Guest viewing is limited

Unhealthy Relationship With 17 Year Teenage Daughter - I Need Her To Move Out

Hibee1875

Hi all, I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Especially those who have experienced something similar to me.

I am a single father of 2 teenage girls, aged 17 & 14.

I divorced from their mother 12 months ago. We initially separated in Nov 2021. The eldest one was loyal to her mother and was unhappy with me, because of the split. She made no contact with me, over 2 years. The girls up until recently were living with their mother.

The girl's mother (ex-wife) sadly passed away a month ago.

In a very difficult and sad situation, I took both girls on and they have been living with me for the past month.

Having the girls back was okay, to begin with. However, I noticed that the eldest has still not forgiven me about splitting with her mother. Her body language is very negative and in general, is very disrespectful.

A couple of weeks ago, she told my mum that "she would never forgive me" following the divorce & separation of their mother. She also said that she "would put up with me for the next 3 years living with him in the family house, until they get the inheritance. He would be living in iscolation".

On the back of this, both my parents, family & close friends told me not to move back to the original family house.

At present, we are all living in a very small house (1 bedroom for 3 people) and the atmosphere is becoming toxic. If she does overstep the mark, I do pull her up & she does comply, but it is becoming a strain. I just cannot relax when she is around. There is too much bad feeling around the house.

Last night she threw a massive strop when I told her that we were not going back to the original family house. That was for financial and many other reasons.

She wanted to move back to the family house and get the inheritance when the youngest turns 18 in 3 years time.

Because she was so unhappy about this, she really loathed me again. She is now staying with her Aunt for up to a week.

I am very glad about this. It makes life for me in the house so much easier.

This may sound crazy, but I do not want her back.

Her being around just brings back memories of the dark days during the lockdown, ahead of my late ex-wife and I separating.

Her return would have a negative effect on my health & well-being.

I cannot see the auntie (ex-wife’s sister) keeping her for too long, as she has a small property also.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks!!

Hi @Hibee1875 , welcome to the forum, I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances and present situation with your eldest daughter.

It can be difficult to understand how to move forward when your are trying to cope with the day to day managing this.

I can understand the need to prioritise immediate wellbeing of yourself, that is an appropriate action, as without your own health you cannot help and support your children.

Looking from the outside, it feels like your daughter needs time, her immediate need is to grieve and she is in an incredibly difficult emotional situation as she is also unknowingly having to deal with the one-sided views from your separation.

She may even feel that by reconciling with you she is going to be betraying her Mother.

I wont deal directly at this stage with the post seperation reconciliation journey, as this feels too early to focus on that.

I would strongly recommend that you find a locally based Councillor for her to see and work through the grief.

If you can, find those adults she respects and get their buy in to the process, so that they can support her to make the decision to see the counsellor.

I wish you the best on this, please feel free to keep posting here for advice as you move forward, we are a supportive community and you will find plenty of help from members.

Take every day one step at a time, moving forward may look difficult but you will find a way to support you girls through this.

MJ

Hi MagicJ. Thanks for the supportive words. All sensible stuff & very positive. The Counselling route does sound like an effective avenue to take.
Thanks
Hibee1875

Back