Guest viewing is limited

Section 7 and school

Yes they make enquiries to school, and the safeguarding lead will normally involve themselves. Just been going through this and seemed they were informed from the offset and took it up one themselves to start to question my 5yr old at school about who she wants to live with, found it completely inappropriate and very intrusive, no warning to parents, so be prepared.

That’s helpful. We are in the position where we have no contact and the mother is unlikely to have told the children about court as we are pretty sure she has been feeding them the lie that their dad wants nothing to do with them.
There is a section 7 being conducted so hopefully they will meet them at school and be able to explain things.

Not sure that Cafcass contact the school as such, if the child is struggling at school there maybe a support service/child psychologist who will be supporting them, in this way Cafcass may go to the school as part of an assessment to speak to your child independently of the mother, (this makes sense so as to be impartial) - but contacting the school (not sure that they get involved tbh)

Ok thanks.
Reason why I am asking is because I found out my child broke their finger at school last October. I was spending time with my child at the time and nothing was mentioned and it was a type 5 fracture.

I discovered this in November when I obtained the medical records.

I found it strange me not being told and my child had to pretend finger was ok and even the splint mentioned in the medical notes must have been taken off for me not to notice anything.
I called the school who informed me they hadn't been told about it as a risk assement would have been done. Again strange and concerning.

in my first hearing before section 7 was announced I produced evidence about all this and my concerns. But I will be mebtioning this to cafcass of they are unaware of it in my meeting.

I emailed the school last week to confirm to me in email if the mom did in the end mention the broken finger and I've had no reply. I'm just wondering if they knew about the section 7 and don't want to get involved or it was wrong of me to ask something.

Yes they make enquiries to school, and the safeguarding lead will normally involve themselves. Just been going through this and seemed they were informed from the offset and took it up one themselves to start to question my 5yr old at school about who she wants to live with, found it completely inappropriate and very intrusive, no warning to parents, so be prepared

Yes they make enquiries to school, and the safeguarding lead will normally involve themselves. Just been going through this and seemed they were informed from the offset and took it up one themselves to start to question my 5yr old at school about who she wants to live with, found it completely inappropriate and very intrusive, no warning to parents, so be prepared.
Speechless 5 years old.

That’s helpful. We are in the position where we have no contact and the mother is unlikely to have told the children about court as we are pretty sure she has been feeding them the lie that their dad wants nothing to do with them.
There is a section 7 being conducted so hopefully they will meet them at school and be able to explain things.
Same situation I know the mother has spoken about court because my child texts me moaning like I'm the bad person taking mother to court.
When I emailed the mother about these concerns she tells me I'm harassing her.

Not sure that Cafcass contact the school as such, if the child is struggling at school there maybe a support service/child psychologist who will be supporting them, in this way Cafcass may go to the school as part of an assessment to speak to your child independently of the mother, (this makes sense so as to be impartial) - but contacting the school (not sure that they get involved tbh)
From looking at school app my child since not seeing me has been acting up in school and being very rude receiving detention frequently. I reached out to the mother about this to be told it's my fault. How??! If mother has used parent slow nation to drive us apart. Haven't seen my child.

From looking at school app my child since not seeing me has been acting up in school and being very rude receiving detention frequently. I reached out to the mother about this to be told it's my fault. How??! If mother has used parent slow nation to drive us apart. Haven't seen my child.
This all happened to me, don't contact the mother just let speak to the school and tell them the situation.

Quick question. Are school alerted that a student of theirs is going to be going through a section 7? My son is 12.
If they're going to talk to the child at the school they'll need to communicate the appointment date and time and reason. It's likely that they will also talk to the Safeguarding Lead, normally the headteacher and get their thoughts. This is the case with my eight year old and the school appears to be fraternising with the mother for some time. On the other hand my child is positive about me and their feelings for me.

As far as I am aware, Cafcass do ask schools for feedback - and possibly to see any records (which would include any communications to school from either parent). They certainly used to - whether they cut corners on this now, I don't know. In my case they contacted the school during the initial safeguarding checks/letter - but I think they don't do that now. Which might be why there are no so many section 7's. Sounds like a waste of resources to not do these checks earlier.

I was always advised to keep things in writing with the school and have things in writing and on record. Minimally of course and in a child focused way. You can't bombard the school with long negative rants about the ex (my ex did that and it looked bad for her) or excessively question the school. If you do it too much they know you're trying to create a papertrail. But, for example, if you had a concern, (about the child specifically) you could email the school and mention it and ask them to give any support they can and let you know if child has any problems. That's the child focused way. But don't criticise the ex to them - they won't get involved in parents accusing each other (Especially if it's a Dad).

