Guest viewing is limited

My advice to the fathers out there..

miami18

If you’re on this forum, it’s likely because you’re in a tough situation and you’re a good enough parent to want to do something about it. Keep your head up, that’s the first piece of advice.

I can only give advice from my situation, which is far from over. But things are looking good so far and it’s been excruciatingly difficult and tiresome to keep it that way.

1. Never overreact, no matter how much you’re provoked. Keep a cool head always, and manage your stress levels

2. Seek legal advice if you can afford it. There are angles you may have missed, so consult a professional.

3. Don’t wait. File your c100, get the ball rolling as soon as you can. The longer you leave things, the worse they get. These things take time from start to finish, and you don’t want a bad status quo to be kept for any longer than it has to be.

4. ALWAYS record calls/screenshot conversations with the other party. You never know what evidence you might need, and you’d rather have it than not later down the line.

5. Be WELL prepared for any meetings with CAFCASS. Know your angles, points, etc. Write everything down and memorise it, but always remember to link every point back to what’s best for the child/children. Also remember to be as polite as you can, you need them on your side as much as possible.

6. Be honest. Don’t try and keep things from the court/CAFCASS. They will always find out, so I’ve heard from others.

7. Have a plan. What is the next hurdle, and the next one after that? Do your research, sift through the forums, read about other people’s experiences etc.

You’ve got this!

Some sound advice, Thankyou.
I've been in this situation and will admit it is very easy to panic when our whole world is crumbling around us. I know I certainly did.
I would add the following advice that I have learned over this past year:

- Don't rush to reply to solicitors. They will send letters to make you panic and worry. Take a break. Re-read it and answer a few hours later.

- The times I've replied or instructed my solicitor to do something and then realised I forgot to say something.
Solicitors cost money and will charge you for everything. You can easily become bankrupt.
I am fairly confident that some solicitors will use the fact you are worried and scared to get you to spend money.
you don't have to reply to everything. Think it through before instructing your solicitor.

- If your children say something to you that the ex has said to them, remain calm. Yes, you may want to put the story straight and be annoyed but believe me it will get back to your ex and she will use it against you. Remain calm and reassure your children that these are adult matters and that they don't need to worry about it, reassure them you are there for them always.

- Don't be afraid to post on these forums as we are all here to help each other.

Last edited:
1. Never overreact, no matter how much you’re provoked. Keep a cool head always, and manage your stress levels

I’m glad you put that as number 1, because it’s the most important one. Do not give anyone ammunition to use against you, in particular if there are allegations of DA. Because you are simply proving them right.

I would also include the need to be positive, if there are no concerns parenting wise, be positive about the ex. No matter how much of your soul it costs you. Not only are you showing maturity, but your also showing the kids and their welfare are above any bad feeling.
The courts will like this.

Reactions: Ash
I'd go one further and just say "never react".
agreed, it took everything I had when my ex turned up with her new partner (4 weeks after our separation) to the FHDRA.

But I simply refuse to give her what she was looking for.

Back