Guest viewing is limited

Response to other parent taking child abroad.. possible abduction!

Sam Bailey

Hello Everyone!

I will try keep this brief. Child is 6, lives with mother 50% of the time with a CAO in place.

Mother threatened to abduct 2 years ago, evidence was produced to obtain a PSO to prevent this and a CAO was sort after to stop her denying access to child. Child's passport is with a solicitor and can not be released without consent by both parents.

During these 2 years she was been barely amicible in communication and petty as expected.

Recently she has asked to take our child on holiday abroad and have advised that she will apply for a Specific Issue Order if I do not agree.

I intend to not agree in fear of abduction (her immediate family are in Malaysia). How can I officially reject this, I mean is there a casefile where I can copy the wording? Also, has anyone gone through something like this? What should I expect from a Specific Issue Order hearing and do I again need to spend a lot of money to arm myself with a solicitor and a barrister?

Many Thanks

Hi. If she applies for a specific issues order, the court will decide whether she can take this holiday or not. Obviously if she has family in Malaysia she will want to visit them (unless they come here). Don't bank on them knowing the history. If she did apply for it, then yes I would use a direct access barrister. To make sure you get the best outcome. If they do say she can go on this holiday, then there would need to be special precautions in place to ensure she has to come back (not sure what exactly). But I am sure the court would say something heavy like if she didn't come back she'd be prosecuted and residence given to you.

Thing is Malaysia may be a country the Uk doesn't have a deal with for abduction cases (a lawyer would know that). Has she given details of where the holiday is to be? It might only be to Spain!

The holiday in question is in Europe but I am still concerned that she would use this opportunity to fly directly to Malaysia where it would be very difficult to force her to come back.

In regards to the nature of a Specific Issue Order, am I right in assuming that worst case scenario they grant the holiday with safeguards? and best case scenario they do not grant this and everything turns back to normal? Also, would legal costs be granted to the other party?

All I can think is they would somehow order something that meant on arrival in Europe, her passport was retained by the airport and to get it back she’d have to get on the correct flight.

The difficulty is, despite the concerns, her lawyer could claim it’s draconian to prevent her leaving the country permanently.

If she did put in for specific issues you could counter apply for prohibited steps. What about the old PSO? Was it permanent or temporary?

It’s rare to order costs in family court unless someone has behaved extremely badly.

I think the courts would have expected you both to have tried mediation first. She would certainly have to have a MIAM before she applied (unless the holiday is imminent).

Last edited:
What does you prohibited steps order say? Does it last until child is 18? If so then it stands and she can't leave the country unless she seeks specific permission and you'd have to then say - there's a PSO in place and if the court does approve this holiday there must be some way of the passport being retained on arrival in Europe, to ensure return on the correct flight.

Of course she might just be bluffing about going for the Specific Issues order to try and get you to agree to the holiday, rather than run up bills for yourself. But I would just see what happens. If she does apply for one, you'll get court papers in the post.

The PSO was temporary, lasted for 1 year while we went to court over child arrangements. The final hearing with cao specified that she can not taje him abroad with my consent.

Ok. So you don't give consent, she applies for a specific issues order and you have to raise the fact she has threatened abduction in the past (which could be possible from Europe to Malaysia) so you need something legal in place to ensure that child can't be abducted if she takes him on an overseas holiday. I think you;d have to counterapply with prohibited steps application saying child should not be removed from the country by the Mother - unless there is some kind of legal protection to ensure she only gets on the European flight back to the Uk and not to any other country. I have no idea if that's possible. Suggest you get a free half hour's legal advice on this one.

It does not look like Malaysia is part of the Hague Convention, this means it is high risk:

Some hints and tips from the FCO:

If your child has citizenship of an EU state then travel may be possible on the card rather than a passport, this would mean cannot get out of EU.

Great stuff Resolute. So it is definitely a risk if it's not a Hague convention country. Re EU citizenship - presumably child was born in Uk? And we're not part of the EU now so I doubt a card would work within Europe now. And from what I remember, Spain always wanted passports anyway (whereas France would accept cards).

Maybe it's actually reasonable to say - no she can't ever leave the country - and her family can visit her here. There must be a way to stop her leaving Spain though, if they allowed her to go there.

Great stuff Resolute. So it is definitely a risk if it's not a Hague convention country. Re EU citizenship - presumably child was born in Uk? And we're not part of the EU now so I doubt a card would work within Europe now. And from what I remember, Spain always wanted passports anyway (whereas France would accept cards).

Maybe it's actually reasonable to say - no she can't ever leave the country - and her family can visit her here. There must be a way to stop her leaving Spain though, if they allowed her to go there.

If either parent has citizenship of an EU country, or grandparent if Irish, child could be eligible. Agreements and eligibility probably vary from state to state. The ID card is still valid in some circumstances.

I believe restrictions on travel outside the UK would be reasonable. If there is a way to prohibit exit from EU, that would be fair. The FCO stuff suggests some sensible measures for the interim.