Eg you could say "I'm not sure if you're aware, but I have made an application to the family court and legal proceedings are underway regarding Bob and Emily. While they are not directly aware of legal proceedings, they are aware something is going on and they may be under some stress at this time. I would be very grateful if you could offer any support you can, at this time, or let me know if you have any concerns. Unfortunately there is very little communication between their Mother and myself at present. I would be grateful if you could keep this email on file. Thank you, kind regards - you (Dad of Bob and Emily)."

Schools are supposed to keep all communications on file. A file that Cafcass may ask to see. You want to keep the school onside and bend over backwards to be helpful and child focused. Schools themselves are child focused and are responsible for caring for children when they're at school - they are less interested in parents. If you ask about specific things like a broken finger and what they know - they may put the shutters up and feel they are being interrogated as to whether they did the right thing. I think most schools, if a child was found to have a broken finger, would not assume that either parent had deliberately caused it. Unless the child themselves told someone about abuse. Then they would call social services in.

Thanks for this. Yes it seems that they have put the shutters up as no reply. Even if they replied back with they do not wish to comment or something would be appreciated.

Grest advice about keeping everything in writing with them. The original communication about the hidden broken finger in November was a phone call I wish I had emailed now then I would have it in writing that 2weeks in from x-ray the mother and my child had not mentioned anything to the school. My child was even doing pe with a broken finger. This upsets me. I just know the mother has encouraged her to carry on at school like nothing has happened. I know how violent and short fused the mother was when I was with her and my child growing up has came to me upset how twisting ears etc and dragging around has happened and school were aware of this from my child mentioning stuff to teacher. Mother was reported and investigated so at court it always flags up.
So as you can imagine the secrecy of the finger is a worry and I 2 month before that child's fingers were sent to me bandaged up nails black and then a break couple months later on the other hand just makes it suspicious why it's being hidden.

Totally understand what with you say about the school. If they don't reply back to me but communicatesupply cafcass with what they need them I'm fine with that.

Scool app has alerted me that my child isnt in school hasn't been since Friday I had a call on sat child was fine phone call now absent all week from school I'm worried and I can't ask till my Saturday.
I feel I can't ask the school as I feel I'm botheting them.

I think that you have a justifiable reason to submit a SAR to the school. Anything relating to your child's wellbeing must be logged on the CPOMS system. I think if you include details of absences in your request they should be listed as well. Be specific in your request from such date to now, concerning my child, details of any meetings between teaching staff and my child, any accident reports etc.

It'll come out in the wash, if they are avoiding letting you know about stuff for some reason the SAR will force the issue.

what I did for my SAR was to send one to the police requesting any information, one to the childs doctor and hospital also I would also ask for a copy of the ex's mental health records assuming you thought to tell Cafcass this if it was the case?

Thanks for this. Yes it seems that they have put the shutters up as no reply. Even if they replied back with they do not wish to comment or something would be appreciated.

Grest advice about keeping everything in writing with them. The original communication about the hidden broken finger in November was a phone call I wish I had emailed now then I would have it in writing that 2weeks in from x-ray the mother and my child had not mentioned anything to the school. My child was even doing pe with a broken finger. This upsets me. I just know the mother has encouraged her to carry on at school like nothing has happened. I know how violent and short fused the mother was when I was with her and my child growing up has came to me upset how twisting ears etc and dragging around has happened and school were aware of this from my child mentioning stuff to teacher. Mother was reported and investigated so at court it always flags up.
So as you can imagine the secrecy of the finger is a worry and I 2 month before that child's fingers were sent to me bandaged up nails black and then a break couple months later on the other hand just makes it suspicious why it's being hidden.

Totally understand what with you say about the school. If they don't reply back to me but communicatesupply cafcass with what they need them I'm fine with that.

Scool app has alerted me that my child isnt in school hasn't been since Friday I had a call on sat child was fine phone call now absent all week from school I'm worried and I can't ask till my Saturday.
I feel I can't ask the school as I feel I'm botheting them.
It is very worrying and upsetting - been there. Are you allowed to contact your ex? If so I would message her and say you're aware son is off school all week, presumably unwell, and please advice what is the matter with him and if he has seen a Doctor.

Because then she's having some pressure put on her if she hasn't taken him to a Doctor and it comes out. I would email the school as well and say you're aware child is of school all week, do they know what is wrong with him?

I was so concerned in a situation like this once, I called the police to do a welfare check. They just laughed and said no - not doing a welfare check because a child is off sick and with his Mother. They did eventually when I called social services but I then just got accused of harrassment. Surprisingly Cafcass were quite understanding and said I had a right to know if my son was unwell.

Back