Guest viewing is limited

money well spent , when it needs to be spent.

NewcastleBrownAle

Experienced member
HI All, CAO and PRO applied for - big question - do I really need a solicitor for the very first hearing. From what I can gather its a basic - have you agreed (no), have you tried to agree ( yes), can you further try to agree ( no), then a chat with the judge, cafcass etc, then set a date for the next hearing.. ho hum. Am I wrong ? do I really need a professional at this first hearing ? or can I save my money and bring the artillery in, later down the line ?

Thoughts ?

In my view

You definitely do not need a solicitor at this stage. You could get to the end without a solicitor.

A barrister may well be necessary. I didn't know I needed one until it was too late. If you can afford a barrister at every hearing, the rest can be worked out. You could easily spend more on a solicitor between hearings than it would cost to have a barrister advocate for you at three.

my plan is to self rep at first one - solicitor for second, mine will go to fact finding, due the myriad of false allegations including domestic violence (not true) , and so I can't cross examine, so barrister , to knock the ex into touch - if they any good, then barrister for the final. I'll do the donkey work and litigations and maybe get a solicitor to prep the bundle.

looking back on the NMO last week, I agreed a cross undertaking, as the ex's solicitor was very quick to ask for it with the judge,, In hindsight, I should have said, that a bit premature, and asked the judge to dismiss the NMO based on the overwhelming evidence I had that the allegations were false. My bad.

also, the ex is reporting about the case on social media. She so loves to play the victim.

Her reporting the case is a big no no . The judge will look very badly on it.

However even if you think you have the case wrapped up down the line . I would still have a barrister for first hearing you don’t want a fact find if it can be avoided and a barrister will represent you better.

Her reporting the case is a big no no . The judge will look very badly on it.

However even if you think you have the case wrapped up down the line . I would still have a barrister for first hearing you don’t want a fact find if it can be avoided and a barrister will represent you better.
I think a fact find is inevitable, in my case. she has thrown lots of allegations, including suspecting me of planning abduction, sexual assault, all sorts of shit, all untrue, but she plays the victim , sobs, emotional support worker in tow, and god knows what she been saying to social services, who don't talk to me , so it all goes unchallenged. I'm resigned to a fact finding taking place.

That’s why I think you need a barrister. A fact finding with the pre and post hearing can go on for ages. Mine took over two years. You need “contact” reinstated even if it’s supervised at a contact centre. The judge at this hearing can simply decide indirect or no contact. If you have representation at least they can argue your corner for contact to start asap and even get split cost for this.

It’s a hollow victory if you eventually win a fact find and get a CAO if you haven’t seen the kids for ages and they have moved on emotionally.

I had 7 months without seeing my sons and they had got used to the new norm.

That’s why I think you need a barrister. A fact finding with the pre and post hearing can go on for ages. Mine took over two years. You need “contact” reinstated even if it’s supervised at a contact centre. The judge at this hearing can simply decide indirect or no contact. If you have representation at least they can argue your corner for contact to start asap and even get split cost for this.

It’s a hollow victory if you eventually win a fact find and get a CAO if you haven’t seen the kids for ages and they have moved on emotionally.

I had 7 months without seeing my sons and they had got used to the new norm.
I do worry that is going to happen, and she is systematically turning him against me already, has been for weeks. I hope you have managed to make progress to rebuild your relationship with your sons.

Wait and see what the Cafcass letter says - but it sounds like you have a good idea of what your ex will say. Cafcass might recommend a fact find, but it doesn't mean the Judge will order one. It may go to a first hearing first, while the Judge decides if a fact find is necessary. If Cafcass do recommend a fact find then I'd say it was really important to have a barrister at the first hearing - to persuade the Judge a fact find isn't necessary.

I do worry that is going to happen, and she is systematically turning him against me already, has been for weeks. I hope you have managed to make progress to rebuild your relationship with your sons.
Thank you the relationship isn’t the same on any level. But key thing is I still have a relationship with them. Good luck getting a barrister. It’s the right call mate

I'd wait until you get the Cafcass letter, but I'm sure we can find some. Google Barristers Ipswich, look at the various chambers, check out the family barristers and read their bios - see if they are specifically Childrens law barristers (not doing a bit of all sorts), and if they have won any cases for Dads. Some Chambers have more detailed bios than others. If they're listed as in the Legal 500 they have a benchmark/reputation that helps. The more junior they are, the less expensive they are, but I wouldn't go too junior.

Back