Guest viewing is limited

So confused. When to stop paying?

J0hn

Hi,

I know this question has probably been asked a million times. But I’m confused.

The CMS website give the explanation of when to stop paying. It’s the bracket that full time education falls under.

I’m in a private agreement with my ex partner and have been for 10 years.

My daughter will be 18 at the start of August 2025 and will leave school. She’s is undecided if she will be attending college first or straight to university.

I contacted the CMS and they said that I would end the payments in the August 2025 when she leaves school and attends either College or University.

Everything else seems to contradict this advice.

Can someone help clear it up for me?

Thanks in advance

It is confusing. I thought that if a child continued in education, then CMS continues until age 20.

You could maybe have a discussion with your ex about post 18 finances - if it's informal at the moment. Eg suggest you pay directly towards tuition fees for University rather than CM? As long as it's agreed in writing.

You could maybe have a discussion with your ex about post 18 finances - if it's informal at the moment. Eg suggest you pay directly towards tuition fees for University rather than CM? As long as it's agreed in writing.
Sorry.
Should have mentioned that we live in Scotland. University is free. Accommodation won’t be though depends on where she attends. Could possibly be brought up in conversation. And later agreed in writing. Thanks for the help.

Back