving into the ridiculous demand being made.

With some of the messages there are 3 options:

1) ignore and get punished - withheld
2) accept without protecting yourself, and get punished - stranglehold
3) respond reasonably, avoid short term pain, pay the price when your compromise is misrepresented in future

In my experience, 3 is usually the lesser evil.

Back