Guest viewing is limited

Is there anything I can do to stand up for myself and fight back?

Karma Police

A bit about my backstory: I was arrested on suspicion of rape, and after six months of investigation—including phone scrutiny, interviews, and more—there was no case to answer, and no further action was taken. Initially, I wasn't allowed to see my children until a Section 7 report was completed. To keep it short, after ten supervised fortnightly sessions with my kids (aged 12 and 15) and receiving a glowing Section 7 report, I was finally able to see them unsupervised, whenever they wanted.

After my arrest, the police took me to the family home, where my ex handed over two bags of clothes. They then dropped me off at my mother’s house, where I have been living ever since.

My ex made allegations of domestic abuse, but her applications for both a non-molestation order and an occupation order were dismissed by the judge in the Final Order.

I bought my house in 2003, met my ex in 2007, and we moved in together in 2009. We had two children, but after she had an affair, our marriage started to break down. In 2023, we agreed to separate, but she escalated the situation by making the rape allegation, effectively “kicking me out.”

The mortgage is in my name only, although she has registered matrimonial rights on the property. I still pay the mortgage, buildings and contents insurance, and child maintenance (CMS). I’ve managed to extend the mortgage term from 3 years remaining to a new 23-year term, which has reduced the monthly payments significantly—something my ex is not yet aware of but will be when we complete our financial disclosure.

My ex recently finished her studies as a mature student, completing both a degree and a postgraduate course. She’s working part-time and has stated in a recent FDR application that she’s “looking for permanent work” and can’t afford to move out or contribute to the mortgage. She wants me to continue covering the payments until she can afford to do so. Her priority, as she claims, is ensuring a home for herself and the children.

We don’t communicate directly. The court suggested using a communication app, but I deleted it after a few days because I felt she was becoming passive-aggressive. Now, we communicate through our children. While not ideal, it works considering everything she put me through.

In terms of shared care: My eldest sees me about once a week, including holidays, so I don’t expect any reduction in child maintenance. However, my youngest stays overnight every weekend and sometimes up to three nights a week. Recently, we’ve been discussing the possibility of her moving in with me, or at least spending 175 nights a year at mine, which would reduce child maintenance by 50%, according to the CMS website.

I have a modest job and stable income, but I don’t have much disposable income. I bought the family home before meeting my ex, and I’ve always paid the mortgage on my own. My ex is currently living rent-free and recently completed higher education, but despite being highly qualified, her age (mid to late 40s) may limit her job prospects. That said, she should be able to find an average-paying job before long.

Ideally, I would like to sell the house and split the proceeds 50/50. She could move to a smaller house, further out of town, but she won’t be able to get a mortgage or has any savings, so I don’t think that’s a realistic outcome. If I didn’t have my mother’s home to move into, I wouldn’t be able to afford CMS, the mortgage on the family home, and rent for myself. Most people wouldn’t be able to manage this. The alternative would be missed mortgage payments and the house being repossessed—a nightmare I’ve managed to avoid thanks to my mother’s support. I really feel for other dads without this safety net.

Does anyone here have advice on what I can do to improve my situation? A friend recently warned me that I’d be lucky to get 50/50, and that my ex likely won’t rush to sell the house until the kids go to university. She’s in a good position right now. If my youngest daughter spends more time with me, perhaps I could go to court and get legal custody. If my ex only has one child in her care, could I argue that she doesn’t need a three-bedroom house? I’m just thinking out loud, trying to figure out if there’s anything I can do to stand up for myself and fight back.

I can't help in relation to finances/house.
I'm sorry you're going through this textbook situation.

But as your children are now 12 and 15 it may be too late to apply to court. By the time it gets to a hearing the 12 year old could be 13. The courts don't really bother once kids are teens.

Would you eldest want to live with you?
Does your youngest want to live with you? Once she's 13/14 no court or adult in the land can stop her. She'd be deemed old enough to make up her own mind.

In terms of cms. You have about 6 years left of that unless your youngest carries on a college level course past 18. Can you grin and bear 6 more years of cms?

It's unfortunate and infuriating that dad's may start off with a house and savings/assets, then get screwed over and lose it.

