Guest viewing is limited

Seeking work related advice

Fellowshipper

Those of you regularly here will likely be familiar with my occasional posts about problems at work (in part aggravated by the well known difficulties we all here face in our personal lives) but today I hit an all time low with my employer, wherefore even the sight of him now repels me.

There have been so many times I could have stood up to him, both in terms of his criticism on how I do my job and also borderline inappropriate behaviour, such as swearing and making lame jokes (often of a vulgar sexual nature which I reckon is unprofessional as well as distasteful) but in truth I do not know at all how to respond appropriately to a manager without either entering in to conflict, or otherwise arguing my case without incurring his displeasure, which is the point he'll want to get rid of me and I'll be out of a job. So I end up just taking it on the chin and let him spew out whatever rubbish he comes up with.

Truthfully, he pissed me off today that much, I was on edge, I almost ended up quitting on the spot and giving him the middle finger, but let's say I simply just walked out, then I look for another job- will the future prospective employer still seek a reference from this bloke, and would this bloke still provide it despite me walking out on him?

In any case, I just need to change my job, and if I call in sick next week to use the time to find it, then so be it.

An ex employer cannot give a negative reference.
Is there another manager or supervisor you could get a reference from?

I've quit a job more than once and still managed to get a job.

When going to interviews and you're asked why you left this job just say you felt like you'd naturally come to the end and felt like you needed something new to reignite your enthusiasm. Or some other bs they love to hear.
People leave toxic jobs all the time.
Grin and bear the moron boss and look for something else. Life is too short for crappy jobs.

An ex employer cannot give a negative reference.
Is there another manager or supervisor you could get a reference from?

I've quit a job more than once and still managed to get a job.

When going to interviews and you're asked why you left this job just say you felt like you'd naturally come to the end and felt like you needed something new to reignite your enthusiasm. Or some other bs they love to hear.
People leave toxic jobs all the time.
Grin and bear the moron boss and look for something else. Life is too short for crappy jobs.
Oh yes, I meant more as in when they do the checkable 5 year work history thing. I never have any idea what this entails?

You're right, I'm done with this job. It's better I just leave at this point, then do something I could regret later. It just isn't worth the bother.

Yeah get out of it.
You've already got the stress of the stuff going on in your personal life.
You need a job you can go to to be a distraction.

Back