Guest viewing is limited

CMS travel cost variation

BigLes

Hi All,

I submitted a variation for travel costs to CMS almost a year ago. The date by which they promised to address my variation claim was June 2022. I’ve called up about 6 times over the past 11 months and each time I’m told by the call handler/gatekeeper person that they will get a case worker to call me back. I don’t know what more to do. Is there a complaints procedure? Is there any other Avenue to explore?
I’m confused. I don’t know if CMS are wilfully being difficult or if they’re just really inept.

The annoying thing is that I spend over £200 a month on fuel but I’m only entitled to 12p per mile. But I won’t even receive the 12p per mile, I receive a small fraction of that (perhaps 1.8p per mile). But still, every little counts!

Hi....I feel for you.

For anything other than an initial application I understand they place a 32 week (yes, that isn't a typo) internal timescale for completion. Your Nov-June date is therefore moderately accurate.

The "good news" is that your application is valid from the date you received acknowledgement of making it i.e. backdated when a decision is made. The "bad news" is that administration is woeful both in terms of timeliness but also accuracy. You need to scrutinise the detail when you eventually receive it.

And that will of course drag matters out further.....

Therefore, and because June is well gone and you also haven't had the return calls you were pledged, you should make a complaint now following the procedure. However, I recommend you include your MP in the complaint to ensure a timely response and conclusion.

Keep the complaint unemotional, be spot on with all application, correspondence and phone call dates and briefly include an 'outcome' section which details the £££ now possibly owed.

Good luck, SS.

Thanks a lot. Is there an email address or postal address to complain to? Thanks.

I’d prefer them to reject it tbh rather than just ignore it, at least that way I can ask for a mandatory reconsideration and then a tribunal. I’m just in limbo at the moment.

I suspect the RP is going to object (most likely she already has) and say that I don’t need to undertake return journeys to my home with my child but rather I should be spending the whole 8 hour day on a Saturday and then the full 8 hour day on a Sunday in a local park near her home. Logically-speaking it is reasonable to drive back home with my child for the day, and logically-speaking it is out of the question that I could spend 8 hours in a cold wet park with a toddler before returning my child to its mother. However, is CMS likely to agree with the RP and say that I don’t need to be returning him with my child? The specific details are not set out in a Court Order. Thanks

Back