Guest viewing is limited

What would you ask for in a child arrangement order ?

Merlin836

Experienced member
I do apologize as I'm no doubt sure this has been addressed before but I thought id bring it up.
When asking for what you would like in a CAO I feel like there could be something that you may forget and then later think 'crap I forgot to ask '

These are things I would ask for but feel theres something missing too .

What days/hours etc you would like to request i.e 3 overnights .
how days such as christmas and birthdays etc to be arranged .

What holidays you request , I'd like 4 weeks a year minimum with it being reciprocated of course.

What do other people request or actually have .

I have a potential final hearing next week and I'm trying to get everything together .

It's usual to set things out in a more specific way so you get what you ask for. Have you already submitted a final/witness statement for the hearing? That is where you can attach evidence and explain why the order you're asking for is needed. At the end of it you usually set out what you want. It could be as simple as you say above, but if it's too vague, you can bet the other side will shave off as much as possible. I think it helps to be more specific.

Eg You could say

I therefore request the court makes an order as follows:

For the children to live with both their parents:

During term-time

Week 1: Friday from school through to Monday morning school drop off with Father, Monday through to Wednesday school drop off with Mother. Wednesday through to Friday school drop off with Father.

Week 2: Friday through to Wednesday school drop off with Mother, Wednesday through to Monday school drop off with Father.

And half the school holidays with each parent as follows:

The first half of the Easter holidays with Father and the second half with Mother in 2025 and odd years. The first half of the Easter holidays with Mother and the second half with Father in 2026 and even years.

May half term with Mother in 2025 and odd years and with Father in 2026 and even years
October half term with Father in 2025 and odd years and with Mother in 2026 and even years
February half time to be divided between the parents equally, each year, keeping to the usual week-end schedule with changeover at midday on the Wednesday

Summer holidays to be divided equally, with the first half with Father and the second half with Mother in 2025 and odd years and the first half with Mother and the second half with Father in 2026 and even years.

Christmas holidays to be divided equally, with the first half with Father and the second half with Mother in 2025 and odd years and the first half with Mother and the second half with Father in 2026 and even years.

Early May Bank holiday Monday to be spent with Father if it follows the childrens scheduled week-end with him. Otherwise this day will be spent with Mother.

All school holiday periods to commence from the time school ends on the last day of term, and end at the time school recommences on the first day of the following term.

Special Days:

Special Days will be Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Child's Birthday. For special days, there will be an additional day with the respective parent from 5pm the night before until 9am the morning after, unless the child is already scheduled to be with the respective parent. Child's birthday will be spent with Mother in 2025 and odd years and with Father in 2026 and even years.

That kind of thing - the above is for equal time so it would be 3.5 days a week rather than 3 and half the holidays instead of "at least 4 weeks a year". If you don't ask you don't get. But it might depend what you asked for in your initial application.

The above is an example - it doesn't always work having a special day for child's birthday if it's during term time as they're in school and it can get complicated. If child's birthday is during the school holidays then it will automatically be alternated each year along with the holiday weeks being alternated.

It's a tricky one as doing shift work such as a 4in 4 off shift I think changes things a touch although being off for 4 days in a row and being off for a long time i.e 12 days consecutlvely when booking a shift off I felt would be beneficial but it's a tricky one to put down I think.

Reactions: Ash
Back