Reactions: Ash
Neither parent has citizenship of an EU country.

There are already warnings in the CAO that a parent needs the approval from the other parent. But if the mother continues to apply for a Specific Issue Order what is likely to happen? If they reject.. will they continue to object until what age? I fear that even if the first couple of attempts at court are rejected, the courts may eventually agree for the child to actually have holidays.

Some case past cases or people with experience of similiar situations would be of so much help.

Have you read the FCO stuff about embassies and port alerts?

I would think about taking the bull by the horns and applying for a Prohibited Steps Order yourself. An SIO could be granted at fairly short notice and it might be difficult for you to get the risk across to the court in time. In my view, it would be valuable to propose a way of holidays abroad being possible without the risk of them getting to Malaysia. It could look unreasonable to oppose any holiday at all.

The fact you had a PSO previously is in your favour, the court has already recognised the risk.

Reactions: Ash
I'm not sure there are too many with international relocation problems on here right now. It's something a lawyer might need to advise on. (They will usually give free initial advice for half an hour or an hour). But some solicitors might not know either. I also can't quite imagine banning her from leaving the Uk ever - or until the child is 18 or something. Perhaps they can do port alerts within another country (ie the one she's going to) to make sure she only goes to the Uk from there.

Maybe wait and see if she does apply for the specific issues order. But I can imagine her lawyer will of course be arguing her case and saying it's "draconian" and why shouldn't she visit her family. The answer would have to be - because she's previously threatened to abduct and that's why there was a PSO in place.

Annoying she couldn't have just booked a holiday in Scotland or Cornwall! I can completely understand your concern, and I would feel the same.

There is no imminent risk at the passport is held by a solicitor and we need to come to an agreement or an order from the court for the solicitor to release the passport.

With them possibly arguing that not allowing a child to go on any holidays is draconian, how can any parent allow this to happen knowing that threats were made in the past. What arguements can I possibly bring up if this does in fact go to court?

The arguments would be that threats were made in the past to abduct - state that this is all in the court bundle from final hearing, and which is why there was a prohibited steps order, which has expired, and ask for a new one. While being clear you do not wish to prevent the Mother enjoying holidays with the Child but the destination needs to be one from which the child cannot be abducted.

There is no imminent risk at the passport is held by a solicitor and we need to come to an agreement or an order from the court for the solicitor to release the passport.

With them possibly arguing that not allowing a child to go on any holidays is draconian, how can any parent allow this to happen knowing that threats were made in the past. What arguements can I possibly bring up if this does in fact go to court?

If the child is eligible for another passport, dual citizenship, that could make the passport held by solicitor irrelevant. Restrictions on application for a further passport might be a good move. It would be worth looking into what would be necessary for child to enter Malaysia, if a visa would be necessary then restriction on that would be useful. It is also worth looking into any EU states that have visa free travel agreement with Malaysia.

Whilst all our situations and the difficulties we encounter are very specific to each and everyone of us I've had the threat of relocation with a child back to an original country of birth given in the past. Quite what possesses another parent to throw in such a nasty, hostile, provoking and emotional threat is still beyond me - and its one you never ever forget.
At the time it was given to me we had no C.A.O. in place and it was a few months after the initial separation. It was not an off the cuff comment - it was deliberate, it was intended and it was repeated several times to reinforce it's seriousness.

It was at a handover and without any warning it became an angry one sided shouting match - to which the threat of relocation and what would have been abduction was made made as her parting shot - made all the worse as it was in a public place. I won't repeat the line given and repeated 3 times as it was said to me but I was left in doubt of her intended course of action if she 'did not get what she wants'.

I had my solicitor write to hers immediately notifying of the threat so it was recorded on file and like you Sam asking the child's passport be held by a third party and if not we would issue an urgent PSO to Court. It came back she denied making such a threat but after a couple of days the solicitor confirmed agreement that the passport would be handed over for safe keeping. The agreement was then withdrawn the following day as confirmed by her new Solicitor ( one of several Solicitors that followed !! ) who claimed her human rights were being denied !

To carry out what is abduction of a child removing them with intent to another country is a very extreme action and thankfully is quite rare. But my point was and still is that the news and media is full on a daily basis of people making
un rational spur of the moment decisions which have dire consequences. You read or hear of them and think why would someone do that with all the serious consequences that follow. People do make some very irrational decisions which they may later regret and wished they hadn't - but its a horrible situation to be presented with.
As a father with no C.A.O. in place at that time and the quantum of time ( a legal phrase we get to learn ) in favour of the mother she could be gone by 4 or 5 days before I realised, if she decided to do what she was threatening.
Her country of birth was at that time not signed up to the Hague Convention of Int. Child Abduction

With the passport now not being agreed to be held by a third party and with all the other unfounded allegations being made from her we decided to issue an urgent application for a P.S.O. for the passport together with a C.A.O. application. The day we filed it I received her own C.A.O. as made on the day after she issued her now denied threats.