I highly recommend dealing with the exs passive aggressive messages and keep your children out of being messengers.
It's not their fault their parents are separated so try and keep them out of it.

Thank you for your reply, Peanut.

My eldest is in her final year of secondary school, so I don’t want to disrupt her living arrangements. Frankly, I think she'd just like to come over and stay at mine for sleepovers some weekends.

My youngest is keen to move in with me, but she's also worried about upsetting her mother. I can see she’s trying to figure out how to do it and what to say. I might suggest she stay with me for two weeks straight and then spend a week at her mother’s.

I’ve never been unwilling to pay CMS, but I do wish it were used solely to support our children, rather than other things. However, I know there's no way to ensure that. If I have to continue paying for another six years, then so be it—it is what it is.

That said, this leaves me in limbo regarding the marital home. I won’t be able to sell the house or access my share of the funds for at least another six years. This is the biggest issue for me. While I’m fortunate to have the safety net of my mother’s house to live in, I can’t truly move on until I can access the proceeds from the sale of the marital home.

I assume this is a common theme on this forum—dads with kids being stuck in limbo for years. It’s no surprise that many dads experience mental health issues, turn to alcohol or drugs, lose their jobs and homes, and spiral out of control. It really is a state of affairs. I don’t understand why ex-couples can’t just sell their homes, split the proceeds, and move on—oh right, the kids!

Reactions: Ash
You can force a sale of the family home. She's got a postgraduate degree, children are in secondary school and she is capable of working full time and the settlement will reflect this. She might get 6 months to a year to sort herself out but she won't need any longer that that. Also, if she's only just done these qualifications then it would be reasonable under a cross examination in a final hearing to ask her why on earth she did so if she only planned to do low paid, menial work. Whether she likes it or not, it has had a significant positive impact on her earning capacity in the foreseeable future and if you are not earning huge amounts yourself you could easily find she has more income than you by the time CMS is paid which would make a 50/50 split of assets the fairest outcome.

Working back to your position now my advice would be to file a Form A with your County Court to begin financial proceedings. You can state on the form that a MIAM was not appropriate because your ex is abusive and has previously made false allegations against you that would make mediation impractical. Subsequently, you can send her an offer (I would suggest you start at 70% for your and 30% for her if your aim is 50/50, because you do not want to signal to a court at this stage that you agree that a house you owned before you even knew her should be 50% hers as a starting point, because then the question becomes whether more of that equity should become hers whereas offering 30% will focus the court on the question on how much more than only 30% she should get).

In terms of extending the mortgage term, you might have been better off not doing that. In the unlikely event that she is allowed to stay in the house for the next 6 years (at best I think she will be allowed until your eldest finishes GCSE), she will now only have to pay the smaller mortgage sums. Had you kept it as is she would have been forced to pay off the whole mortgage if you don't got your way in forcing a sale. Unfortunately you've also made the FMH much more affordable for her which tilts in her favour. It makes far more sense to make the mortgage TOO expensive for the resident parent so that they are forced to sell.

I'm no expert on divorce financials but when you have kids involved and currently reasonable informal arrangements, I would avoid anything too confrontational personally. It's good you've reduced the mortgage payments.

I think you can make financial proposals to try and get agreement reached rather than have a court decide it. ie a consent order for finances.

However if her view is she wants to stay in the house until the kids are adults she's not likely to agree.

I'll let others more experienced in divorce financials comment on this because I believe a settlement is supposed to ensure both parents can afford housing.

The two go together - the finances and childrens situation. I wouldn't try and get CM reduced by having your youngest live with you - I would just tread water with both kids, accept the good time you're getting now and say to your youngest that when she's older she can decide for herself. By the time she's 14 or 15 she could just come and live with you if she wanted. I think if you try to discuss that now, the shit will hit the fan and your ex could become extremely hostile over both kids and finances. If the youngest said to your ex she wanted to live with you then all kinds of nasty things can happen - like keeping her away completely and alienating her.

So to my mind, on the kids front, just tread water and show them a happy life with you. That counts for more than anything so they can see which parent behaves well etc.

Yes using an app is better, although my son, at 14 or 15 asked me not to communicate with his Mother any more and said it "made her worse" and he'd rather do it himself. So I accepted that.

