Guest viewing is limited

Hair strand alcohol test and swimming pools

Yorkdad

Hi guys, a bit tongue in check for sure but for anyone with allegations of drinking etc its best to go sober through the court process. I have been concerned that this will be alleged in my upcoming court issues. Its easy to sling about. There is no issue but I want to go in as clean as a whistle. Spotted this and can confirm a newly found interest in swimming 3 times a week ! Evidently 26-88% reduction in 10hrs of swimming pool water.​

Decrease of ethyl glucuronide concentrations in hair after exposure to chlorinated swimming pool water​

Marc Luginbühl 1, Susanne Nussbaumer 1, Wolfgang Weinmann 1
Affiliations expand
Free article

Abstract​

The direct alcohol marker ethyl glucuronide (EtG) is widely used for the assessment of alcohol consumption behavior and abstinence monitoring by hair analysis. We investigated the influence of chlorinated swimming pool water on EtG concentrations in hair in comparison to deionized water (Milli-Q) containing no chlorine. EtG concentrations were measured with a validated online solid-phase extraction-liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (SPE-LC-MS/MS) method. EtG positive hair samples were obtained from 3 regular drinkers and incubated for 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 hours at room temperature. EtG concentrations in hair were reduced after 2 hours of incubation in chlorinated water by 20 ± 12% (range: 4-33%), in deionized water by 24 ± 5% (range: 18-29%). Incubation for 10 hours resulted in a decrease in EtG concentrations of 57 ± 6% (range: 52-65%) for chlorinated water and 47 ± 11% (range: 32-60%) for deionized water. To demonstrate washout in forensic hair samples, 20 samples from subjects with known alcohol consumption behavior were investigated additionally. The samples were divided into 2 strands and analyzed with incubation in chlorinated water for 10 hours and for comparison without any incubation. A mean decrease of 53 ± 18% (range: 26-88%) was observed. These results clearly demonstrate that washout effects are caused by water and have a significant impact on EtG concentrations in hair. For people with hair that are regularly exposed to water for a longer period (eg. swimmers), washout effects may lead to a significant decrease of EtG concentrations in hair. Concentrations may fall below threshold concentrations used for the interpretation of consumption habits (7 pg/mg for social consumption, 30 pg/mg for excessive consumption).
Keywords: EtG; alcohol marker; drug test adulteration; ethyl glucuronide; hair analysis.

I was accused of being alcoholic and ordered to take a Peth test within 10 days. I didn’t have an alcohol issue but like a majority of the country enjoy a few glasses of wine every now and again. I just stopped drinking that day onwards and didn’t touch a single drop for the next 5 months. Passed 2 back to back with very good results and lead to my solicitor submitting an urgent application against my ex on the grounds of safeguarding. Basically stopping my daughter from seeing me with no actual reason. The urgent application for accepted. So passing first time round and wirh flying colours can obviously have positive reactions.
If I remember rightly the results range are as follows:

0-20mg - abstinence
(Aftershave can register hence up to 20mg)

21-210 - social/moderate
(2-3 drinks, 2 nights a week)

210+ - excessive/heavy drinking
(4-6 drinks more than 3 days a week) (FAIL)

As you can see you can fail quite easily! Especially while events like the euros is on.

I found my own personal half life was 3 days which is pretty good. Some people 5+ days and some people 2 days.

So for example if you have 800mg in your Peth which is very very high! With a half life of 3 days it takes the following for somebody like me to have abstinence reading.

Day 1-3 - 800mg -(fail)
Day 3-6 - 400mg - (fail)
Day 6-9 - 200mg - (social/mod - HIGH END)
Day 9-12 - 100mg (pass)
Day 12-15 - 50mg (pass)
Day 15-18 - 25mg (pass)
Day 18-21 - 12-5mg - (abstinence)

So somebody with a 800mg Peth reading and a 3 day half life it takes 3 weeks of total abstinence to pass with flying colours. However, if you have the odd drink it will keep topping up the Peth levels and will fail.

From reading stuff online chronic alcoholics generally have a level of 2500mg in their blood and a slow half life of 5 days. You can do your own maths on that.

I did back to back tests to prove a point and also self funded tests not within the order again to make a point and be thorough in my testing. I strongly recommend to do Peth tests and have then in hand just in case you fail your hair test. Peth test can prove you are not alcoholic and your hair test failure could be down to going on a 2 week all inclusive when your child wasn’t present for example and then you had a couple of mates 40th weekend celebrations and a friends wedding.

An alcoholic will not pass 2 back to back Peth tests without becoming violently I’ll! This is good ammo for your barrister.

Hope this helps

Hi guys, a bit tongue in check for sure but for anyone with allegations of drinking etc its best to go sober through the court process. I have been concerned that this will be alleged in my upcoming court issues. Its easy to sling about. There is no issue but I want to go in as clean as a whistle. Spotted this and can confirm a newly found interest in swimming 3 times a week ! Evidently 26-88% reduction in 10hrs of swimming pool water.​

Decrease of ethyl glucuronide concentrations in hair after exposure to chlorinated swimming pool water​

Marc Luginbühl 1, Susanne Nussbaumer 1, Wolfgang Weinmann 1
Affiliations expand
Free article

