Guest viewing is limited

Mum’s partner accused on sexual activity with a minor

Gibblay1

My son resides with his mother and her partner. His mum and I are separated and I now reside in a different county 3 hours away.

I was informed on Saturday (2nd July), during my regular fortnightly visit, that his Mum’s partner had been accused of some form of sexual activity with a minor.

I took my son to the police station (Ref:204) and explained what I’d been told and expressed my concerns around him returning home whilst his Mum’s boyfriend was still in the house (she had kicked him out but allowed him to return).

The police called the duty social services line and advised that I should speak to his mum and explain that I wouldn’t be taking him back. I did that and he returned home with me. He is now in my care and completely safe from any threat that may have existed within the home where he resided with his mother.

He has expressed his desire to stay with me indefinitely. However, his mother is calling and texting multiple times a day trying to coerce him back to her home. Having to experience this salvo of calls and messages from her is causing him further distress.

I have spoken to social services myself since the incident. Basically, he’s classed as safe with me…it’s up to me where he resides. Only way mum could change it is through the court, likewise if I want to ensure it’s concrete, again through the court.

I’m seeking guidance on the best course of action to take at this point. I can’t risk sending him back and in any event he doesn’t want to go he wants to stay with me. He obviously has a school he attends and I need to get him into a school local to me as soon as possible. Moreover, since the original accusation was made against his mums partner, it has come to light that this wasn’t the first instance of its kind and that he has been caught in communication, using dialog of a sexual nature, with other minors in the past.

My greatest concern is that I let her see him and she doesn’t bring him back, do I need the the courts protection? If so, how do I go about it?

Hi.

Given what you've explained it seems the onus is on your ex to sort things out. Why is she still with this guy? It seems your son needs to stay with you until the allegations are fully investigated.

Can Mom come on her own to you and see your son. But make it clear its only a visit.

Even just a visit worries me, I’ve just got this feeling that she would flee with him, out of sheer desperation. Not sure why they’re still together, I think perhaps she’s in denial. I just feel like I need to cement the situation, legally.

Yes without a court order or similar then as long as the child is happy the authorities won't usually get involved. Especially in this case where you have good reason to keep hold of your son.

It is tricky as you don't want to be seen to be alienating so keep the contact going via messages etc as long as reasonable.

If you are worried she'll try and grab him then probably best to keep away. Be mindful she may well be getting advice herself and may try to get him back via the legal route. As you say get some advice on this so you're ready for what may come

How old is your son?

If he is "gillick competent" (usually 12 or 13), his wishes are likely to be the important consideration for a court.

It might be a good idea to keep a record of her repeated calls. If they are causing your son distress, it would be good to have agreement on regular video calls instead. The court expects parents to facilitate meaningful time with the other parent by whatever means are appropriate. Details on how to get "protection" from the court will depend on your son's age to a degree. I'd think about you, or your son, letting her know that the calls and texts are upsetting him - I'm not sure if these are to your phone or his.

Two points to consider:

1) A child's wishes and feelings are ever-changing, it might be wise to act while your son's view on this is clear

2) It would be very easy for mum to remove the risk and apply to court for your son to be returned to her. Especially if son is 9 or younger.

Wait and see what others say about the legal side. Only thought from me is that it might be valuable to have permission from the court to change school.

Yes without a court order or similar then as long as the child is happy the authorities won't usually get involved. Especially in this case where you have good reason to keep hold of your son.

It is tricky as you don't want to be seen to be alienating so keep the contact going via messages etc as long as reasonable.

If you are worried she'll try and grab him then probably best to keep away. Be mindful she may well be getting advice herself and may try to get him back via the legal route. As you say get some advice on this so you're ready for what may come
I’ve not limited contact in any way…my son is recoiling away from the conversations and is ignoring calls and message and being evasive when they do speak because he doesn’t want to field the 20 times a day he’s asked “when are you coming home?” I think I’m going to get some advice, I just can’t risk being in a position whereby I let her take him out etc and she she never comes back…

How old is your son?

If he is "gillick competent" (usually 12 or 13), his wishes are likely to be the important consideration for a court.

It might be a good idea to keep a record of her repeated calls. If they are causing your son distress, it would be good to have agreement on regular video calls instead. The court expects parents to facilitate meaningful time with the other parent by whatever means are appropriate. Details on how to get "protection" from the court will depend on your son's age to a degree. I'd think about you, or your son, letting her know that the calls and texts are upsetting him - I'm not sure if these are to your phone or his.

Two points to consider:

1) A child's wishes and feelings are ever-changing, it might be wise to act while your son's view on this is clear

2) It would be very easy for mum to remove the risk and apply to court for your son to be returned to her. Especially if son is 9 or younger.

Wait and see what others say about the legal side. Only thought from me is that it might be valuable to have permission from the court to change school.
Thank you…he’s 12 years old, the calls are to his phone. His mum’s father has started texting me saying it’s been a week and they’ve had limited access. I’ve respond stating that I have never told my son not to speak to or message anyone. I think I’ve definitely got to get some legal advice.

Back