Guest viewing is limited

Hair strand tests

John

Evening,
I’ve been ordered to have a hair strand test done for alcohol consumption. Does anyone have experience with these that they would like to share? Also if you have any providers that you have used that the court accepted because I’m struggling to find a court approved provider for self representing like me..
Cheers
J

I'll let someone else answer that one but I think it costs about £600. Do you have to pay for all of it yourself?

This is the provider I'd use if I had the choice:

I have experience of hair strand test, mine was instructed by the other side. They posed the question in a way that made the report favour them: "is the subject a chronic excessive drinker?". My test came back as consistent with abstinence, but that was not the question they were asked to address. As a result, I needed to research in depth what the result meant and be ready to demonstrate information glossed over in their report. My result was below detectable value, but this only came out by research.

Answer offered in the report was along the lines of: "on the basis of evidence, which can never be conclusive, it is most likely that the subject is not a chronic excessive drinker". B****rds didn't even mention that my result was the same as a tee-totaller would get.

So, choose the right question! Also, toxicology is only one indicator. A proper assessment relies on engagement in support from an alcohol service. I self-referred to my local alcohol service, did their dependency and risk assessment, attended key work sessions, and brought all of this to the hearing as well.

It is worth paying the extra £150-£250 for an expert report. Don't be shy about getting on the phone to these labs and asking whatever questions you want an answer to. As a prospective customer, you do not need to give an identity. If they ask for one, you can use your imagination.

If you are concerned about the result you might get, no need to rush.

What exactly does the order say about type of test and deadline?

Last edited:
Cheers, the order says the court needs a report to find out if I drink alcohol to excess and it must go back 3 months. The court have also ordered that the ex pays half of the cost :-)

Instead of asking if the result shows that you "drink alcohol to excess." I would task them with reporting what insight can be given on your alcohol consumption by a 3 month hair strand test.

Open the field, scientists only report on the question they are asked.

Thank you.. Would they be able to break it down to what the result would be equivalent to in drinks? Ie the result is equivalent to 1 pint of lager a week, 1 glass of wine a week ect?

I paid about 450 for mine.

The test itself will depend on the part of the body they take the hair from. If from the head the test can be accurate in pinpointing dates etc whereas body hair it's more looking at a period of time. For example I used armpit hair and the test was estimated to cover a 4to8 month period.

With my test there was no ethanol trace but it still came back something like no evidence of chronic drinking.

It's also worth going to your gp to get a letter confirming you have no history of alcohol abuse or requesting support for such matters and that you have a clean bill of health (assuming applicable).

Reactions: Ash
Thank you.. Would they be able to break it down to what the result would be equivalent to in drinks? Ie the result is equivalent to 1 pint of lager a week, 1 glass of wine a week ect?

Only to a degree, there are three possible results. Lowest is consistent with abstinence, but does not categorically confirm abstinence. Middle shows regular dinking, but not chronic excessive drinking. The highest result strongly suggests chronic excessive drinking over the period tested, i.e. 7.5 units a day or more. It cannot be broken down into drinking events and exact drinking amounts.

Literally just completed this step. I've sent you a PM.

• Make sure the cost of the test is split between you and the other party (Check) ✅
  • Make sure the other party provides their half of the test fee BEFORE you make arrangements. (Especially if this is all because the other party is denying you access to your children over allegations your alcohol consumption makes you a welfare risk to your child).
  • If you don't get the other half of the money, and you don't want to be taken advantage of, don't book it! You have plenty of justification for not being able to afford all of it yourself in this current economic climate. Making it clear in a position statement that you have not completed the order for a test because you have not received the other parties half of the fee should not go against you but not be viewed favourably for the other party by the court, as I have very recently discovered. The negative to this stance of course is that it may drag your case out for another hearing and prolong your pain. It depends how you want to play it. I put up a fight.

Hair strand substance testing works by looking for the metabolites (chemical signatures) of the substances that are absorbed into the blood and deposited into the hair.

You cannot test for alcohol directly in hair, so Ethyl glucuronide (EtG), a metabolite of ethanol which is formed in the body by glucuronidation following exposure to ethanol (alcohol), usually from drinking, is measured in hair as a marker of alcohol consumption. Ethyl glucuronide can stay in your hair for a period of up to 90 days. A concentration level greater than or equal to 30 pg/mg of EtG in head hair (3 cm up to 6 cm) strongly suggests chronic excessive alcohol consumption.

Hair Strand Test for Ethyl Glucuronide (Alcohol) = £118.00

Witness Statement = £105.00

Sample collection = £110.00

Total £333 approximately

In my case, the test was instructed by the other side. The company then got in touch with me to take my part of the payment.

Had I not paid, they obviously would not have gone ahead with the test. But her solicitor was protected by having done their side.

This was a middle ground on the choice Kyle identifies.

Thanks for your reply’s guys.. so I’ve booked one and the provider has split the bill and sent her a bill for her half of the test. I’ve paid my half and they are coming to take the sample on Tuesday, they then will send it to the lab but not carry out the test until she pays her half of the bill.. I suppose if she doesn’t it just makes her look silly when we go back to court, if she does pay then win win cause I get my clean hair strand test result and that dismisses her claim that I drink alchohol to excess 😊

Back