Guest viewing is limited

witness statement query

Pop222

Hi gentlemen,
Ex has forwarded her witness statement. It includes her therapist giving a statement, which includes not only ex's symptoms of distress, but personality traits of the type of person that could 'cause' such symptoms to someone. Basically ex has gotten a therapist to diagnose me as an abuser without even speaking to me.

1)Can ex include a third party statement in her own witness statement (without court's permission)
2) and can she use her own therapist to insinuate my character from only ex's accounts?
cheers

Imagine if you had a therapist that said your ex is a narcissistic nutjob.

They're not going to listen to a third party who hasn't been court appointed and diagnosing someone they haven't met.

My partners ex did similar a few times. "My therapist says my ex is abusive and to stop him seeing the kids", "My therapist recommends my ex does anger management for X amount of weeks". The court ignored it.
It's triangulating someone else into the situation and letting someone else take responsibility.

Imagine if you had a therapist that said your ex is a narcissistic nutjob.

They're not going to listen to a third party who hasn't been court appointed and diagnosing someone they haven't met.

My partners ex did similar a few times. "My therapist says my ex is abusive and to stop him seeing the kids", "My therapist recommends my ex does anger management for X amount of weeks". The court ignored it.
It's triangulating someone else into the situation and letting someone else take responsibility.
Okay, good to know the courts don't take these things with too much credibility. I hope CAFCASS will view it the same way.

Her witness statement to CAFCASS is 50 pages long! (23 statement and 27 exhibit). I'm about 14 with 15 exhibit, and even that feels too long.

Better to chuck it all in, or reserve some?

Her witness statement to CAFCASS is 50 pages long! (23 statement and 27 exhibit). I'm about 14 with 15 exhibit, and even that feels too long.

Her statement to the court you mean? I highly doubt even half that is going to get read.
Usually the court give a page limit (mine is 8 for the final hearing)

Reactions: Ash
Her statement to the court you mean? I highly doubt even half that is going to get read.
Usually the court give a page limit (mine is 8 for the final hearing)
CAFCASS requested one. They didn't put a limit on pages..
Does your 8 include evidence exhibits?

Judge said no to fact finding so seems she's trying to use this as her 'opportunity to be heard'

CAFCASS requested one. They didn't put a limit on pages..
Does your 8 include evidence exhibits?

Judge said no to fact finding so seems she's trying to use this as her 'opportunity to be heard'

Exhibits can be tacked on above the 8
Mags denied fact find and S7 for me because her claims are literally the most nonsensical things you could read and CAFCASS were very receptive to me

I'd keep yours as it is.
As long as it's factual, easy to read and concise it doesn't matter how much the ex puts in hers.
Hopefully the courts will see she's bulking it up with waffle and no substance. No-one will read it page to page. They don't have the time.

Exhibits can be tacked on above the 8
Mags denied fact find and S7 for me because her claims are literally the most nonsensical things you could read and CAFCASS were very receptive to me
Good to hear CAFCASS were supportive of your position. They've dismissed my ex's ridiculous claims, and so she's written her life story!

I'd keep yours as it is.
As long as it's factual, easy to read and concise it doesn't matter how much the ex puts in hers.
Hopefully the courts will see she's bulking it up with waffle and no substance. No-one will read it page to page. They don't have the time.
Hers is all over the place, and very repetitive. I'm keeping mine chronological as much as I can

I was advised to never do more than 8 pages for the actual statement - and limit attachments/evidence to the strongest 8 pieces ideally (but you can have more). Has yours been submitted/exchanged yet (seeing as you have now had hers - aren't they normally supposed to be exchanged at the same time).

When you say yours is chronological, what you could do is write a timeline document and attach that as evidence, so you could maybe refine the statement more. But if you think the 14 pages reads really well then you could leave it as it is. But it might not all get read.

What kind of evidence have you attached? Courts tend not to like a lot of photos - documents count the most (emails, letters, reports etc).

Back