Guest viewing is limited

squaring the circle

NewcastleBrownAle

Experienced member
OK, I've spent many hours reading through the posts on this forum, learning. I'm lucky to have found this site and it has some amazing people in it. A thread that runs deep, is how to negotiate the legal system that is rather leaning towards the mother ( as the usual resident parent) even though it is often the case that that same mother, is unreasonable, malicious, dishonest and not child centric.

So, I want to share this with you all. In 1983, when I was at college, I met a famous conductor and a famous musician ( who was my mentor as principle professor). The conductor was a former nazi ( by membership), the musician was a jew. I sat and listened to them over a cup of tea, and they seemed to talk, just like old friends, clearly admiring each other.

On the way out, the conductor turned to me and said "..do you hear, or do you have to listen"? he was gone before I had even thought of an answer, and its stuck with me since then, it seems such an odd question. I thought it was a question on music, until I was talking about it many years later.

How could these 2 people who despised each other so much, act like old friends ?

What he was pointing out, is there are many talents, but the "being friendly to people you find repulsive" is truly a talent or a very hard learned skill. One that we all have to learn if we are to succeed in court.

me? not talented in this at all. I can't help myself but portray my dislike. I'll have to learn hard over the next few months.

That is an interesting story. It also reminds me of that saying about keeping your friends close and your enemies closer! I think that is why it can be very hard to represent yourself - it needs an attitude. It is so much easier to have representation and someone who speaks for you and says the correct things without them being emotionally involved - and has knowledge of the law so knows what they can say that makes the Judge take heed. Not everyone can afford representation and then it really is a case of trying to detach from the personal. If she's in your head winding you up - try and find a way to have a clear head and only think about her and the situation for 10 minutes a day say, then move onto doing normal things. It's hard to practice but can be quite effective.

It's bizarre that open honest people can't just say what they really think but the law is a strange thing and very formal - almost another language.

I wasn't saying love your enemies lol! That expression, keep your enemies closer, is to protect yourself by keeping up a necessary amicability not necessarily love them lol.

No but it applied to @NewcastleBrownAle
original story.

There are similar proverbs in Buddhism.
Try to have compassion basically for the people who are screwing you over.
People who can do that are saints haha.

No but it applied to @NewcastleBrownAle
original story.

There are similar proverbs in Buddhism.
Try to have compassion basically for the people who are screwing you over.
People who can do that are saints haha.
I can have no such compassion for a woman who, for no good reason, has accused me of such horrible things, as she has done with others. But as Ash, in his wise words says, one battle at a time and the first battle is to save my son.

That's why I say anyone who can feel that way is a Saint.
I can't have positive feelings towards my partners ex after what she has put him and the kids through.
To me it's unforgivable.

Back