I think getting the finances sorted is going to be tricky as your ex could use the kids to get what she wants. It's easy enough to manipulate a teenager into not coming unfortunately.

I think what your ex is talking about is what some Dads on here have - a mesher order. Where she remains in the house until the kids are a certain age and then it has to be sold. Is that right @Roblox ?

But that would leave you living at your Mother's for quite a few years. Unless the reduction in mortgage is enough for you to afford rent somewhere?

I think if it went to court then yes it could be argued that she could retrain and be earning a good wage within 3 years - but that is still three years of you living at your Mother's.

I disagree with you Ash and the reason for that is that when you're dealing with an abusive ex who is willing to make false allegations, then the likelihood is that you are also dealing with an untrustworthy person who wants to rip you off. The law is largely on the side of the weaker financial party so it's best to take the hit as early as possible when the pot is as small as possible and leave as many earning years afterwards to rebuild. You can make a consent order but someone who has made false allegations is very unlikely to be reasonable.

A Mesher Order should generally be avoided if possible. Courts don't like them and they are very rare except by consent. I would strongly discourage someone from agreeing to be stuck in one with an abusive ex who has made false allegations because they're just as likely to "forget" to pay the mortgage or destroy the property to try and frustrate a future sale. A court has to consider the housing needs of BOTH parties and it would not be acceptable for a judge that the OP was stuck living at his mother's house.

The only issue though is that the OP has made the mortgage very cheap to service by extending the term. This will make it far easier for his abusive ex to claim that she can afford to live there. In my own case, the mortgage is up for renewal next year and as long as I am stuck on a mortgage with her I am going to refuse to extend the term, refuse to let her fix the rate and refuse to pay spousal maintenance (quitting my job if necessary) in order to force a sale. Perhaps more "nuclear" than you have the stomach for, but Constantinides vs Constantinides provides sufficient legal cover to do this.

A court has to consider the housing needs of BOTH parties and it would not be acceptable for a judge that the OP was stuck living at his mother's house.
That's what I thought. As I say I'm not that up on the divorce side of things. Which bit did you disagree with? :-) I suppose I was thinking more about avoiding alienation of the children but then he shouldn't allow himself to be held to ransom either.

I didn't have a divorce, but I know I sucked up a lot of xxxx and did without for years, just to avoid conflict for my son and ex witholding him. That was in the days when it was pretty hard to get a "contact order".

Sorry to hear this @karma

This sounds very tough.

I can understand why you've deleted the parenting app but is there any way you can reopen dialogue on this app even if you're doing it with the help of a third party as the messages can be used in court if needed.

It may well be a mesher order your ex is after. In theory it would allow your ex to live in the old family home until your youngest is 18 (assuming the child is still living with Mother). There could be other trigger points for a sale but they're hard to prove. One thing though is if a mesher order was approved your ex would need to pay the mortgage and maintain the upkeep of the house. You could only really be called on for potential capital improvements I think.

As mentioned upthread mesher orders are less common these days like spousal maintenance as there's now an expectation both parents will work in this day and age. I think your ex may struggle in court to explain why she can't work more hours but the courts do also side with the Mother usually when push cones to shove.

Again as mentioned upthread its best to take the hit now. Get a clean break if at all possible. It can be done even if a mesher order is in place although obviously you'd still be on the house mortgage which can have an impact if you then try to buy another house from an affordability point of view and you're also on the hook if the ex misses mortgage payments but if she does you can build that into the mesher order to force a sale (but obviously there's a potential hit to your credit score).

It's a bit of a mindfield

That's what I thought. As I say I'm not that up on the divorce side of things. Which bit did you disagree with? :-) I suppose I was thinking more about avoiding alienation of the children but then he shouldn't allow himself to be held to ransom either.

I didn't have a divorce, but I know I sucked up a lot of xxxx and did without for years, just to avoid conflict for my son and ex witholding him. That was in the days when it was pretty hard to get a "contact order".
I disagree with the suggestion not to push a resolution on financials. It is better to shut down any discussion of financials with a sealed court order at the earliest opportunity, especially if the ex is abusive. Her motivations to prevent him seeing the children will be stronger as long as she is having the family home to herself because she will be building a case to take more of the equity and forever delaying the building of her own earning capacity. The OP could find himself getting less than half the house and maybe even paying the evil witch spousal maintenance until she retires unless he acts now. If he acts now, he will not need to have anything more to do with her once his youngest leaves secondary education.

