Guest viewing is limited

Alienating behaviours checklist

Peanut 21

Experienced member
Last month Ash posted a really helpful website in the legal resources section about PA in law. I only saw it last night.
There's a part that cafcass uses to identify alienating behaviours in the alienating parent which is useful. Anyone noticing alienating behaviours in their case can use the below as a checklist and adapt the wording and use it in any statements they will use before a hearing.
  • Actively denigrates and exaggerates flaws of the other parent to the child, directly or indirectly e.g. may ask others to do this also.
  • A resident parent with authority over all aspects of a child’s life but abdicates parental responsibility regarding the relationship with the other parent (e.g. ‘I won’t make them do something they don’t want to do.’)
  • A resident parent who will not ‘force’ or ‘drag’ a child to contact and uses those or other negatively loaded terms.
  • Coaches or instructs the child in what to say to professionals and others about negative experiences of the rejected parent.
  • Where a resident parent applies to the court to reduce the amount of time the child spends with the other parent, particularly where there have been previous proceedings, and there appear to be no safety or welfare issues.
  • Where a resident parent moves locality without agreement and a shared care arrangement or significant contact arrangement becomes unworkable.
  • Refusal to hear positive comments about other parent; quick to discount child’s good times as trivial and unimportant.
  • Overt and covert threats to withdraw love and affection from child unless other parent, and/or siblings that live with the other parent, are rejected.
  • Expresses no concern or empathy that the child is missing out on a previously positive relationship with the other parent. Is disinterested in the impact this may have on their development and identity.
  • Portrays the other parent as dangerous (and this is not justified). False or fabricated allegations of physical abuse, sexual, and/or emotional abuse or a single incident has disproportionate levels of fear or risk associated.
  • Telephone messages, gifts, and communications from the other parent to child are persistently destroyed, ignored, or passed on to the child with disdain.
  • False information repeated to child; distorts history and may make false allegations to professionals and in court proceedings.
  • Does not correct child’s rude, defiant behaviour directed toward the other parent but would not permit child to do this with others.
  • Is reluctant to allow professionals to make arrangements to see the child privately or tries to exert control over the enquiries the professional makes.
  • Makes the child aware of their own distress and emotional fragility.
  • Where a resident parent insists on being present (in person or on media) during contact time that has been assessed as safe or where it has been previously agreed was safe, without significant event to alter this view.
  • Makes complaints against professionals for harming the children by promoting time with the other parent.

Good list Peanut. The key though is proving some of these and that can sometimes by done by using correspondence from the ex - evidence is key with your final statement. There is no point saying - ex is doing xyz - unless you can prove it. Otherwise, it's up to Cafcass, or other professionals to say "Mother is doing xyz" because their word is authoritative and yours isn't.

Definitely.
And some of them will be more difficult to prove. Like the first point. You're not likely to be there when the ex is bad mouthing you to the kids.
Also you need a pattern of behaviour over a period of time.

This point is a good one because the courts can see this one themselves;

Where a resident parent applies to the court to reduce the amount of time the child spends with the other parent, particularly where there have been previous proceedings, and there appear to be no safety or welfare issues.

Reactions: Ash
Emails and texts can be good for the bad mouthing bit as well - maybe not directly but things like "he hates you and hates your house" etc. While they don't directly show bad mouthing, they show her attitude towards you and that contradicts with the child coming regularly and having normal times.

Other things that really help in evidence, which aren't directly alienating behaviours, but show emotional harm to the child or "reprehensible behaviour" are - if you get a hostile text message from the child (child has been incited). Or if you have correspondence showing ex gloating about something that has mysteriously disappeared that belonged to the child. Or a hostile message refusing to allow you to do something that the child needs that they can't do themselves - eg give the child a lift to some important school event if ex can't attend.

• Telephone messages, gifts, and communications from the other parent to child are persistently destroyed, ignored, or passed on to the child with disdain.

A few months ago when I started to have supervised sessions at my daughters school I bought her a little pearl necklace from a charity store. Two days later it was snapped without my daughter knowing how. A couple of weeks later after repeatedly asking for it I let my daughter have a little hand cast from iron, the size of a chewing gum pack. She had always liked it and said that she wanted it so that she could feel like she was holding my hand at home. The day after I gave it to her she said it had disappeared. I started to write her letters c/o the school. The first one I sent disappeared so now the school keep everything there. The positive out of this is that the two safeguarding officers are aware of this and if called to be witnesses in the final hearing they should confirm it.

