Guest viewing is limited

Opening Savings account for child without parental responsibility

Rhod39

Hi everyone, first post here.
Basically I want to open some kind of savings account for my 4 month old son for when he’s 18. I’m not on the birth certificate and don’t have parental responsibility… yet but that’s another story. Is there anything out there? What would people suggest?

The only thing I can offer by way of experience with this, is opening a savings account as a non resident parent. There were various schemes such as child trust funds (they stopped those) and possible child ISA's that I think were only available to a resident parent. I tried opening a child savings account with a building society (they needed all sorts of ID for the child - copy of birth certificate and passport etc) but gave up trying to get that one - can't remember why. In the end it was Barclays bank that allowed any adult to set up a savings account for a child. It was basically shown up on my own online banking as a child savings account so although it was in my names it was designated as a child savings account for xxxxxx child. That wasn't the best interest of course but it was something, and it did grow over the years putting £10 a month in.

Halifax has this one with 3.5% interest - for an adult to open for a child. It just says if you aren't a parent or guardian you need a parent's permission. It doesn't say anything about parental responsibility though. However, if you're not on the child's birth certificate, it could be difficult to prove you're a parent.

One option could be to get a one off solicitor's letter "to whom it may concern" stating that you are the parent of xxxxxxx despite not being on the child's birth certificate.

Halifax kids saver account

My question is - have you tried to get a parental responsibility order? That might make things easier!

The only thing I can offer by way of experience with this, is opening a savings account as a non resident parent. There were various schemes such as child trust funds (they stopped those) and possible child ISA's that I think were only available to a resident parent. I tried opening a child savings account with a building society (they needed all sorts of ID for the child - copy of birth certificate and passport etc) but gave up trying to get that one - can't remember why. In the end it was Barclays bank that allowed any adult to set up a savings account for a child. It was basically shown up on my own online banking as a child savings account so although it was in my names it was designated as a child savings account for xxxxxx child. That wasn't the best interest of course but it was something, and it did grow over the years putting £10 a month in.

Halifax has this one with 3.5% interest - for an adult to open for a child. It just says if you aren't a parent or guardian you need a parent's permission. It doesn't say anything about parental responsibility though. However, if you're not on the child's birth certificate, it could be difficult to prove you're a parent.

One option could be to get a one off solicitor's letter "to whom it may concern" stating that you are the parent of xxxxxxx despite not being on the child's birth certificate.

Halifax kids saver account

My question is - have you tried to get a parental responsibility order? That might make things easier!
Thanks for the info… re PR order, yes I’m going through the horrendous court process at the moment to get PR and access. Basically the mother is being extremely awkward over everything including maintenance, which I’ve now stopped paying… another long story. So I thought I’d put it aside for my son instead. Tbh I’ll probably just put it in something in my name until I get PR and can open something in his name then transfer it.

It might not be a good idea to stop CM. Legally, you're obliged to pay at the assessed rate. If you don't pay, she can get the CMS to chase you up and send you a bill. It might come across as retaliation and not do your case any favours. Although finances are separate from Child Arrangements, it always sounds good, when asking for PR, if you can say you paid CM without fail and on time. One thing the court looks at, when deciding on PR, is how committed you've been.

yes, backstory… my solicitor said exactly the same thing so I used the online calculator to calculate it and started paying. Next thing I know I’ve got the police on the phone threatening to arrest me for harassment. She told them she wants it done officially. Fine, I stopped paying and opened a case with CMS. Started paying through them. Then she updated the bank details to one’s that don’t exist so I carried on paying into the old account. A month later she closes that account and payments sent back. Told CMS and they’ve tried to get bank details from her to no avail. In the meantime her domestic abuse advisor has called it controlling and coercive behaviour that I’ve been paying it and they’ve told the court as such. So my solicitor basically said fuck her. She doesn’t want it don’t give it her. I’ve closed the case with CMS and told them why and screenshot everything. So now I’d rather put that money aside for him when he’s older or until she opens her own case… crazy eh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ash
Back