Guest viewing is limited

Journey of Self - Topic#4 - The Art of Focus

MagicJ

Experienced member
"Focus on the Gaps, not the Trees"

Have you ever heard of the skier's advice: "Focus on the gaps, not the trees"? It means that when you are skiing down a slope with trees, you should pay attention to the spaces between the trees, not the trees themselves. If you focus on the trees, you are more likely to hit them. But if you focus on the gaps, you are more likely to ski through them.

This advice can also apply to life in general. When we face difficult situations or challenges, we often tend to focus on the negative aspects or the potential obstacles. We worry about what might go wrong, what might stop us, or what might hurt us. This is called catastrophizing, and it can have harmful effects on our mental and physical health. Catastrophizing can increase our stress, anxiety, depression, and pain. It can also impair our performance, motivation, and decision-making.

But what if we focus on the positive aspects or the potential outcomes instead? What if we imagine what might go right, what might help us, or what might make us happy? This is called focusing on the positive outcome goals, and it can have beneficial effects on our well-being. Focusing on the positive outcome goals can boost our optimism, confidence, resilience, and happiness. It can also enhance our creativity, productivity, and problem-solving.

Of course, focusing on the positive outcome goals is not easy, especially when we are going through difficult personal situations. Sometimes, we may feel overwhelmed, hopeless, or stuck. We may need to deal with our emotions first, before we can shift our focus. We may need to acknowledge our feelings, express them, and seek support from others. We may need to practice self-care, self-compassion, and mindfulness. We may need to cope with the situation, before we can change it.

But once we have dealt with our emotions
, we can take the next step on our journey. We can start to focus on the gaps, not the trees. We can start to focus on the positive outcome goals, not the negative obstacles. We can start to focus on what we want, not on what might stop us.

How can we shift our focus from the negative to the positive? Here are some tips:

- Identify your negative thoughts and challenge them. Ask yourself: Is this thought realistic, helpful, or accurate? What evidence do I have to support or refute this thought? How would I advise a friend who had this thought?
- Replace your negative thoughts with positive ones. Use affirmations, gratitude, or positive self-talk to counteract the negative thoughts. For example, instead of thinking "I can't do this", think "I can do this, I have done it before, and I will do it again".
- Visualize your positive outcome goals. Imagine yourself achieving your goals, feeling proud, and celebrating your success. Use vivid details, emotions, and senses to make your visualization more realistic and powerful.
- Take action towards your positive outcome goals. Break down your goals into small, manageable steps and track your progress. Reward yourself for each step you complete and celebrate your achievements. Seek support from others who can help you, encourage you, or inspire you.

Focusing on the positive outcome goals does not mean ignoring the reality or denying the challenges. It means acknowledging the difficulties, but choosing to see the opportunities and possibilities. It means being proactive, not reactive. It means being hopeful, not fearful.

Ski the gaps, not the trees. Focus on what you want, not on what might stop you!

MJ

Back