Guest viewing is limited

11+ 2023

MagicJ

Experienced member
Today is the 11+ exam across the UK.

One of my kids is sitting the exam and I'm more nervous than they are, as I'm sure is the case for any Father when their child sits an exam!

I dont mind the outcome and have ensured they know that, I am proud for them having come this far and to get through it all.

I just hope they are comfortable with their perofrmance and will remind them when they finish that i am proud, the outcome doesnt matter, they will have a great time at Secondary no matter which school they go to.

For any other parent in the same boat today, when you see your kids next, remember to stay positive, smile, hug them if you can and remind them of just how proud you are of who they have become 😊

Stay Blessed 🙌

MJ

Results Day

We're waiting for the results today.

I thought it best to tell my kid before school but maybe it was a mistake, kid was upset heading into class.

My belief is that they should know, in case the rest of the class discuss it but hindsight now makes me wonder if I made the right choice given I didn't have enough time to help manage the emotional responses

It's done now, I can't do anything about it except pray that their day allows them to prepare and manage expectations for end of school.

Still learning as a parent - MJ

Reactions: Ash
Not an easy situation. I'm not sure why your daughter would be upset. Anxious maybe, which is normal, but yes they will no doubt be talking about it at school. When I did it (a long time ago) the kids had already worked out who had passed and failed by the way the envelopes were addressed! The passes had something additional on the envelope, the fails were hand-written with no extra sticker.

There are very few regions still have the eleven plus.

So do the results come in the post, at home to parents? Or by email or something? Or do the kids get told at school?

Got the results, she just missed out, I'm fine with it and I'm sure she'll be fine in the long run.

Just gutted for her, first real exam experience.

I can only tell her that it's for the best, that majority go to non grammar so she will be in good company.

Sorry to hear that. I think that's why it was abolished in most places so it wasn't a clear pass or fail. Are there any comprehensive schools in your area?

plenty, we are technically just out of catchment for all in a no mans land but a few good ones we will apply to.

albeit getting that application in together is a palava with stbx

Yes sounds like you could tell your daughter you're very pleased with the result because you think comprehensive schools are better than grammar schools and she would be happier at a comprehensive school and have lots of opportunities.

No idea what the 11 plus is like now but it was noddy when I did it. Lots of diagrams of stickmen sitting on seesaws and asking which way it would tip etc. My bright spark of a teacher decided not to tell us it was the actual exam (we had lots of practice ones) in case it made us nervous. I was bored, thinking it was another practice, and didn't make much effort and spent half the time looking out of the window. At the end she said - that was your 11 plus. I failed of course! But now have a degree.

Yes, in my time it was a bite more complicated but there weren't a lot of good comps around.

She was upset but the evening went well, both parents consoled her and I spent the evening with the kids playing active games which was a great way to disperse the emotional energy.

She is ready for the discussions that will inevitably follow in school tomorrow!

Thanks, MJ 😊

@MagicJ is there anything you'd recommend in terms of preparation. My youngest has just started year4 and I think she'll be sitting. She's the kind of kid that likes a challenge so I think she'll fancy doing it.

@MagicJ is there anything you'd recommend in terms of preparation. My youngest has just started year4 and I think she'll be sitting. She's the kind of kid that likes a challenge so I think she'll fancy doing it.
Only people I know whose kids did it had private coaching to help get them through it.

Hey @Roblox ,

So, Yr 4 will be about building knowledge, Yr 5 will be about exam technique.
One of the things you should cover is vocab, the below is good for her to learn now & commit to memory:

It comes in 2 styles, CEM & GL, pick them one for the 11+ style being done where you are.

Outside of this, if youre not going to do tuition full time then get her to wrok through the BOND series of books, again pick the CEM or GL as appropriate for your area:

These come in age brackets, start her on the appropriate level but push her through them so she is above level by the time of the exam.

I would also find a local centre that 11+ sittings in Yr 5, they do exam style 2hr sittings so she gets familiar closer to the exam on how it could possibly be.

Right now, understanding is key, Yr 5 becomes about getting the techniques, including doing it all under timed conditions.

Hope that Helps!

Back