Guest viewing is limited

Passport

John_J

Hi All

Apologies if this is not where I should be posting this, however, I could do with some advice and this could be adjacent to a breach.

My ex has applied for our daughter's passport without my sign-off. Unsure if she needed it, but I do have parental responsibility and the court order states she lives with me and her.

Now that she has a passport for our daughter, I have asked for a photo so I can start looking at holidays to take my daughter on.

I have asked numerous times over email over the last few weeks. All emails have been ignored.

What is my recourse from here? what are my next best steps?

Regards,

Hi. So your ex has sent for the passport for your daughter and has it in her possession. Is there anything in your court order about passports? There's usually a line that says parent A will hold the passport but release it to parent B within 21 days of any booked holiday. Not quite sure what you mean about asking for a photo?

Hi. So your ex has sent for the passport for your daughter and has it in her possession. Is there anything in your court order about passports? There's usually a line that says parent A will hold the passport but release it to parent B within 21 days of any booked holiday. Not quite sure what you mean about asking for a photo?
Hi Court order says similar to that. We take turns holding it based on who wants to go on holiday.

I want a photo of it so when I book on for a holiday I have my daughters passport number on hand.

Well, make things easier by just asking for the passport number so you can make the booking? You don't need a photo do you and you can always take one when its in your possession (which you have a court order for)

Hi Court order says similar to that. We take turns holding it based on who wants to go on holiday.

I want a photo of it so when I book on for a holiday I have my daughters passport number on hand.
Good that that's in the order. Tricky if she won't reply to emails. Did you ask nicely? ;)

She clearly isn't supportive of you booking holidays in advance. I would be careful how many you send because she could accuse you of harrassment. One tip I had once was if someone doesn't reply, you write to them saying you take no reply as a yes (although that wouldn't work in this situation when you want something handed over).

I don't usually go abroad for holidays so don't know much about this, but do you definitely need a passport number to book a holiday? If you definitely do and she refuses to communicate or provide it then you'd need to apply for a specific issues order - over the specific issue of having the passport number released to you. Seems a bit ridiculous. And it wouldn't be an urgent application unless you actually had a holiday coming up in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

How about sending a solicitors letter (not a heavy one, but a gently worded one) - might have more impact. Something along the lines of.

"We note that the Child Arrangements order dated x date, under clause y, states that both parents may hold the passport depending on which of them has a holiday booked. On behalf of our client, we ask that you forward us a photocopy of the child's passport, showing the passport number, or alternatively, give the passport to the Father so he may photocopy it and return it to you."

Might be worth it as a one off as she might just do it then if she thinks you might go to court over it.

I think a photocopy of the main page would be best. Because that shows the photo, name and number and date of birth - to show it's the actual correct number! You would be in a mess booking with a passport number if it turned out to be incorrect.

Next time you have the actual passport in your hands, take it to a local solicitor and get a few certified copies done. Only costs about £5 and front reception can do it. I've need those for various things (opening savings and bank accounts, proof of identity) when haven't had the passport in my possession. A certified copy is accepted whereas a standard photocopy isn't (just means the solicitor stamps and signs the photocopy).

That is a good point I suppose, but would she be that malicious? Presumably you are saying to your child we are going on holiday, their mum would not want to be the one to blame for that going wrong?

Mine would! Hence I have become alert to such things. His maybe wouldn't.

Well, make things easier by just asking for the passport number so you can make the booking? You don't need a photo do you and you can always take one when its in your possession (which you have a court order for)
Maybe I am being skeptical, but a passport number typed can always be typed incorrectly. By accident,

However, a photo of it can be much clearer.

No you are right, there is no harm in getting that, I was just trying to head off her problems!

If you can get a solicitor letter, do, it is in the order, she has to comply

I think a photocopy of the main page would be best. Because that shows the photo, name and number and date of birth - to show it's the actual correct number! You would be in a mess booking with a passport number if it turned out to be incorrect.

Next time you have the actual passport in your hands, take it to a local solicitor and get a few certified copies done. Only costs about £5 and front reception can do it. I've need those for various things (opening savings and bank accounts, proof of identity) when haven't had the passport in my possession. A certified copy is accepted whereas a standard photocopy isn't (just means the solicitor stamps and signs the photocopy).
We only hand over the passport when going on holiday, and from when I have booked holidays in the past, companies ask for passport numbers. Maybe it is different when it's a kid, but will need to double-check.

Bit of a catch 22.

Just send a solicitors letter asking her to send a photocopy of the passport. I would. It can be very politely worded so it doesn't get her back up. Like Mr J is a bit concerned he hasn't been able to have communication with you regarding child's passport. As he needs the passport number to book a holiday, we would be very grateful if you could send a photocopy of the passport, to pass to our client.

Think you need more than that as you just know your ex will refuse to hand over the passport so you waste your time and money on a holiday the kid cannot go on. Its a control thing and the alienators love control.
I went to court and my ex was ordered to hand over the passport to her solicitor by end of the day, she didn't of course, and of course the family court did jack all about it.
I ended up applying for a new one, daughter was now in my care, new passport arrived no issues.
Day of holiday and ex calls police reporting stolen passport, risk of obduction bla, bla, bla. Police and border agency had already been briefed and told her to do one.

Your Ex is possibly one of the worst Scotay! I hope John J's isn't that bad. Main thing is, if she won't hand over the passport 14 days before your holiday then apply for an urgent specific issues order and have the order amended that you keep the passport. If she still doesn't hand it over by the day before you apply for an urgent same day hearing and the court orders the police to go and retrieve it. And they will then order that you keep the passport permanently and only release it when she goes on holiday. If she doesn't return it after that, she's in breach of the order - and then yoiu apply for sole residency (which is a deterrant so hopefully she would just give the passport back).

Back