Guest viewing is limited

Police bail extended without an end date

Lester

As per the title, the Police extended my bail last week but have not given me or my solicitor any indication when it is due to end/for how long. How can this be? I know why they extended the bail, my ex gave the Police 'evidence' (which i am 99% sure is fabricated) at the last minute. Im just confused as to why the Police haven't told me for how long. Is this because of their incompetence or could there be other legitimate reasons? Anybody else been in this situation before? What happened?

I was released on bail for a long time, I think 3 months then another six months. The second bit was open-ended. It was unconditional bail for a low level offence. Eventually they called me in and said there was no evidence at a meeting with a senior officer. This was more than 10 years ago.

I'm sure a bit of googling will show what they are allowed to do. If you are Released Under Investigation that can be as long as they like.

Hi buddy,

I think most of us on here have been in your situation. I was on bail for 3 months and it got extended for another 3 months as they passed my case to the CPS. My case got NFA’d a couple of weeks after my bail was extended due to a lack of evidence. All DA allegations.

Unfortunately, I think they can keep extending it. Hopefully it won’t be much longer and it will be dropped. Have you got a family court case coming up?

This may have been coincidental, but I said to the police after my bail had been extended that I needed my phone back as it contained evidence for my upcoming family court case. Not long after that I got my NFA.

Apparently my ex went back to the police to give them more ‘evidence’ but they still took it no further. Stay strong 💪

Yeah final family court coming up soon. Part of my cynical overthinking mind is that the police will wait until Cafcas confirm there's no safeguarding issue so they can arrest her for wasting Police time, therefore I can look after the kids, as im certain the evidence she has submitted she has doctored.

You have literally no chance of the police arresting her. It simply won’t be done, they will never risk telling people they can’t come forward.
Especially with the steer on VAWG.

Appreciate it, but I don’t get it. She can submit evidence which she knows is dance and because she’s female and alleged DV she becomes immune from certain laws? Doesn’t set a good precedence or example

As the others say - you just don't know how long - which I know is no help. You could try what JC83 did maybe a month before the hearing, if you're still on bail. Do they have your phone? It's just an incredibly slow process sometimes. But no they won't arrest her for wasting police time - everyone thinks that is what should happen but unfortunately it doesn't.

It is sadly a very long process. I have been through it and every month they would keep extending the bail. I actually think they were doing nothing and just dragging it out. It finally got passed to the CPS. This can also take a very long time.

The main thing is to hang in there. It's annoying and you shouldn't have to be going through this but sadly it is the only option.
Make sure you don't break any of the bail conditions and you will be fine.
If there is anything that is causing problems regarding child arrangements due to the bail, log it with the police. Atleast then it will hopefully be on record.

Back