Guest viewing is limited

convention for naming ?

NewcastleBrownAle

Experienced member
so, things are going my way, and part of my court case is a parental responsibility order. Currently the surname on the birth certificate is the mothers.

Is there a naming convention ? we were never married ?

can the surname be changed to the fathers or can the surname be double barrelled with both ?

so, things are going my way, and part of my court case is a parental responsibility order. Currently the surname on the birth certificate is the mothers.

Is there a naming convention ? we were never married ?

can the surname be changed to the fathers or can the surname be double barrelled with both ?
You can request a change of surname if you are given parental responsibility, if I recall correctly you would need to complete a C2 for specific issues order. You would need to detail why you would like the child’s name changed and why it would be in the child’s best interests. If I were you I would request double barrelled name and reason being that it is in your child’s best interests to have both parent surname so that they can associate with belonging to both parents families and know where they come from. You would obviously need to elaborate on this.

I know someone who got a surname changed and the reason was because he had other children with different woman and if the child had his surname included in theirs they would not inadvertently enter into a relationship with a sibling.

Reactions: Ash
The mother has the final say on the surname at registration as she is the only one who has parental responsibility before that document is signed.

If you want a change of surname you need to apply with a specific issues order. If you have no current arenagments in place I'd advise doing that with a c100 as a specific issues order without a child arenagments order would look like you are more focused on the surname over seeing your children.

Highly unlikely you can get it changed to your surname only unless you can show it's it's children's best interests not to have mothers surname. The threshold is rather high for this.

Double barrell surname request are much more common as it is very hard for mother to argue why it's not in best interests of child to not have fathers surname in part.

She will likely use the "primary carer" argument, but that's equally shit down with the opposite. In that if the children live with mother than it's more important that connection is maintained if they are having les time with you.

The primary case law that is referred to is Dawson Vs wearmouth. If you have a Google around, you will see that any surname change has to have regard for the welfare checklist.

The mother has the final say on the surname at registration as she is the only one who has parental responsibility before that document is signed.

If you want a change of surname you need to apply with a specific issues order. If you have no current arenagments in place I'd advise doing that with a c100 as a specific issues order without a child arenagments order would look like you are more focused on the surname over seeing your children.

Highly unlikely you can get it changed to your surname only unless you can show it's it's children's best interests not to have mothers surname. The threshold is rather high for this.

Double barrell surname request are much more common as it is very hard for mother to argue why it's not in best interests of child to not have fathers surname in part.

She will likely use the "primary carer" argument, but that's equally shit down with the opposite. In that if the children live with mother than it's more important that connection is maintained if they are having les time with you.

The primary case law that is referred to is Dawson Vs wearmouth. If you have a Google around, you will see that any surname change has to have regard for the welfare checklist.
I"m currently in court for a CAO and a PRO and the next hearing is likely the last.

Back