Guest viewing is limited

Does the court speak to stepparents?

Sm314

Hi everyone, here supporting my husband who had applied for a CAO for his child to live with him and have frequent contact with their mother. We also submitted a C1A for emotional abuse. So far just received the cafcass safeguarding letter, which ended up being heavily biased in favour of the mother. In her response to the C1A and what she’s told cafcass, she’s blaming me for everything, says I’ve ruined the relationship with her kid and thinks he’s only applied to court because I have manipulated him into doing so. Obviously it’s nonsense, he’s just doing what he thinks is best for his kid, but I have a feeling that cafcass have believed the evil stepmum narrative.

My question is, does the court ever speak to stepparents? Would I have an opportunity to explain to a judge/magistrate that everything she’s said about me is untrue?

No they don't normally speak to step parents and it's a parent's choice and responsibility to decide who their kids are around. I would think the court would just see your H's ex as bitter and twisted. Cafcass are sometimes less generous. Sometimes Cafcass will talk to a step parent, depending on the circumstances, but you wouldn't be actually part of court hearings. If Cafcass do say they want to speak to you, be very careful not to say anything negative about the ex. They will judge you on that.

Back