Guest viewing is limited

Will the CMS actually chase lower payments?

Glennfunk

Hi Dads. I have a potentially unusual question. I have always paid the amount specified by the Child Maintenance Service, and I’ve never missed a payment in 10 years of my ex signing us up to the system. However, I’ve always felt that the calculation for payments is way too high-versus the actual cost of bringing up my two children.
They are using the correct information regarding number of nights that my children stay with me, gross income etc, but I still think the monthly amount is unfairly high.
What I really want to know is, has anyone ever paid less than the CMS are prescribing, and if they have, what happened? Were they hounded, and did prosecution or deduction from salary ever occur. My suspicion is that, and I may be being naive here, that as long as the mother is getting some money, they are unlikely to prioritise the enforcement. Does anyone know if this is likely to be the case?
Thanks.

I think you would be an easy target for them. If you feel you are paying too much then you should consider legitimate ways to reduce the amounts, if you can afford them.

For example, perhaps you would like to take one afternoon off a week in return for a 10% cut in salary? After tax and child maintenance you might not see that much of the 10% anyway and get more out of the free time (you could even save money if the time gives you more chance to do your own DIY, plumbing etc).

Another option is to maximise what you put in to a pension. Up to about 25% of gross salary will probably be considered reasonable.

Back