Abstract​

The direct alcohol marker ethyl glucuronide (EtG) is widely used for the assessment of alcohol consumption behavior and abstinence monitoring by hair analysis. We investigated the influence of chlorinated swimming pool water on EtG concentrations in hair in comparison to deionized water (Milli-Q) containing no chlorine. EtG concentrations were measured with a validated online solid-phase extraction-liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (SPE-LC-MS/MS) method. EtG positive hair samples were obtained from 3 regular drinkers and incubated for 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 hours at room temperature. EtG concentrations in hair were reduced after 2 hours of incubation in chlorinated water by 20 ± 12% (range: 4-33%), in deionized water by 24 ± 5% (range: 18-29%). Incubation for 10 hours resulted in a decrease in EtG concentrations of 57 ± 6% (range: 52-65%) for chlorinated water and 47 ± 11% (range: 32-60%) for deionized water. To demonstrate washout in forensic hair samples, 20 samples from subjects with known alcohol consumption behavior were investigated additionally. The samples were divided into 2 strands and analyzed with incubation in chlorinated water for 10 hours and for comparison without any incubation. A mean decrease of 53 ± 18% (range: 26-88%) was observed. These results clearly demonstrate that washout effects are caused by water and have a significant impact on EtG concentrations in hair. For people with hair that are regularly exposed to water for a longer period (eg. swimmers), washout effects may lead to a significant decrease of EtG concentrations in hair. Concentrations may fall below threshold concentrations used for the interpretation of consumption habits (7 pg/mg for social consumption, 30 pg/mg for excessive consumption).
Keywords: EtG; alcohol marker; drug test adulteration; ethyl glucuronide; hair analysis.
You need to be careful when interpreting the results of studies. This study that is quoted is a pilot study, these are studies that are undertaken in a small scale, but in full process , to ensure that any unforeseen issues are eradicated before undertaking a large scale study, this saves time and money. This particular study had samples taken from just 3 study subjects and in scientific terms, the numbers are meaningless and should not be relied upon for anything.

I was accused of being alcoholic and ordered to take a Peth test within 10 days. I didn’t have an alcohol issue but like a majority of the country enjoy a few glasses of wine every now and again. I just stopped drinking that day onwards and didn’t touch a single drop for the next 5 months. Passed 2 back to back with very good results and lead to my solicitor submitting an urgent application against my ex on the grounds of safeguarding. Basically stopping my daughter from seeing me with no actual reason. The urgent application for accepted. So passing first time round and wirh flying colours can obviously have positive reactions.
If I remember rightly the results range are as follows:

0-20mg - abstinence
(Aftershave can register hence up to 20mg)

21-210 - social/moderate
(2-3 drinks, 2 nights a week)

210+ - excessive/heavy drinking
(4-6 drinks more than 3 days a week) (FAIL)

As you can see you can fail quite easily! Especially while events like the euros is on.

I found my own personal half life was 3 days which is pretty good. Some people 5+ days and some people 2 days.

So for example if you have 800mg in your Peth which is very very high! With a half life of 3 days it takes the following for somebody like me to have abstinence reading.

Day 1-3 - 800mg -(fail)
Day 3-6 - 400mg - (fail)
Day 6-9 - 200mg - (social/mod - HIGH END)
Day 9-12 - 100mg (pass)
Day 12-15 - 50mg (pass)
Day 15-18 - 25mg (pass)
Day 18-21 - 12-5mg - (abstinence)

So somebody with a 800mg Peth reading and a 3 day half life it takes 3 weeks of total abstinence to pass with flying colours. However, if you have the odd drink it will keep topping up the Peth levels and will fail.

From reading stuff online chronic alcoholics generally have a level of 2500mg in their blood and a slow half life of 5 days. You can do your own maths on that.

I did back to back tests to prove a point and also self funded tests not within the order again to make a point and be thorough in my testing. I strongly recommend to do Peth tests and have then in hand just in case you fail your hair test. Peth test can prove you are not alcoholic and your hair test failure could be down to going on a 2 week all inclusive when your child wasn’t present for example and then you had a couple of mates 40th weekend celebrations and a friends wedding.

An alcoholic will not pass 2 back to back Peth tests without becoming violently I’ll! This is good ammo for your barrister.

Hope this helps
Nicely written , although I would emphasis to anyone reading this, that elimination rates are highly individual and the best policy is simply not to drink rather than try to play the numbers.

Yep, go zero. My C100 going in end of week so plenty of time in the processing etc. Ex will come out swinging for sure when that letter hits her doorstep and alcohol use is one of her old chestnuts. Pre emptive strike with self paid peth test in 6 weeks showing abstenace levels might help intrim contact. 7 weeks without daughter...long time to go yet. Cruelty of it is staggering..over nothing too.

Yep, go zero. My C100 going in end of week so plenty of time in the processing etc. Ex will come out swinging for sure when that letter hits her doorstep and alcohol use is one of her old chestnuts. Pre emptive strike with self paid peth test in 6 weeks showing abstenace levels might help intrim contact. 7 weeks without daughter...long time to go yet. Cruelty of it is staggering..over nothing too.
Power to you matey! 💪
I wish I had Peth test in the locker for first hearing. Solicitors don’t tell you these things as they make more money the longer it goes on. Cynical but this is my opinion. A Peth test showing abstinance and a written letter from my doctor show no mental health concerns/history is exactly what I would have got without my ex knowing and then produce them at first hearing. Like you say could really help with interim and offer negotiation power for your barrister (if using). My solicitor kept saying “but you havnt been ordered to do it”. Yet they know full well it would have helped, even if it speeded up the process and resulted in a better interim period. That would knock the smugness right out the courtroom!

if you have a clear peth test, there is no argument for further alcohol testing. The reason is that regardless of your previous alcohol intake, you can clearly show that you can abstain. If you can abstain for a test, then you can abstain for child care. Remember the reason for alcohol testing is not about the past, it is about the future and your time with your child.

Back