At final hearing the issue to passports was heard first - she denied she ever made such a threat - it was all lies to make her look bad - she had a job here - child has just started school and she had no intension of doing what she stated. Her Barrister argued strongly that she had every right to holiday overseas and to travel to her home country to see her relatives - on the basis she had done so on many times within the period of marriage. By complete chance 3 days before the Final Hearing her country of birth did sign up to the Hague Convention.

In summing up on the P.S.O. issue the magistrates decided not to grant this or the passport being held by a 3rd party for the reason she had a job and the child had started school.... and the country in question would be able to give assistance if necessary ! They saw no reason why holidays could not be made by the Ex with our child outside of the U.K. They did state though that they believed she did make the threat but did not intend to carry it out. That's a very big judgement for them to make to make and one that certainly did not make me feel any easier.

It could be that this particular panel of Magistrates made their decision and on another day hearing the same evidence before a different panel of Magistrates or District Judge would have enforced the PSO and had the child's passport held by a 3rd party.
I wasn't asking for a no overseas travel order or only by written agreement just one to take away a very wrong spur of the moment decision against the threat as made to me.

All they stipulated was the standard overseas travel must being given in writing to the other no less than 30 days of travel with airline flight tickets and place of stay confirmations given to the other. But that doesn't stop someone from doing the unthinkable if they are intent on doing it. They would just purchase airline tickets and make a hotel reservation with no intension to use them.

My experience through 4 different cases is that outcomes are quite inconstant and it depends largely on the luck of who hears the case no matter how strong the evidence is.

Your case is different though Sam in that if it went to Court with her issuing a S.I.O. you can counter it with that you have had a PSO to the threat of abduction in place before and that will be certainly be on Court record.

Depending on who hears the case - a panel of Magistrates leaning heavily on legal advice and precedent from the Court Clerk or a District Judge who might take a stronger view on safety, it will come down to how much is in the balance of probability. That's the way of the Family Court unfortunately. Can you persuade them that the threat is still real and likely giving a ruling to deny the freedom to travel.

If she takes legal advice and is represented at a hearing with a Barrister I think unless there is a very strong and clear threat of abduction with evidence then they will press for it being very onerous not to allow a holiday with your child to a country such as Spain - even with the very real fears you have that it will just be a staging point out to Malaysia.
They will say a PSO was in place to prevent it before and nothing happened ( although if your child's passport is held by a Solicitor and they haven't travelled since then the PSO being issued then it's not been tested. )

I'm not convinced you would get a UK Court stipulating that a passport must be surrounded to Border Control of another country and returned on leaving on a return flight home. Even if administratively this could be done post Brexit your Ex would rightly claim a passport is often required at other times on holiday for all manner of identification such as checking into hotel or when using bank services.

If you don't agree to her request ( and I can understand why ) and she did apply to Court for a S.I.O. then if possible I would suggest finding a Barrister who has knowledge and previous experience of Child Abduction cases as they will be very persuasive in the way they would bring and lead your case. Any decent Chambers will be able to suggest Barristers they have with that experience.

It's a horrible situation to be in, and as I know, once said to you it's something that you never forget.

Excellent advice and post Km5. And people who make threats to hurt or blackmail you have to live with the consequences of making those threats. I have had the same in the past (although not to another country). I was bullied relentlessly over money and seeing my son (who was a baby at the time) with threats to move hundreds of miles away. I stood up to one threat (ie refused to break up with my partner!) and she actually did move - very quickly - but only 40 miles away. Yes it made my life very hard for a while - her intention no doubt. Ran my car into the ground and seriously affected my finances. Ironically after she married she moved back closer to my neck of the woods and I wished she hadn’t. That bit of distance did make things a bit easier in some ways (not bumping into each other or going to the same social things).

I was thinking about the passport thing though. I am also not sure what legal things could be put in place but I do know that passport control can keep someone’s passport when they arrive in a country and not give it back to them unless they are about to leave on the correct flight. And I think Spain in particular. It would probably need something in the passport or a letter to Spanish psssport control. It’s something worth asking about at court.

You could say

a). There is a risk of abduction as before and it has been threatened before which was why a PSO was in place until it expired
b) That risk is still there and Malaysia is outside The Hague conveniention
c) You are not averse to the Mother taking a holiday in Spain/Europe, providing the passport is held on arrival and not given back until she departs on the correct flight and is it possible for the court to make such an order for Spanish passport control.

Yes she can argue she needs her passport for various things but tough shit - there are ways round that. Sometimes it’s needed to book accommodation- that can be done before she leaves the U.K. sometimes it’s needed for ID but a certified copy would do as well - likewise for cashing travellers cheques - which isn’t necessary it she just uses a debit card instead!

On another note - Spain has the worst pick pocketing/robbery in the whole of Europe. Vast numbers of people lose their passport, bank cards and other small luggage items before they’ve even got out of the airport. It’s the crime capital and extremely professional. Police stations are heaving with holiday makers who have been robbed!

Not that that helps really!

Reactions: Km5
Back