Guest viewing is limited

Post any suggestions here

Ash

Administrator
Staff member
Admin and Moderator
If you have any suggestions for improving the forum, post them here. Eg additional categories in the main forum, or particular resources.

Some of the posts and topics today have been about asking for advice on coping. About lost hope. About stress, anxiety and depression. Do you think there's a place here exclusively for dealing with the huge strain the events most of us are dealing with puts on our mental health, specifically?

From my experience at work the term 'Mental Health' sometimes causes people to run a mile. Just the term. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's because of the way we Brits take perfectly normal words and give them a derogatory secondary meaning. Like we do with the word mental. I've suggested using the term 'Mind Health'. It's less derisive and sardonic. People seem to have warmed to it more and our Mind Health First Aider's have helped people get through the trauma of the pandemic.

Accepting that battling parental alienation beats the hell out of your soul in many cases and that there's only so much you can take before real damage is done. Raising awareness of the support that's out there for dad's dealing with parental alienation. Your GP first and foremost. Stress counselling and various other therapists.

Us blokes are notoriously bad at dealing with this. I know it's a complex area and we must tread carefully but after my own traumatic experience with an uncontrollable panic attack, I wish I'd of spoken to my GP sooner, before my cork well and truly popped.

It shouldn't be seen as weakness or embarrassing. Extreme stress from traumatic events can pull the rug from underneath the best of us. I'm a 6' 4" 16st former competitive strongman. Muscles and physical strength doesn't make a difference. Your mind can only take so much. It's time to break the taboo.

That's a good idea. To date peoples struggles have been dealt with individually in their own thread but rather than start a whole section on this, maybe you could start a thread on the topic under the Chat section? As a section topic for people to share and support. I know it's called Chill out and Chat but they are two separate things :) So it could be either. A thread that others can add to. But I'll think on a whole new section topic as an option as well and ask the other moderators what they think.

My suggestion is similar to Kyle's.

We have "Child arrangements, court applications, problems", I think it might be good to have "Allegations, evidence, recovery". Regardless of the title, you might think of a better one, it feels like one place to find threads on how to deal with being dragged through the mud would be useful. Especially for people just at the start of the process. This would provide a hub for stuff about non-mols, testing, fact finding, police and medical records, strategy to get back to talking about child arrangements, how to gather and challenge evidence. I do not think it should be false allegations in the title because often there is a grain of truth in even the most ridiculous claims. Even if the allegation is true, people deserve a chance to make good.

The "Child Arrangements, court applications, problems" is the main section people usually post on when joining as usually seeking support in these areas. So it's supposed to encompass everything under "problems". Individual subject headings can be about non mols or testing etc if relevant and people can start new threads on specific aspects of their case. We went with that because it's what used to be the main category on an older forum but I'll have a think about the category headings :) .

Thanks for thinking about the idea. For me, allegations are as big and distinct as CAFCASS, PA and New Partners. I get the risk of snowballing into too many though.

Just had a thought, maybe threads in Child Arrangements... could be tagged. That way people could filter to get stuff they need. 🤔🙂

Good idea - I'll look into that. Are you having problems finding threads? They go in date order, oldest last, apart from the stickied ones, so yes a good idea to tag them into groups on certain subjects - although that could be time consuming reading through them all! The way it used to work mainly was a thread was for that person with various issues they were having a long the way, each individual, but there will be some common situations. That's partly why the home page has the general articles though.

Not having trouble finding the ones I've been active in at all. More about drawing on stuff that was discussed before I became a member. Reading advice given previously and seeing how similar situations have developed for other people. I think allegations are such a big part of what we have to deal with, and there is obviously a method to how they are used. They are often the biggest hurdle to get over.

It would be time consuming to go back over everything. Maybe that could be a shared task, just as people happen to read stuff. Tagging new stuff as it appears would not take much effort. As stuff gets catalogued, members could have relevant threads with a tap rather than a trawl.

@Ash , is there a sticky or a thread somewhere on parenting apps?

Was just thinking it would be good to have feedback on what people have used that worked well in certain situations and what looked good as feature but was useless in practice.

most of the apps are close to £100 and some even charge both parents!!

maybe a section for product recommendations, not that the forum needs to be like netmums though!!

TalkingParents is an app that is free if you use the desktop version instead of the app version

I was also looking at:

- 2Houses
- Our Family Wizard

The first one only needs one subscription, the second though has a tone filter which automatically adjusts your messaging if it isn't appropriate which might be good for coparents who struggle with each other.

@Ash , is there a sticky or a thread somewhere on parenting apps?

Was just thinking it would be good to have feedback on what people have used that worked well in certain situations and what looked good as feature but was useless in practice.

most of the apps are close to £100 and some even charge both parents!!

maybe a section for product recommendations, not that the forum needs to be like netmums though!!
There isn't. I have only been aware of Our Family Wizard up until now (which is sometimes court ordered) but am aware there are quite a few others now and it's a good idea because if people are using different ones or have had different ones court ordered - they can give feedback. I'll start a thread on it.

Back