Guest viewing is limited

how would you feel?

lkdawes89

I teach year 6. We have a new headteacher that started after half term, he has yesterday completely banned children from visiting the toilet during class time. I am so shocked and dreading going into work now and having to say no.

I wouldn't like that either. I remember having a similar experience at school and wetting myself! End up being off sick for a few days as lost all bladder control. The toilets can have big queues at break time and they won't want to risk being late for lessons. Very young obviously but it can be distressing for children. I guess kids can try it on to get out of class but surely they're allowed to go once.

I guess all you can do is say to the kids - make sure you go before the lesson starts. And then take each situation as it comes - if one kid, near the end of the lesson says they're desperate then I'd let them go. Year 6 will be 10 and 11 year olds won't it? This seems a heavy handed way of trying to ensure good sats results.

What do other teachers think?

If my son told me he wasn't allowed to go to the toilet during lessons, I'd tell him to make sure he went before the lesson started, but if he forgot and was desperate, to put his hand up and ask anyway and if a teacher said no I would take it up with the school.

So the school might have a few angry parents complaining/

I wouldn't like that either. I remember having a similar experience at school and wetting myself! End up being off sick for a few days as lost all bladder control. The toilets can have big queues at break time and they won't want to risk being late for lessons. Very young obviously but it can be distressing for children. I guess kids can try it on to get out of class but surely they're allowed to go once.

I guess all you can do is say to the kids - make sure you go before the lesson starts. And then take each situation as it comes - if one kid, near the end of the lesson says they're desperate then I'd let them go. Year 6 will be 10 and 11 year olds won't it? This seems a heavy handed way of trying to ensure good sats results.

What do other teachers think?

If my son told me he wasn't allowed to go to the toilet during lessons, I'd tell him to make sure he went before the lesson started, but if he forgot and was desperate, to put his hand up and ask anyway and if a teacher said no I would take it up with the school.

So the school might have a few angry parents complaining/
Another concern of mine is being male and refusing girls at this age

I agree completely. So what would happen if you just decided to use your discretion? You know which kids are the ok ones and which ones would try anything. What would the Head do about it? I don't think they can do anything.

I think this would be the reaction! Surely the school can't have enough toilets for all kids to go during a 15 minute break? Ok it's the Mirror - but it does have a good point.

Personally I think it's a major issue. Why should kids with genuine needs or anxieties be restricted because of a few who would take advantage? There's another article here that says after eating it takes time before they need a poo - it can't always just be at break time or lunch time. And as you say, girls have other needs as well. Have the teachers had a discussion together? Or are you all worried about being fired if you object?

Personally I think it's a major issue. Why should kids with genuine needs or anxieties be restricted because of a few who would take advantage? There's another article here that says after eating it takes time before they need a poo - it can't always just be at break time or lunch time. And as you say, girls have other needs as well. Have the teachers had a discussion together? Or are you all worried about being fired if you object?

A couple of teachers already been pulled up on showing discretion

Do you have a union? See what they say. Assume the kids have all been made aware of this as well - which will cause anxiety for some. It will then be down to parents to send a letter in asking for discretion for their child.

Back