Guest viewing is limited

police reports, body cams etc

Concerned-Dad

So Ive been trying to get police reports of an incident that will help my case and I told them I wanted "all documents relating to my case"

They're telling me I need to be more specific of what documents I require. They're saying I have to be more specific rather than requesting "ALL Documents". Theyre saying " for example Incident reports, crime reports, witness statements etc"

What should I be asking for? I dont see why they cant just tell me what statements they made for the specific incident.

The incident was my ex going missing drunk and the police came round looking for he. She then turned up drunk at 1am with the baby in the moses basket. Police were there and saw her come in the door with him in the moses basket. Shed been out in a car with no car seat carrying him on her lap.

Basically I want to know sort of reports they will hold on that incident so I can ask for them as they arent telling me what they hold so I cant ask them.

It is good to specify terms, CHS or CAD reference would be useful, names of parties, address of incident, it would also be good to give a date range. If the request is really broad they can get around, or massively dalay, complying by saying it is an unreasonable/impracticable request.

They should provide you with all documents containing any of your terms and within the date range.

Thanks Resolute

Ive given them the date and the address and the names. Also the approximate time (within an hour). I don't actually have the reference as wasn't given one.

"
They're asking for what specific documents. Surely they would just look up the date and see all the documents that are there? How am I supposed to know exactly what these documents are called?

Are they incident reports? There were two officers there. Do I ask for incident reports from them both? Do they even both write one. Or are they crime reports. No actual crime was committed other than her taking the baby off in a car without a car seat but they didnt seem to care about that so Im guessing it wouldnt be a crime report? Or what about witness statements? Would the police talking to her and her daughter be a witness statement or would it be called something else as its not an actual statement?

Its all a bit confusing. I just want them to give me all documents for that date and incident but they want me to specifically name what it is I'm looking for.

=====

Hi CD,

I have quite a bit of experience in getting through this minefield, both as a subject and as a data controller. Here is a useful guide:

If you have already followed everything in the guide, please feel free to pm me an anonymised version of the request and I will try to make suggestions on how to tighten it up.

Great advice from Resolute :-) All I was going to say was - do it in writing. Keep it polite and formal, list what you are seeking - ie list the dates and locations of the incidents and the people involved. Ask for anything that is on record, all incident reports, crime reports and witness statements and details of anything that was logged (ie use the terms they mentioned).

They do sound like they're being a bit obstructive. I once called the Police to ask for records of something and they just looked and said there are no records - I had to give the date and names of the incident. This was good news! My ex had reported me to the police hoping it would go on record.

Be very polite and explain that you need evidence of various incidents involving your child, for a court case to protect the child.

They do seem to be very obstructive. I'm going to start my request fresh, will post an update hopefully with some good news

Reactions: Ash
Back