I've given my little girl her christmas present this week but had to bring it home because it will simply be broken or disappeared. It's dreadful and low behaviour.

A few months ago when I started to have supervised sessions at my daughters school I bought her a little pearl necklace from a charity store. Two days later it was snapped without my daughter knowing how. A couple of weeks later after repeatedly asking for it I let my daughter have a little hand cast from iron, the size of a chewing gum pack. She had always liked it and said that she wanted it so that she could feel like she was holding my hand at home. The day after I gave it to her she said it had disappeared. I started to write her letters c/o the school. The first one I sent disappeared so now the school keep everything there. The positive out of this is that the two safeguarding officers are aware of this and if called to be witnesses in the final hearing they should confirm it.

I've given my little girl her christmas present this week but had to bring it home because it will simply be broken or disappeared. It's dreadful and low behaviour.
Sadly this happened with me as well…
I have had watches go missing, jewellery, toys, silly stuff like sticky things you buy for £1 in the machines, then also walkie talkies. The list goes on! It’s really rubbish because my daughter now refuses to take anything from here over to my exs house. She gets quite uncomfortable when I ask if she wants to take it with her so don’t ask anymore.

I have quite a few other boxes ticked from the list as well.
The one that really got me at the star lt was not letting me know when they would go away. They would go away and not tell me until The day they set off and the it cooks just be vague like “wales” for example. No FaceTime or communication at all while there.

Even now I go from a Wednesday to Wednesday without seeing my daughter and no communication is allowed! Very sad my daughter. I make up for it when she’s with me though that’s for sure :) 💪

I bet the mother needs constant communication if you have more than one day with your child?
Since we separated 18+ months ago my daughter was only ever allowed to stay 1 over night at a time. Since March became zero. In September back to 1 and then since my urgent order accepted she agreed for 2 nights in a row as of November. This weekend being the 3rd full weekend. I find it odd that on the evening before or on the morning off changeover she will start messaging me about things. I do tactically respond and I even went as far as saying I’m happy to FaceTimes every now and again during meal time for example. She refused!! 🤷‍♂️. Talk about cutting your nose off! So since then I don’t even bother responding a lot of the time unless necessary. For example send swimsuit back for swimming. It’s a shame because I would be more than happy for FaceTimes while apart but she’s been that nasty about such things and she is also extremely stubborn and arrogant she wound rather say no than accept my offer! Bonkers! It was my exs mum who used to play more obvious games. I would get Phonecalls from her which i wouldn’t answer but then message immediately to ask if there was an emergency. She would then reply saying pocket call. Total nonsense! I’m more sure what her agenda was I can only assume. She also used to do this when xxxx was in her company and all I cooks hear was xxxxx talking etc on the other end. Pocket call my ass! This is the same woman who sent metal handcuffs down with my daughter after me doing a voluntary police interview after false allegations (obviously NFA’d). Then another time my exs mum booked an holiday without my knowledge and then when I found out after then letting courts know availability she then refused to tell me where. Eventually i agreed after they signed a form saying they won’t do it again and will give me full details etc before booking. After agreeing and in retaliation she stuck a napkin in my daughters football kit bath which she knows I clean every other 2 weeks. It’s was a napkin from a restaurant from their previous holiday they went on without letting me know. I had no res presentation at this point so wasn’t aware of my rights etc. nicely tucked in amongst football shorts and shirts. The woman’s a maniac! Parental alienation is not just inflicted by my ex it can also be other family members. My exs mum also throws things daughters taken back in the past as well. Vile people! In time I really hope it becomes a law and people can prosecute or counter prosecute. I suppose the good thing is awareness of such behaviour is becoming more in the spotlight and the people who are on the receiving end of it just need to hope they get a judge who is proper touched up on it and done his homework

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a judgement from the high court released earlier this year. It's a long read but eye opening as to the lengths that a parent will go to on both sides. The father shows great perseverance and love.

Attachments

• Re-A-and-B-Children-Parental-Alienation-judgment-270723-2[1].pdf
    294.5 KB · Views: 31
Back