Guest viewing is limited

Ex has new partner, a smoker, and child now has asthma

Ghostdad

Hi All
My ex is still preventing access to my child and has a new partner who I believe could be smoking in the house. I have recently managed to gain access to medical records to find out that my child has now developed asthma - is there anything I can do about this

Thanks

Tbh I dont think there is anything you to do about this. Its not illegal to smoke in a home. How can you prove that ex partner is anyway. Still irresponsible from ex, and frustrating for you.

Reactions: Ash
Are you mid court proceedings? I can't remember, sorry. This is a difficult one. It may be coincidental that your child has asthma, rather than the smoking causing it. Asthma is usually an allergic condition. However, smoking will aggravate it and won't be good for your child.

All I can think at the moment is that when you get to the stage of court orders being made, that you ask for a recital stating that no one will smoke in either home due to your child being asthmatic. Which seems reasonable - he can go outside to smoke. This is down to your ex allowing it really.

Posted at the same time as mva. Agree you might not get anywhere with this one and there are asthmatics who smoke themselves. But your son is a child so you could try asking for that recital.

Reactions: mva
Hi All
My ex is still preventing access to my child and has a new partner who I believe could be smoking in the house. I have recently managed to gain access to medical records to find out that my child has now developed asthma - is there anything I can do about this

Thanks
That's a very interesting question, it sounds like a minor thing but it does have long-term health issues.

In the US, they consider it child abuse and in the UK it is illegal to smoke in the car when a child is a passenger.

I would raise this issue but with a proper explanation and add some health-related research references.

I think it's not only about the court case and looking for points against ex. This issue is your legitimate concern and if you are posting it here means you are worried so passing a message through the court to your ex is a solid way.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Being so detached from him as a consequence of my ex and now having access to his medical records and seeing asthma concerns has made me feel powerless.

Back