Guest viewing is limited

Homeless , joblesss debt arrears CMS

Logan

So during covid I became homeless and jobless as well as bankrupt and haven’t paid the cms in 4 years.
In about to claim universal credit and then get into work again.
The cms say I owe £11,000 and going I know this as my mother sees my ex and son
Can the cms or my ex reach an agreeable amount than £11,000?
Also I’m disabled and have no communication with my ex or cms

Thankyou for any advice you’ve had with debt arrears getting reduced

If you were not paying because you did not have an income, I suspect the calculation used by CMS must be wrong. Unless there was a period where you had an income and were not paying. I suggest you challenge the CMS calculation.

Reactions: Ash
Hi @Logan, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've had a sh*te few years. Hope things are on the up for you.
If you are not in communication with CMS, then I assume it's your ex, via your mum, that is saying you owe £11K, so you might not even owe that.
As @Resolute says, get in touch with CMS and state your case. They calculate payments on your gross taxable income, so if you haven't been working, and been on a very low benefits type income they should recalulate, although they do normally re assess payments every anniversary of 1st payment, based on hmrc tax returns.

I think the first thing is to phone the CMS and explain the situation and say there must be a mistake.

They might have just added up your old amount times four years if they didn’t know your circumstances. You might need evidence to prove lack of income for those few years.

Back