@Karma Police so sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you manage to find a solution, my advice would be to always try and protect the children's interests at all times as generally they are the ones that suffer most.

Some excellent replies have had me thinking about my situation through a game theory-like lens. I appreciate Unknown01’s point about how extending the mortgage term made the FMH more affordable for my ex. However, I couldn't sustain the original mortgage payments any longer. By extending the term, I reduced the monthly payment from over £800 to just under £250. But this saving was quickly offset because, just days after my arrest and being served court papers for an abridged hearing, I was forced to take out a large loan. Her strategy was meticulously planned—my arrest at work, followed by court papers summoning me within 48 hours. It was a bombshell. I had to take time off work, consult solicitors, and ultimately take out the loan to cover legal fees for the fight ahead.

@Ash, even with the mortgage reduction, I still can't afford to move out of my mother’s house and rent elsewhere. Between child maintenance, mortgage payments, regular debts, bills, and now this large loan, my situation is unsustainable. Extending the mortgage was the only option to protect my credit score since the mortgage is solely in my name, even though she has registered her matrimonial rights on the property. This prevented me from making the mortgage unaffordable for the resident parent. Despite my financial struggles, I’ve never missed any credit card or mortgage payments and don’t intend to.

@Unknown01, I appreciate your suggestion to file a Form A with my County Court, and your advice on this was very helpful. Can I file this concurrently with my ex’s application (Notice of [intention to proceed with] a financial application) while I am currently working through the Form E?

@Ash, I’ve thought a lot about your comments. I’ve always had a warm, respectful relationship with my children, as shown in the 10 positive supervised contact reports. Even the contact agency was perplexed why supervision was necessary. While my ex initially prevented me from seeing them, once CAFCASS got involved, she quickly realized the game was up. CAFCASS interviewed everyone, reviewed the evidence, and compiled a Section 7 report, which concluded there was no danger or violence toward my daughters. Despite the ongoing police investigation, CAFCASS recommended I see my children immediately, even before the final hearing. The police later confirmed no further action would be taken, and the judge dismissed the non-molestation and occupation orders.

This weekend, I tried a different approach with my youngest, based on what @Ash suggested. While driving, I proposed the idea of her spending an extra night with me instead of moving in. She became emotional and reminded me of my earlier promise that she could move in. I reassured her that if she still wanted to, I would be happy to have her live with me during the week and visit her mother on weekends. Thankfully, I live only 1 km from the FMH, making this arrangement feasible. So, it looks like we're back on track for her to move in with me by the new school term.

I know this will come as a shock to her mother, and my daughter is aware of the tactics that might be used once this news comes out. At 12, she’s wise beyond her years and has thought carefully about this decision. Her current room at her mother’s is very small, while the one at mine is more than twice the size—this will be one of the reasons she’ll give her mother for the move. I’m confident this is the right decision, especially after giving her the option to change her mind, which she passionately declined.

It’s been a long journey. At the start, my ex claimed our children were scared of me, leading to the serious allegations and restrictions. But now, a year and a half later, my youngest daughter wants to live with me, with her mother having weekend visits.

Now, I must solidify these gains. When my daughter moves in, it will be hard to justify my ex staying in a 3-bedroom FMH, and I may be able to push for a sale. As Unknown01 suggested, I could send her an offer starting at a 70/30 split in my favour, with the aim of settling at 50/50. My daughter living with me five nights a week will undoubtedly impact the financial calculations in the final settlement. Additionally, my ex’s postgraduate degree has improved her earning potential, another factor to consider—thank you, Unknown01, for your helpful insights.

Now, it’s my turn to fight back. My ex has thrown every possible obstacle in my way, but I’m still standing strong. Most importantly, my children can see that I’m standing firm, fighting for them. I hope this ends with a clean break, selling the FMH, splitting the proceeds, and moving on with my life. Is that too much to ask?

Notice of [intention to proceed with] a financial application is Form A so it sounds like you are the respondent to that one. It's quite handy that she's filed; I had to pay £303 to file mine.

Back